Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 02, 2020 3:35 pm

I did the English muffins today.
My pictures are always "too large" to post.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Ah, sorry Sue, missed that bit :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 02, 2020 3:41 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I did the English muffins today.

I take photos on my phone and download them to my email address. I get the option to choose the picture size at that point. Then I go into my emails, retrieve the attached photo and save it to my picture folder ...

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 pm

Made a tray of chocolate chip flapjacks today.

It's a recipe from an old M&S cookbook (1970's) and quite different from flapjacks as we would know them now. Daughters favourite flapjacks!

Postby Binky » Sun May 03, 2020 1:37 pm

I wanted to try a carrot cake using pineapple, cranberries and a banana plus carrots of course. This is the result, out of the oven ten minutes ago.

Will 'ice' it with cream cheese, icing sugar and walnuts.

Hopefully some will be left for VE Day on Friday.

Postby Suffs » Sun May 03, 2020 2:17 pm

We're not really eating any sweet treats during lockdown ... unless you count porridge with stewed rhubarb ... so this morning I made some spiced buns (River Cottages HCB recipe, without the cross)

Spiced buns.JPG

They smell great ... can I wait until 'afternoon tea time' ... would it be ok to have one for lunch do you think? ... (we don't eat our main meal until the evening even on a Sunday)

Postby Binky » Sun May 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Suffs, we too don't eat Sunday lunch until late. A plate of sandwiches and salad with tea and cake fills the gap. Here's the carrot cake also.

Postby Suffs » Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Oooh you've given me an urge for crisp juicy cucumber ... that'd better go on the list for Wednesday ...

Postby smitch » Sun May 03, 2020 3:02 pm

I’ve got a batch of white chocolate and raspberry blondies in the oven. Never tried the recipe before, if it works I’ll post it later.

Postby Suffs » Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Oooh yes please

Postby smitch » Sun May 03, 2020 3:40 pm

The blondies are delicious. This is the recipe, I threw a few chopped nuts in there too https://www.sweetestmenu.com/white-chocolate-and-raspberry-blondies/

Warning, it is a really annoying website!

Postby jeral » Sun May 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Re dough hook dough riding up, I've seen chefs using stand mixers who poke the stem of the hook through a paper plate to stop icing sugar becoming airborne than is left in the bowl ;) Would that work for dough? Also, I seem to recall that Kenwood prides itself on having replaceable parts so worth asking.

I have a pack of ready rolled shortcrust which will magically transform into a deep apple pie, probably with lattice crust as whichever baking tin I try, there's never quite enough in one sheet to make both a bottom and a top. I've resisted buying one of those cut and pull lattice rollers, being more kitchen fodder, but hopefully the apples won't have gone mouldy by the time I've done the folding back and forth of the strips.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:11 pm

I'd quite like to bake a no added sugar fruit cake as I have a 500g bag of very good dried mixed fruit.

Do you think this recipe would work without the dates? (I also don't have an orange, but could substitute tea to simmer the fruit in.) I'd scale down the other ingredients.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/no-a ... -cake.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Do you mean the prunes? I can't see dates. Dates always add a great deal of sweetness but I wouldn't have thought that prunes were quite so sweet.

Without an orange as well it might lack something - unless you used a scented tea maybe. It's a lot of precious dried fruit to experiment with! I managed to get some sultanas last week for the first time during the current situation.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 03, 2020 6:28 pm

jeral wrote:Re dough hook dough riding up, I've seen chefs using stand mixers who poke the stem of the hook through a paper plate to stop icing sugar becoming airborne than is left in the bowl ;) Would that work for dough? Also, I seem to recall that Kenwood prides itself on having replaceable parts so worth asking.

You can buy a collar to fit on a Kenwood Chef bowl that stops ingredients being chucked out of the bowl while mixing.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Do you mean the prunes? I can't see dates. Dates always add a great deal of sweetness but I wouldn't have thought that prunes were quite so sweet.

Without an orange as well it might lack something - unless you used a scented tea maybe. It's a lot of precious dried fruit to experiment with! I managed to get some sultanas last week for the first time during the current situation.

Oops, yes I did mean prunes :oops: Most of the recipes I was looking at had dates in, and I don't have any of those either!

I could use Lady Grey tea, which is orangey - I think that's a good idea! Thx :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 03, 2020 7:55 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
WWordsworth wrote:I did the English muffins today.

I take photos on my phone and download them to my email address. I get the option to choose the picture size at that point. Then I go into my emails, retrieve the attached photo and save it to my picture folder ...

briochebuns.jpg

These are the brioche buns I made today, inspired by seeing StokeySue's attempt :thumbsup They are absolutely delicious. Daughter and I had a totally home made supper tonight.... I made the buns and she made the burgers (well her interpretation .. never had a burger with chopped carrot in before ;) :yum )

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
briochebuns.jpg

These are the brioche buns I made today, inspired by seeing StokeySue's attempt :thumbsup They are absolutely delicious. Daughter and I had a totally home made supper tonight.... I made the buns and she made the burgers (well her interpretation .. never had a burger with chopped carrot in before ;) :yum )

Wow! :clap :clap :yum

Postby Amyw » Sun May 03, 2020 8:52 pm

I use this https://postimages.org/.

Click on choose images , then photo library and select your photo then done . Underneath the photo , copy the direct link .

Go to your post here and click on the Img button above the reply box . . That’s what you’ll get , then click in between the two [img] and paste your photo link .i don’t know if any of this makes sense but Gill explained it to me , probably far better than this and I find posting photos a doddle now .

Nice baps Patsy :klingonbanana

Binky , good to see you posting again and great looking cake . Hope you’re feeling ok?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 04, 2020 11:00 am

thanks Amy .. I am always surprised when my bread products work out well .. I am now almost out of Strong White Flour (and Plain) so Daughter's mission today (should she accept it ;) ) is to find more.

I will have a look at that link - hoping it may be simpler than the route I currently use .. :thumbsup :clap

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox