Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 01, 2020 11:02 am

Earthmaiden wrote:They look wonderful, Sue. I had no idea you could attempt to make bread dough with a hand mixer, it's the kneading I hate.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s very good for it, a stand mixer would be better

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 01, 2020 11:19 am

Yes, I'd make bread regularly if I had one! I've even had lessons with Richard Bertinet but still don't think my kneading is great. I have made bread a good deal over the years, at one time ex-OH would only eat home made :evil: but apart from focaccia and rolls I have never been really proud of my bread.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Fri May 01, 2020 11:48 am

I have just made a coffee/walnut sponge, hope the icing sets soon :lol:

Postby scullion » Fri May 01, 2020 11:57 am

my partner mixes the ingredients for bread with a couple of spoons (hates the waste and time washing off his hands), leaves the dough overnight and uses the no knead method. it gets flopped into the tray for baking, left to rise again and comes out of the 'oven' like any other bread. if it took a load of effort he wouldn't bother, i'm sure!

there are two loaves waiting and i've asked for chocolate brownies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 01, 2020 12:13 pm

I definitely wouldn’t be mixing the ingredients for the brioche/burger buns by hand, way too gloopy, it kind of sorts itself out during the first rising, and clearly doesn’t require the full 10 minutes machine beating stated, which I suspect is just a standard bread mixing method

As the recipe made 8 full size buns I won’t be playing with it again for a while - it’s only 420g flour so should fit in the processor, start as pastry with the butter and keep going until the mix forms a smooth ball, which I’d expect to take a couple of minutes

I quite like kneading, and it’s good for my damaged hand

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 01, 2020 12:18 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:

I'm torn between apple or lemon cake this weekend. The apples have been in the house longer than the lemons so I think it'll be apple. It'll be Uschi's recipe which sounds nicer than the one I've used for years.

I will probably make another (Dutch ?) apple tray bake, tried last week and was delicious. With only 5 ingredients, much simpler too.

Yesterday I made a couple of flans . I wanted to experiment with using half and half bitzed oats and SR Flour (as I have plenty of that). One was smoked salmon and the other was cheese, bacon and onion, both declared delicious by daughter :thumbsup :clap

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:11 pm

DS and GF have announced they're giving up sugar for May :shock: ... so I'd better not do much baking or OH and I will eat it all :(

There are the remains of a delicious banana and walnut loaf in the tin, which we'll polish off today.
I hope yours turns out well, PP - it looks really interesting! Looking forward to hearing about it if you get round to making it!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 pm

coffee/walnut sponge

My favourite! I'm on my way over.

Sue,those buns look excellent. My hand beaters have dough attachments. Does yours?

Bea, I made your apple recipe.
Mine turned more into a pudding, as I added a bit of liquid to the mix. I think I should have pureed the apples, rather than leave them chunky - that way I wouldn't have added liquid.
Absolutely delicious with a slosh of cream, thank you.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 pm

So glad to hear that, Gill! Pic looks great :yum

Postby Pampy » Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 pm

Sue - those buns look really professional! :clap :clap

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Sue,those buns look excellent. My hand beaters have dough attachments. Does yours?

Yes, that’s what I used, the dough is a weird texture and climbed up them, it was a bit like Quatermass, I had to clean dough out of the holes the beaters click into. I suspect that one of the advantages of a stand mixer would be that a K beater would deal better with the texture

My hand mixer is quite powerful and I wasn’t worried about using it on a modest amount of very soft dough, until I was!

Thanks Pampy - I think they do, which given the explanation above is a shock :o

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm

Toying with the idea of having a bash at English muffins today...

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 02, 2020 1:37 am

I made Sunflower´s Cheesecake again. Only this time, i made it for my neighbour!!

Postby Wic » Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 am

I thought I’d try a King Arthur Flour recipe for what they call a Chocolate Cake Pan Cake, apparently if you want to, you can put everything into the cake tin, mix it there and bake it. I decided to do it in a bowl, the tin method could be messy.

It contains no eggs or butter, but uses baking powder, oil and cider vinegar instead, so seemed a good Lockdown bake. It came out well, nice and fudgy, though I think it should have had a greater proportion of cocoa in it, it wasn’t as chocolatey as I like. It probably helped that I put a ganache on top. I’ll certainly make it again, with a few tweaks, though I might call it a Chocolate Fudge Cake, it sounds more appetising.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 02, 2020 10:11 am

Stokey Sue wrote:

Yes, that’s what I used, the dough is a weird texture and climbed up them, it was a bit like Quatermass, I had to clean dough out of the holes the beaters click into. I suspect that one of the advantages of a stand mixer would be that a K beater would deal better with the texture

My hand mixer is quite powerful and I wasn’t worried about using it on a modest amount of very soft dough, until I was!

Thanks Pampy - I think they do, which given the explanation above is a shock :o

I recall from my days of owning a Kenwood Chef mixer (how I regret giving it away :thumbsdown :cry: ) the Dough Hook also had a collar at the top to stop the dough climbing up..

Thought I might have a go at these today ... Sue, I see the recipe lists Dry Active Yeast ... I only have Instant yeast. do you think that would work ? Thinking out loud, as it's the only yeast I have, I will give it a go :crossed :thumbsup

Postby aero280 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:50 am

I don’t do banana bread, or anything else banana, because of an allergy. But I do use the hand mixer to knead the bread.

I used to do the kneading by hand, but using the bread hooks on the hand mixer means that I can make the bread a bit more “hands free”. I do the baking while doing other things around the house and car, so I often have the odd scratch, plaster, etc. on my fingers. So using the mixer is safer.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 02, 2020 11:22 am

I made Uschi's apple cake (with a few small tweaks :oops: ). It turned out well, I wondered about the melted butter poured over at the end but it makes a delicious glaze. If I make it again I might add a handful of sultanas. Nicer eaten as is rather than with cream or similar IMO.

Interested that you tried the chocolate cake, Wic. I've seen that recipe around and wondered what it would be like.

Really want dough hooks now. My mother's Kenwood hand mixer had them but I gave it to DD. It is over 50 years old but still going strong.

Postby Pampy » Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am

My Kenwood Chef is 46 years old. I had it totally refurbished a few years ago and it works and looks as good as it was when I first got it! Before I had bread makers, I always used it to make bread but bread makers are so convenient and the timer function is great. However, the Kenwood always produced better loaves.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:47 pm

"Miracle" bread in the oven in its last 15 mins to brown on top ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 02, 2020 1:28 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
I recall from my days of owning a Kenwood Chef mixer (how I regret giving it away :thumbsdown :cry: ) the Dough Hook also had a collar at the top to stop the dough climbing up..

Thought I might have a go at these today ... Sue, I see the recipe lists Dry Active Yeast ... I only have Instant yeast. do you think that would work ? Thinking out loud, as it's the only yeast I have, I will give it a go :crossed :thumbsup

Yes if you read back I used instant yeast mixed with the flour

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox