Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Your pie, Suffs, looks far better than the ones in the recipe photo 8-) The 50:50 pastry is a good idea too as I find it seems to fit better taste-wise with veg pies.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pm

WolfGirl wrote:Suffs, that looks fantastic! :yum

Did you brush the top with the aqua faba in the end?

No, I didn't ... I used soaked/dried/boiled chickpeas rather than tinned, so wasn't sure if the liquid would be the same, and as we're by no means vegan and OH was having omelette for lunch I used a little eggwash. The pastry was made with lard and butter too.

Thanks folks ... I am very pleased with it myself :oops: :thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Fab looking pie suffs :yum
I seldom make Yorkshire puddings and have been know to end up with flat pancakes :oops: but I was pleased with the ones I cooked yesterday (we like them well done) :D
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-17 at 19.38.56.jpeg

Postby Busybee » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Excellent Yorkshire’s LTC.

I made a chocolate cake from the afternoon tea cookbook by the Bettys grandson. I didn’t have any buttermilk so subbed natural yogurt, it turned out as light as a feather. Very surprised as I used my food processor to cream the butter sugar and eggs, I usually use either hand or hand held small mixer. Didn’t have any chocolate to make buttercream icing so sandwiched it with a mixture of raspberry and strawberry jam. As a cobbled together kind of thing it turned out remarkably well!

BB
Attachments
A7C76BB6-62F3-4525-874A-22BF44E9E2D3.jpeg
A7C76BB6-62F3-4525-874A-22BF44E9E2D3.jpeg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 pm

Busybee wrote:Excellent Yorkshire’s LTC.

I made a chocolate cake from the afternoon tea cookbook by the Bettys grandson. I didn’t have any buttermilk so subbed natural yogurt, it turned out as light as a feather. Very surprised as I used my food processor to cream the butter sugar and eggs, I usually use either hand or hand held small mixer. Didn’t have any chocolate to make buttercream icing so sandwiched it with a mixture of raspberry and strawberry jam. As a cobbled together kind of thing it turned out remarkably well!

BB

That's good to know, BB, I've always avoided using the magimix to do that. Did you start with soft butter?

Postby Busybee » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Not really, maybe 10 minutes out of the fridge - but I did cut it up into quite small chunks.

I was surprised that it worked out so well.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm

Yorkies look great ltc - as do the kitchen tiles which seem to be the same as mone or very similar :D

Cake looks good too BB

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 pm

BB

Looks good BB.

Is this the chocolate fudge cake?

Thanks.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:34 pm

2 batches of flapjacks, 1 plain for us and the other chocolate chip for daughter.

Postby Busybee » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:48 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:

BB

Looks good BB.

Thanks.

No, just the standard chocolate cake on page 198

BB

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Tomato and courgette tart, using a sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry.
It's loosely based on an Ottolenghi recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ottolenghi
Attachments
Tomato and courgette tart.JPG
Tomato and courgette tart.JPG (36.98 KiB) Viewed 3174 times

Postby liketocook » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Some lovely looking bakes folks :yum
Sue - we must share the same excellent taste in tiles ;) :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Just looking back at the most recent pics - and at the tiles! All very nice. The Yorkies look tasty, as does the cake and very inviting tomato tart.

I have only relatively recently got an electric hand mixer. I used to be happy to make cakes by hand but when I got a food processor over 20 years ago was under the impression they would replace mixers and it has mixed many lovely cakes for me.

It saddens me when modern TV chefs give the impression that nothing can be made without some kind of gadget. It must put a lot of young would-be cooks off.

The only thing I've made lately is scones with GD last week as I didn't have any bread for lunch and they can be rustled up so quickly and GD likes rubbing in and cutting out.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:47 pm

BB[/quote]
Looks good BB.

Thanks.[/quote]

No, just the standard chocolate cake on page 198

BB[/quote]
I don't have the book☹, just happened to find the Choc Fudge on-line.

Postby aero280 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Well, I have made a cake for OH's birthday on Sunday. It has to be simple as I don't have much time to keep it secret. I baked it last evening while she was occupied with the Harrow Philharmonic Chorus "Zoom rehearsal", but there was a baking smell around, so she may have guessed.

Fortunately she has "had" to go out to a funeral and I have managed to get the icing done and the cake hidden. I'll try and do the piping later when she is involved in a Zoom meeting or something.

It's basically the Mary Berry simnel cake without the marzipan. Then a marzipan wrap and a thin white icing glaze.

No photos because we share a photo cloud store and all our photos go to a common pool...
Last edited by aero280 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Busybee » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:20 pm

I’m sure it will be much appreciated Aero.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:36 pm

I'm glad you did aero! I think she'll be thrilled!

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:33 pm

I thought that I could decorate a cake. But obviously I'm out of practice.

I will blame my tools. The Lakeland silicone icing bag is useless. The nozzle pops out of the end when you up the pressure... :(

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:23 pm

aero280, I must confess to cheating and using one of those plastic syringes for blob squirls, chain shells and for writing words. They're a pain to fill and you have to be quick before the icing dries out and they don't hold much, but even so they make icing much easier if not doing a shed load.

TBH I think the obvious effort you've made will be considered far more valuable than a perfect finish, plus you can dine out on describing the trials and tribulations of this second covid-year cake for years to come :D "You' can't imagine how much trouble I went to just to get the flour." <-Lay it on thicker than the icing ;)

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:35 pm

The discussion of the problems will be an essential part!! :D :D

I've done secret baking for OH several times before, but this time it was tricky because she has been stuck in the house. Normally she is out a lot, with her singing and church stuff.

i would normally have most of Sunday, Monday evening, An hour on Tuesday morning, Wednesday lunchtime and Friday morning all to myself. But no chance of that this time.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox