Register

Cheese, ham and tomato sarnie

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cheese, ham and tomato sarnie

Postby mark111757 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Did anyone else watch Saturday morning today toward the end when James was making his sarnie. Around 3:40 to 3:55 in the last segment.

Was that ham, like carving or good quality deli ham next to the swiss cheese, that is listed as Gruyère in the recipe. And no mention of the ham. Do you think a double smoked has would work? Or would the Smokey take away from the sammich

What happened to quality control??? I think it was a waste of tomatoes. I think he used three or four halves. If mum was alive she was would yell at the TV screen.

Re: Cheese, ham and tomato sarnie

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Unfair criticism Mark. These programmes are largely being run by about 3 people because of Social Distancing. All the usual researchers have probably been furloughed or worse. Do you really think James always spouts his own stuff??? And don’t even think about getting the exact ingredients you need.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:01 pm

If anyone else wants to comments on this, please feel free. Otherwise it will end up at the bottom of pile.

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:27 pm

I haven’t seen the programme but is it just a basic sandwich ? In which case , use whatever ingredients you think best . It’s just a sandwich at the end of the day

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 pm

I watched Saturday Kitchen not James

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:31 pm

The James Martin Saturday show is not live, they are showing repeats or cobbled together episodes because of the Coronavirus.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:36 am

Well, I have just watched this. No, it is not 'just' a sandwich. I thought it was JM at his worst actually. The food wasn't wasted (hopefully) but ingredients just excessive.

In simple answer to your question, he said at the very beginning it was a cheese and ham but as you say, he didn't mention the cold ham again although seen to use it. It looked to me like the pretty standard cured ham you'd buy in a supermarket but may have been home cooked with all the fat removed leaving a round shape.

For anyone who didn't see it. He roasted tomato halves with thyme and fried a generous amount of pancetta in oil and butter.

On three slices of sourdough bread he squished the tomatoes so they spread like a paste and then piled the pancetta high on top. He then poured on maple syrup. To this he added a couple of slices of Gruyere and tore the round cold ham slices to fit on top of that and proceeded to pour the fat from the pancetta pan over it all.

Then, piling the slices of bread up and adding a last slice he created a giant layered sandwich. It was very thick. He dipped the whole lot in beaten egg and proceeded to fry it in a ton of butter until the cheese had melted. He served it with the remaining butter from the pan poured over the top until it looked quite unappetising.

It really was a bit much and done quite light heartedly. One wondered if he or his guests would actually eat it, it would certainly have been a waste if they didn't. I doubt you would notice if the ham element was smoked or not.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:44 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:The James Martin Saturday show is not live, they are showing repeats or cobbled together episodes because of the Coronavirus.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

No, they never are but he’s been on Twitter asking for ideas for things people want to see again and for things he can make at his home and film via one of the social media platforms. My point is that the full production team is probably not involved so it’s going to be patchy at best.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:32 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Well, I have just watched this. No, it is not 'just' a sandwich. I thought it was JM at his worst actually. The food wasn't wasted (hopefully) but ingredients just excessive.

In simple answer to your question, he said at the very beginning it was a cheese and ham but as you say, he didn't mention the cold ham again although seen to use it. It looked to me like the pretty standard cured ham you'd buy in a supermarket but may have been home cooked with all the fat removed leaving a round shape.

For anyone who didn't see it. He roasted tomato halves with thyme and fried a generous amount of pancetta in oil and butter.

On three slices of sourdough bread he squished the tomatoes so they spread like a paste and then piled the pancetta high on top. He then poured on maple syrup. To this he added a couple of slices of Gruyere and tore the round cold ham slices to fit on top of that and proceeded to pour the fat from the pancetta pan over it all.

Then, piling the slices of bread up and adding a last slice he created a giant layered sandwich. It was very thick. He dipped the whole lot in beaten egg and proceeded to fry it in a ton of butter until the cheese had melted. He served it with the remaining butter from the pan poured over the top until it looked quite unappetising.

It really was a bit much and done quite light heartedly. One wondered if he or his guests would actually eat it, it would certainly have been a waste if they didn't. I doubt you would notice if the ham element was smoked or not.

God that sounds revolting Earthmaiden, like something Ina Garden would make

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am

James, less is more.
The most disappointing thing I've tried a la James, was tea smoked (chicken) that he did all the time a few years ago. Like eating a fag.

I just caught the tail end of something he made outdoors. It looked beige and sloppy.
It's time he took a break from our screens.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:25 am

That sounds like a heart attack on a plate....!!!
You planning on making it Markie?

Postby Seatallan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:James, less is more.
The most disappointing thing I've tried a la James, was tea smoked (chicken) that he did all the time a few years ago. Like eating a fag.

:lol:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mark111757 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm

Lushy

As a matter of fact I do very much want to try this gastronomic master piece. When I get out of here, it is toward to top of my bucket list. The TV version and not the recipe from his web site. The web site says nothing about drizzling the fat from the pancetta. Or drizzling/basting the sammich with melted butter.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Ooooooommph…………..!

what's nearer the top of your bucket list - just asking :mrgreen:

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:40 pm

Is sammich an American word for sandwich? Each to their own but I don't see how cold ham and crispy pancetta would go well together. I'd use one or the other. I also do t see why you'd cook pancetta, which already has a lot of fat in both oil and butter . Think I'd rather save all those calories for something else

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Something that particularly bothered me was that the middle would not have cooked in the final frying. If you have ever made French toast or what I have had in the USA as a grilled cheese sandwich, (where a cheese sandwich is cooked in a pan), part of the attraction is the way the sandwich is transformed in the middle by such cooking.

A four-storey sandwich shallow fried in a pan wouldn't stand much chance of any transformation in the middle unless the outside was burnt. The bread and ingredients were all good quality but I wouldn't care for that contrast.

Postby mark111757 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Earthmaiden

A thought....as far as having the middle done, brown one side then turn it over and brown the other side. Then slip it into the oven for a few minutes. When I worked st the store and we sold fried chix, we deep fried it and finished it in the oven till it was cooked and came up to temp. I understand some steak houses Cook steaks that way.

Lushy

Yeah there is a list, prolly in storage right now. Tho I think one thing was the king of stylee's recipe for rabbit from his Italy series but using vino di musto and not his sub of balsamic vinegar. But vino di musto is like trying to find hens teetb here in the States. A picky thing I know but if I do a recipe, I prefer to follow it as it was presented. I wish more cooks and chefs would realize that. Also on the bucket list is something or things made with double cream. Prolly a desert tho savoury is OK too.

Amyw

You are right. A bit of slang for sandwich. Also "Sammie" can be used interchangeably

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm

I seem to recall a question about which ham before. I haven't eaten meats for years but I think the choice in hand-carved ham legs is either boiled, roast or smoked. If James used pancetta, which is quite a strong cure, he probably wouldn't have used smoked ham, but using smoked and omitting the pancetta would probably kill two birds with one stone.

TBH, I'd say to use any decent ham as opposed to the reformed water-injected stuff.

Re sammich, a ham one in our house is called a hamwich, as decided by a youngster who assumed it followed logically from hamburger. Mind you, the H can also mean too Hot, as in Hossage Hamwich :)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox