Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:02 pm

That's a shame KC2. I'd bookmarked that's one to try. I think the glaze in the photo makes it look very enticing. I wonder if it'd be nice with a few sultanas added. That wouldn't make it any lighter of course!

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:05 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:That's a shame KC2. I'd bookmarked that's one to try. I think the glaze in the photo makes it look very enticing. I wonder if it'd be nice with a few sultanas added. That wouldn't make it any lighter of course!

I wonder if it was my ineptitude - I had a feeling it was being more mixed than would be good for it. If you get round to trying it anyway, I'd love to hear how yours turns out!

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:49 pm

I can't help re this cake although the tin size can have a bearing.

Just writing to say that I recall Joan Bunting used to recommend an orange cake she'd make. It was different somehow, flourless or maybe semolina or ground almond. It might be possible to switch it to lemon. I'm sure someone will know the one I mean.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:30 pm

I wonder if that was the fabulous Claudia Roden one that uses boiled oranges, including skin, ground almonds, eggs and sugar? One of the easiest cake recipes ever! But you do have to plan it in advance as you have to boil the oranges for a couple of hours, "until the skin can be pierced with the head of a pin", or something like that!

I think I've got a link to it if you'd like it, jeral.

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 pm

I was going ro say the same thing. It's a Claudia Roden recipe, and used by Nigella Lawson in one of her early books (but she did acknowledge the source). It is a lovely moist cake and good with a cup of tea or a dollop of cream for dessert.

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:02 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:... the fabulous Claudia Roden one ...

I think I've got a link to it if you'd like it, jeral.

Thank you, I'd appreciate a link as I recall it was very well received :) Plus it's always good to have non-wheatflour recipes for myself and others who find wheat can be bloating.

Which reminds me of something else. Anna Olson (in Canada) subs some cornflour for wheatflour in some of her recipes. That might be to lighten dense cakes, but I'd have to research that to say with confidence why she does it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm not overly fond of the texture of cakes made with ground almonds or orange flavour. I've made Nigella's version of the traditional orange one but think lemons would be lovely!
I am reading Claudia Roden's book on Jewish cookery which had a whole piece about traditional cakes made from almonds etc.I must have another look (it's on Kindle which isn't great for that kind of book :evil:).

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Binky, when you made the sticky toffee puddings, did you fold the paper wraps? It's a skill I want to acquire, as I think everything sticks to a fluted case, and I prefer the slightly rustic look of the wraps anyway

There are dozens of versions of the orange and almond cake, it seems nearly every home baker in the Middle East has a family recipe though obviously Claudia Roden introduced it to mainstream British baking, though I had a version form a friend brought up in Jordan years ago

This is the recipe
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... lmond-cake

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Just for completeness to my earlier post about subbing some flour with cornflour, there's a link here that explains:
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/cake- ... ubstitute/

It says though that if very moist ingredients are being used, it's better to stick to all purpose flour.

Postby Amber » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 am

Somewhere I have a flourless Greek yoghurt orange cake recipe from Doufeu/Hippo (ex BBC?) which I enjoyed.

I can search if anyone wants it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm

Having read Jay Rayner's piecce on Ottolenghi in Sunday's Observer, I fancy making the apple and olive oil cake.

However, I want to make half quantities, so what size tin do you think I should use? The full recipe is for a 20cm springform. I haven't got a springform small enough (my smallest is a 20cm) but I have other small tins. I'll line base and sides of whatever I use.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ap ... aple-icing

Thx!

Postby aero280 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:21 pm

A 15cm (6 inch) tin will be about right for size, if you only make it half size.

You may wnat to check the cooking time because, even in a tin that size, it will be a little bit thinner.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Brilliant, thanks aero :thumbsup

Postby Amber » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 am

We’ve had this made for us and it was delicious! Made with ‘healthy’ butter spread, the icing wouldn’t set and was more of a sauce, but we all think we prefer it that way. Next time I would try half icing with butter and half with low fat spread for sauce. Alsp apples were very large, so only 1½ needed.

There’s also this suggestion in my notes (not mine)
note: the complex flavours of the cake mature over time so for best results wrap the cake in cling film and refrigerate for up to three days before assembly.
that means make the icing on the day you will be eating the cake. for a lower fat
version, you can simply sift some icing sugar on the top of the cake.

Postby aero280 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 am

I had a play yesterday. I had some double cream that needed using up, so I thought I would make a Victoria sponge with cream instead of butter. Ed Balls did a sponge this way on Celebrity Home Baker last week, which seemed to work. As a further tweak, I separated the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff and folded them in at the end.

The sponge was very light. And the last bit of cream was whipped for the filling along with strawberry jam!! :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:08 pm

:thumbsup :yum aero

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:56 pm

A cake was requested today, no problem as I had a couple of eggs that needed using.

I whipped up a Victoria sponge mix, reduced the sugar slightly and stirred the remains of a jar of mincemeat through it.
(Again... I might have mentioned this before)

Very light and tasty.

I have started using Aldi unsalted butter for baking and it seems to work well.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm

This afternoon, i made my first batch of Welsh Cakes - they were pretty good - not perfect, but I know what to do to improve, next time. I used the cast iron griddle Father Christmas brought me, which was excellent.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:21 pm

The cake tin has been empty for a couple of days.

A family standard has been baked today.

Sultana cake. Simple, plain family style cake. Reminds me of a "Manor House Cake" from my younger days, IIRC made by Mr Kipling.
P1004704 1.jpg
P1004704 1.jpg (226.53 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:15 pm

ooooo looks lovely, slim. Did you sprinkle demerara sugar on the top before you baked it?

Please do share the recipe. I'd be happy to make a change from our boiled fruit cake and I have lots of sultanas.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox