Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 am

Yes, in fact they softened slightly overnight, which I would entirely put down to the dried fruit... :-(

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:00 am

They look wonderful. :mug:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Oooh, another one for the email recipe file ;) :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Sakkarin, if you want to crisp biscuits up, try microwaving two or three on a piece of kitchen paper for about 10 seconds. Leave to cool on a grid (or balanced over a couple of skewers)

My teeth and throat (choking) don't like even tiny gritty bits of nuts so I'd do a Dame Edna and sub with maraschino cherries :)

Postby Amber » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:46 am

Thank you, I will try the onions next time I make pastry (not very often!). I happen to have a tub of lockdown onions to use up.
(Bought for the green bean casserole recipe)
I’m quite excited about this...why has no-one suggested this before?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:38 am

I am sure there are future wonders to be revealed using those fried onions, I bet there are curry recipes out there that cut out the smelliest bit, frying off the onions and garlic. I have been slipping discreet amounts of garlic powder into several things I've cooked in recent months to see how they taste, and for my favourite recent satay recipe I used all three - ground fried onion, garlic powder and ginger powder.

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Garlic powder makes everything taste foul to me, but not to everyone as they seem to add it to everything in the California region (their pico de gallo style things especially). Frozen cubes are OK but seriously strong.

Back on pastry, rolling (untoasted) sesame seeds and nigella seeds onto pastry lids is a tip I learned from some bought vegetable sos rolls.

On the cards today are veg pies with roasted butternut squash, sage, mushrooms, garlic cloves and cherry toms plus (V) mozzi ball and strong cheddar. Thinking shortcrust would suit better than flaky.

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:42 pm

The veg pies sound nice but the mozzarella intrigues me. Do you just add chunks to the pie mix with the grated cheese?

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Amyw, I intend to blindbake the base, put the squash at the bottom, tom halves with scrunched salty EVOO croutons, mush & garlic next, then mozzi and grated cheese scattered, then pastry lid on. Either it works or it doesn't :lol:

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:45 pm

We have a lot of blackcurrants in the garden so I’m making the summer berry pie on the BBC good food site tomorrow.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/summer-berry-pie

I’ve seen a blackcurrant sorbet recipe too so that will use up some more.

Postby Uschi » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I baked a Quark-bilberry cake or rather one cake and two jar cakes. The latter behaved and the lids have already "plopped" showing they have achieved a vacuum. The one in the tin broke apart when I turned it out. Well, one end broke off. I probably didn't wait long enough. But it looks good and smells delicious. I have put it back in the tin to let it cool off for longer. And if it won't reassamble , it's only one corner ... we can simply cut that off and eat it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:22 pm

I made these this afternoon as I had one extremely black banana. It was a new recipe (http://www.gourmetmum.tv/easy-recipes/banana-flapjacks)
I used a 2lb loaf tin for one-third quantities - about 85g of oats and got 18 bite sized flapjacks (I forgot to take a pic until after I'd already tried one :lol: )
Attachments
Banana flapjacks resized.jpg
Banana flapjacks resized.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 6913 times

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:00 pm

I Finally got the scones right, using Delia´s recipe, but with a bit less milk. A special request from a client whose dad had lived in London and just loved scones with strawberry jam and cream.
I also got the Naan bread right - with a lower oven temperature than I had used before. There´s lunch, with a chickpea curry!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 pm

I’ve got a recipe for Cornish fairings to make tomorrow. I’ve not made them before but they look like they’d go very nicely with an afternoon cup of tea.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:40 pm

They sound lovely OMCO :yum.

KC2, I had a banana so overripe that even I, who likes overripe bananas didn't want it. I thought I'd try your flapjack recipe and, like you, made a third of the mixture but baked it in 8 dollops on a silicone baking mat. It worked very well and made a breakfast treat with some left. I don't really like banana cake or biscuits but it's a good one for overripe bananas. If I ever make them again I think I'd add more cinnamon and a few chopped nuts.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Glad they were successful, EM! Yes, I agree about more cinnamon and the chopped nuts idea is lovely too.

I don't think we'll have any more balck bananas for a while as the Tesco delivered ones today are really green. Luckily we've got one ripe one left for tomorrow morning's breakfast :lol:

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Today I used a Cup of sourdough discard to make a batch of cheese scones ... I used my usual Tamasin Day Lewis recipe using Bicarb and Cream of Tartar with dilute yoghurt, but added the cup of sourdough starter according to the principles here https://www.baking-sense.com/2019/11/26 ... gh-scones/

I've just taken them out of the oven, they've risen beautifully and look great ... I'll let you know in a bit when they've cooled, how they taste .......

IMG_1880.JPG

Edited to say: Oh my word ... they're a real success ... so light and fluffy and a good flavour ... not sour, just really tasty. I tried it with cheese scones as I thought it might be a bit 'savoury' but next time I'll have no hesitation in using the starter with plain or fruit scones. What a discovery :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:12 pm

did you use the whole amount of bicarb in the recipe? - it seemed quite a lot.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:16 pm

I used 1lb sgtrong white flour with 2 tspn baking powder and 2 tspns cream of tartar

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Good-looking scones there!!
A question for you. What does cream of tartar do to a recipe? What difference does it make?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox