Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby aero280 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Slapdash is more my style! :)

I have been known to actually follow a recipe occasionally, but the odd alteration usually creeps in!

I did try to lessen the dietary consequences of too much cream by using a bit of yogurt, just because I had some left.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I only ever use milk unless it's a very special occasion and I need to particularly impress. We made them regularly in my wholefood cafe days and milk was good enough then.

I know this is a very obvious remark but they really do taste more creamy and special if cream is used so I can see that many people wouldn't want to compromise.

This is Delia - I'd use more eggs and less liquid but Delia is a more reliable guide! https://www.mydish.co.uk/recipe/8993/de ... e-lorraine

I have been known to crack another egg, slosh in a bit more milk/cream and add it to the already filled quiche if the mixture didn't look enough. I do sound slap dash don't I, but that's what I like about quiche, it is quite forgiving. :lol:

Cheers EM, I'll use Delia as a guide along with your improvisations :thumbsup .

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 am

This is the Simon Hopkinson recipe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quic ... aine_03344

Very rich, so it will have a fairly soft, wobbly set which is my preference I like a quiche that is not too firmly set

I’m not sure that is “traditional” quiche Lorraine, because I’ve always understood that the dairy/liquid is partly (from age frail) or as I actually typed fromage frais but that’s a real can of worms

I couldn’t resist having a look to see what Felicity Cloake came up with, she found Hopkinson’s version too heavy but settled for rough puff pastry which I’m not sure about and an egg and cream filling
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... SApp_Other

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks Sue. That Simon Hopkinson filling looks a bit on the firm side for my liking ;) . The Felicity one looks ok but perhaps a bit soft....me, fussy, never!

I have made some rock cakes this morning, fruit for me and hubby and choc chunk for daughter :yum .

Postby smitch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 pm

I've never actually made a quiche :shock: I don't tend to have milk or cream in the fridge and we rarely buy eggs. I also hate making pastry so perhaps it isn't for me anyway :lol:

I made more cheese scones yesterday as I was sent some smoked semi-dried tomatoes as a free gift with a Belazu order. It is an 800g tub I think so will be trying to think of lots of uses for them. They worked really well, will definitely make some more soon as I also found some sorry looking cheese in the back of the freezer!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Homemade quiche is well worth the effort!

Cor, made my first quiche in ages, possibly the tastiest I've made, even though it was economy ingredients. Nothing from a supermarket ever tasted half as good.

Pastry was 150g plain + 50g wholemeal + 100g flora, zooshed up with 2 tsp of crispy fried onions, 0.5 tsp celery seeds, 1 tsp mustard powder + pinch salt.

Budget, so NO cream, but I used the top of the milk from 2 bottles of milkman's full fat milk. 150g bacon + 1 onion fried, 125g cheddar/emmenthal, 1 tsp flour, 285ml milk, 2 large eggs, 0.25 tsp salt.

Couldn't find the bottom of my usual quiche tin, so I used a ring, and forgot the golden rule; "leave the last ladleful until it's in the oven", so it looked a bit of a mess, but spot on tastewise.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:39 pm

I love quiches , one of those dishes much greater than the sum of its parts

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 pm

In the end I enjoyed it so much I thought it was worth a pic. It looks absolutely rubbish from the other side...

My "hindsight" tweaks to the recipe - it was a bit too salty, so no added salt, and I'd also reduce the bacon to 125g unless you are a baconoholic.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm

That quiche looks wonderful, Sakks!

I had chocolate withdrawal symptoms yesterday and decided I absolutely HAD to have a fix. So I bought some chocolate and made some salted caramel chocolate bars. My being an inept baker didn´t really help, because I overcooked them a bit and they turned out a little dry, rather than chewy in the middle. I always forget that I live at 4,000 ft above sea level and forget to factor that in to the cooking. Never mind - they´ll all get eaten anyway!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:06 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I live at 4,000 ft above sea level and forget to factor that in
How would you factor that in‽ (Note the interrobang...)

I have been lusting after cantuccini/biscotti since I managed to stop myself from buying a huge bag of them on special offer at Lidl a few weeks back. It's got to be done, I will be off for a bag of almonds later.

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm

I've noticed a lot of US baking recipes have different instructions for people at higher altitude so it must affect how things cook.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Because of decreased atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes, the boiling point of liquids decreases so they evaporate faster and the gases in bakery products expand more quickly. This affects cooking time.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:02 pm

I wanted to do a page on this in my food book but they would't let me. I had a nice infographic lined up about cooking times.

I'd like to make some sort of plum streusel. Need to find a recipe.

Salted caramel chocolate bars are calling to me too, now.

I am sure this is a direct result of acknolwedging that I need to lose weight/fat.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Biscotti done, looking forward to dunking them in my coffee tomorrow morning, if there's any left!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Seriously fantastic, Sakk!! Have you made them before? They look totally brilliant!!

Postby Amber » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 am

Ooh, Sakkarin, crispy fried onions in pastry sound good. Do you mean the packs of ready made ones?

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 am

Sakks - those biscotti look amazing. I wish I could make them (and eat them) but unfortunately, my teeth beg to differ.

As for cooking at altitude: yes, I´ve noticed that a recipe which says " Bake for 20 minutes" results in a biscuit/cake which is undercooked. I don´t understand it and, as a totally inept scientist (maths, physics) will probably never dominate the subject. What I usually do is follow the recipe exactly, pull it out of the oven, take a look at it ( and stick a toothpick in it) and then decide: OK, it needs 2-3 minutes more.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:02 am

I was interested in the onions added to pastry too. Excellent tip.
The biscotti look very professional.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:16 am

Ive made them a few times before, KK, this was the recipe I used this time:
https://www.shadesofcinnamon.com/4-tips ... -biscotti/

My teeth are not really up to the job either, but I go for it anyway. In practice they're not a million miles from children's rusks, and are supposed to be dunked anyway, although I eat them when they're crunchy too.

Although I liked the cranberries in this recipe, in all honesty I think they are probably best as plain almond.

EDIT: Sorry Amber, yes the World Food aisle packs of ready made fried onions...

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 am

They do look nice. Mrs B would worry about her teeth though. Are they harder (as the recipe suggests) without the cranberries?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox