Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Thank you. I'm putting it down to the recipe!

2 have been claimed for tomorrow's lunch, the rest are going in the freezer for burgers sometime.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:07 pm

Gooseberry clafoutis this week - same recipe as the rhubarb & blood orange posted last month but with gooseberries (obviously) and a glug of elderflower cordial instead.

Waitrose has bread from the Bertinet Bakery.

We recently got a Waitrose delivery. They failed to deliver several items of fruit and veg that were on the order and gave us some bread and mushrooms that weren't. The bread was Bertinet seeded sourdough. It had very little to commend it, just sliced wrapped bread with PR. We subsequently got a refund for the missing goods but it was stuff we were counting on so were rather let down. Tesco, by contrast have been excellent. Some things unavailable of course and others subbed but they've done what they said.

Postby dennispc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Lovely buns slimpersoninside. :thumbsup

We bought a RB loaf once in Gloucester Services, not impressed.

Last week a dough mix went wrong and I finished up with too much bread to fit into a tin, so free formed a boule. Worked fine.

Tried again yesterday with a normal wholemeal mix and was very pleased with the result. Needed a deeper slash.

cob.JPG

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:13 pm

That looks a good bit of bread , perfect for dunking a chunk into soup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Yesterday I made a cheesy flan, mainly from stuff I had put in the freezer when I thought I was going to be entertaining several oldies on Easter Sunday .. :roll:

So: a tub of cottage cheese (not frozen but over bought by daughter), a pack of boursin herb and garlic cheese, 2 eggs, 250g grated, extra strong cheddar, a sprinkle of paprika pepper, all. beaten together and poured into a flan case made from a block of pastry from the freezer ... Now that's where it all went wrong :roll: It was puff pastry, but I was keen to get it eaten. I didn't think I would end up with such a soggy bottom :oops: :cry:

However, with the right pastry, an easy recipe that took hardly any time to throw together ;) :thumbsup Daughter likes it anyway, so that's a plus :clap

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 pm

That sounds nice Pat. Our wholefood cafe used to do sweetcorn and cottage cheese (which also contained sauteed onion). Very popular.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Just made banana bread, and thought I'd downsized the recipe for one banana, but realised too late it needed 2 bananas, and I only had 1.5, so I subbed 40g of grated carrot as an experiment. It was absolutely fab!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:18 pm

That sounds good Sakkarin, I can see it working well.

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to messing with baking recipes, really must learn to be a bit braver.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:16 pm

I'll often make an "exactly as the recipe" version before experimenting, but in this case the recipes I found were so different that I made mine up from the outset, my version being mostly based on Doughboy's recipe. I didn't have any peanut butter to hand however this time, so I left it out (hence tweak to my version), so it's not really very Doughboyish now! And I forgot the vanilla, but it didn't matter.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:24 pm

I hope the FC recipe is in grams :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:32 pm

I'm in the process of doing the same thing with scones... My first attempt was a failure. I suspect I over-baked them as they just didn't look cooked to me - the result was something that needed to be dipped in tea to soften them enough to eat :roll: :oops:

So I am looking at Good Housekeeping; Delia; 2 (supposedly official) Buckingham Palace chefs and any other recipe that you lot might recommend as fool-proof ....

:thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Those look great!

Postby smitch » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:17 pm

Pat, I always used Nigella’s recipe but swapped to Delia’s ‘plain scones’ when I had loads of SR flour and not much plain.

For cheese scones I use Felicity’s ‘perfect’ recipe in the Guardian.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:23 pm

G H all the way for me, but I do use buttermilk instead of ordinary milk. ( Bearing in mind that I am a philistine and my milk of choice is UHT skimmed)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:41 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I'm in the process of doing the same thing with scones... My first attempt was a failure

By coincidence I made some cheese scones earlier for my lunchtime snack.

The most important thing is to get them straight in the oven when you've made the dough. Also the dough should not be too dry. My college crib sheet is on this thread, where we go on about cheese scones!
http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforum/vie ... 612#p73612

My "one big scone recipe" (60g of flour) I sometimes divide into 4 and roll them into "breadsticks".

EDIT: Whoops, now I remember why I didn't post a pic at the time, they look rather unpleasant here! I can assure you they tasted great, though...

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 pm

My word, the scone in the picture looks wonderful Sakkarin! Pleased to see not an egg in sight (it was only recently that I discovered people added eggs to scones).

The other thing you should never do is twist the cutter as you cut - push straight down only.

Not being a huge fan of banana bread (both texture and taste), I'm wondering if carrot might improve it, peanut butter definitely would. I might try it.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:14 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:G H all the way for me, but I do use buttermilk instead of ordinary milk. ( Bearing in mind that I am a philistine and my milk of choice is UHT skimmed)

I would have used this recipe, but there is no sugar in it :?: Also wondered about using SR flour AND baking powder :?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
The most important thing is to get them straight in the oven when you've made the dough. Also the dough should not be too dry.

One of the Buck House chefs uses egg AND recommends resting twice .. 30 mins after flattening the dough then 20 mins after rolling out to 2.5cm thick .... he uses plain flour and BP :roll: :?

I think I will settle for Delia's ;) :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 pm

It was the first post on that page I thought I'd linked to, not the one with the pic of my scone! Here's the "college crib sheet" I referred to, it was several posts before that one...

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 pm

I made a loganberry and jostaberry crumble. I think it's going to be nice. The juices did rise up rather.

I used the food processor this time for the crumble and made extra to freeze. Food processor useage a bit of a game changer.

IMG_2509.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox