Register

Spinach

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Spinach

Postby Luca » Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 pm

I will!

I love kale and in colder months use it in a porcini and kale (Swiss chard/cavolo Nero) and mushroom (everyday, porcini, substitute what you like) lasagne. Long time ago but Rowley Leigh if I remember correctly and a lot of us tried it. Very tasty.

Kale crisps are great too.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Well I made the Nigel tortelinni recipe with my bag of spinach.
And lovely it is too.

That looks fantastic Gill (missed that post n pic - phone scrolling?) and something that would definitely go down very well here - bookmarking. With you on the simple flavours, too.

Kale and porcini lasagna, Luca. Now you're really talking.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 am

Many years ago, Sarah Brown did a spinach & mushroom lasagna in the original BBC Vegetarian Cookery series, iirc. I had a go and it was perfectly good but I've not made it since.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 am

We're using tinned spinach on Sunday to make a lamb saag, it works really well in curries so keep a can in the cupboard for those but apart from I find it pretty revolting a bit like tinned brussel sprouts IMHO

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 08, 2020 1:03 pm

I've got tinned peas for the same reason, liketocook. I did use them in a medley of steamed vegetables last week when I needed to bulk things out a bit.

It seems such a long time ago when we made the vegetable lasagne.
I haven't made it in years.

Postby spangle » Fri May 08, 2020 11:14 pm

I've been watching lots of recipes for gozleme and similar pastry/bready type things (borek etc) on Youtube recently, and they often use spinach in the fillings. I really love any of those pastry things with any combination of spinach and/or cheese. I've managed to score some flour recently (after weeks of empty shelves), and am teasing myself with hours of watching videos of spinachy dough things before I allow myself to actually attempt to make and eat any.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 10, 2020 2:33 pm

I found a UFO recently (unidentified frozen object) that I decided needed to be used. I thought it was stewed apple, however once it had thawed, I realised it was celeriac purée. It seemed just too runny to be used as a veg, so I decided to make a white veg soup using celery, a large potato, an onion and then added the celeriac. After blitzing, the soup still lacked something ... until I remembered the large bag of baby spinach in the fridge. So a couple of large handfuls of that blitzed in the soup (as well as some fronds of Dill) and it is transformed. :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox