Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:03 am

Will be expecting a show n tell Aero!

KC2 - love things like that - there's a NZ one that uses courgettes and feta. So good.

Pillowy brioche bap buns. Tweaked from a recipe Stokey Sue made and posted early in the thread. BLTs last night, hamburgers with all the trimmings the night before. Mr 0 is very partial.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Perfection!

Postby aero280 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:06 pm

I love a soft bread roll from time to time. :)

Postby aero280 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:12 pm

Finally the cake has made its public appearance! :)

She suspected something was going on because there was no way I could disguise a fruit cake in the over for over 2 hours.

But it has been well received and we will cut it during a Zoom meeting with the family this afternoon.

I managed the white decoration while she was out at a funeral. The pink piping was done while she was on a zoom call on Monday evening with the Harrow Philharmonic Choir.

the edge piping was much neater when done, but it suffered while hidden away in a tin and had to have some last minute repairs.

IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG (55.07 KiB) Viewed 3059 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Lovely aero! Congratulations :clap

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:01 pm

That's super! I bet she was pleased! :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:

Postby aero280 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:49 pm

She is very happy. We are going to cut the cake at 3pm during the family Zoom chat.

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:22 pm

aero280 wrote:She is very happy. We are going to cut the cake at 3pm during the family Zoom chat.

Please offer all our Happy Wishes for today and for many more happy days - and delicious cakes :)

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:40 pm

That's a cake, Aero! How was the inside?

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:59 pm

Nice one Aero!

Postby aero280 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:13 pm

It's a nice cake. I'm pleased with it. The inside is firm but moist enough. I was worried it would be a bit overbaked and dry, but underbaked and soggy is worse.

I posted earlier that i used the Mary Berry Simnel Cake recipe but without the cooked marzipan in the centre.

I just have to practice my piping. I first did a piping demo at school when I was 7 years old! The school had an annual arts & crafts festival. But the last serious work I did was about 35 years ago for my parents Ruby Wedding cake. When I did this cake I was limited by the colours I had in the house. It was going to be pink or green!! I chose pink... Then I hid it in a biscuit tin, but it was a tight fit and it slipped a bit and touched the sides, so I had to do a quick repair this afternoon.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Raspberry and white chocolate tart for my friend who’s just had a little girl

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 pm

Lovely! Congratulations to your friend, I do hope all went smoothly and mother and baby are doing well :clap
I've thought over and over again that having a baby during the pandemic must be awful - not the "having" as such, although when dads weren't allowed to be there at some stage, that must have been very distressing, but the fact that you're so cut off from friends, helpers, NCT etc etc

And for their part, babies and children growing up in an outside environment where everyone is wearing masks, it must be really strange - that delightful smile from a baby in a pushchair on a bus and interacting with him/her with facial expressions - they're missing out on all that.

Like the coversation we're having about hearing aids, lip reading on the wellness thread.

Anyway, what a gorgeous looking tart!

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:21 am

I saw a story on the tv news today about a pregnant nurse who became seriously ill with Covid so was given an emergency c-section, which she doesn't remember. Today, after 3 months, she held her daughter for the first time. Think I must have been cutting onions up when I heard that.

Amy - you're at it again with pictures of your lovely food! Think you might have to adopt me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:37 am

That is a good looking tart Amy, sounds nice too!

Congratulations to your friend.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Thank you all , it’s an incredibly easy recipe , looks much better than the sum of it’s parts . She had a water birth at home abc think all went well

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 pm

Beautiful creation, Amy! Well done!!

Last night I watched Masterchef USA (again) and they had the contestants making a molten chocolate lava cake. It all looked so easy... until I saw the results!!
I love chocolate, and we´ve got some excellent products in Venezuela.
Anyone make this on a fairly regular basis? Any tricks/warnings/special tips on how to do it?

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks KKA... I’ve not made one before but I understand your oven temperature is crucial , as a minute or two cooking difference either side means you don’t get that lovely gooey centre . I’d be tempted to make individual ones then cook all at once but with a slight variation in timings so you can work out exactly what’s right for you and your oven

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:40 pm

The thing about molten lava cakes is that you have to like semi cooked batter and cake surround that's not quite cake as we know it, i.e. compare a chocolate mug cake to a proper cake. Thus my best tip would be to make and enjoy truffles instead to avoid disappointment of wasting good chocolate. A secondary tip is that some recipes add a spot of espresso to bring out the chocolatelyness.

I made a lemon cake today with a filling of a bit of lemon curd (veggie jar) and only a spot of whipped cream, which I'm finding is scarce on the shelves at the moment. Maybe we lockdowners are all becoming indulgent...

Postby aero280 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Funny you should mention cream. Costco were out of double cream last week. i had to make do with a pack of clotted cream instead. :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox