Register

Lockdown treats

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Lockdown treats

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:52 am

Has anyone treated themselves with something not normally eaten during lockdown?

I’m diabetic and fairly good at keeping to my diet but yesterday I was so fed up with only buying food that I could batch cook or freeze I rebelled and treated myself to a pack of 4 small strawberry trifles.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Site Admin

Re: Lockdown treats

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:53 am

I treated myself to far too many homemade hot cross buns over Easter! Beyond that, I'm afraid I've not been adventurous at all. The occasional pack of Bombay mix, does that count? :-(

Now I think of it, I did buy a post-easter Easter egg for a quid. Chocolate orange, far too sweet for my taste really but seemed like a good idea at the time.

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 am

We’ve placed a couple of orders with Betty’s for some treats. I’ve also been baking more than I normally do.

Other than that, we’ve opened some of the special beers we have in our stash. Most of them are barrel aged imperial stouts, some are a few years old and all have been delicious.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:30 am

When Lockdown was only something that was going to happen sometime soon and when I did my last 'proper' shop (- just after the hoards descended and stripped the shelves bare of toilet paper, rice, flour etc), I bought some Hoisin Duck Bao buns that can each be microwaved individually and a Greek spiral cheese and spinach wheel that was pretty much all I ate for 2 days . :roll: :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:30 am

Biscuits, especially Rich Tea and shortbread. Eaten sparingly of course. I think they replace going out for coffee and cake with friends and Rich Tea aren't bad with cheese sometimes as I've rarely got bread and would be too greedy if I bought crackers or Digestives :oops:.

For some reason, I've been craving fudge all week. I couldn't tell you when I last ate any. I'm not going to start making it or it could become a habit but I might buy a small amount next week.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:39 am

We're working our way thro' some very good Chateauneuf du Pape that's been in our stash in the cellar (garage) for a couple of years 8-)

It's good housekeeping after all...................

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:18 pm

I am also diabetic so not many treats for me. Although we did buy a pack of Sainsbury's 'posh' hot cross buns before the locusts swarmed. I saved them for Easter and they were really nice. i think they were reduced in price as well. I've also had an Easter egg and a Mars bar since then. the latter was during a somewhat stressful day in work, and it was the frist time I had eaten one for several years. They are usually a chocolate bar I steer well clear of, so I was definitely reaching desperation levels.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Biscuits, especially Rich Tea and shortbread. Eaten sparingly of course.

I'm afraid biscuits and sparingly don't enter my vocabulary in the same breath :lol:

Although I don't like things that are humungously, toothachingly sweet, I do have the sort of sweet tooth that makes it hard for me to stop once I start!

I agree, EM, shortbread and Rich Tea are high on my list! Especially the home-made shortbread I seem to have learned to make since the lockdown :lol: Needs must ...
And I daren't open a packet of McVitie's plain chocolate digestives. The large packets I used to get at Iceland were particularly tempting :lol:
We always keep our chocolate biscuits in the fridge which makes them especially yummy and dangerous :yum

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Got to admit I did get some Ginger Snaps a couple of weeks ago (and still got over half the packet left) to dunk in my tea.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:53 pm

I ordered an Easter chocolate selection from Hotel Chocolate after Easter, which arrived earlier this week, I think.

I also ordered some Carte D’Or mousse mixes. Not bad. I think these are usually sold to pubs and the like.

Just ordered some Cheesies. https://www.cheesies.co.uk/

There are treats in my forthcoming supermarket click and collect shop.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:23 pm

I was surprised my mum put 2 packs of Jammy Dodgers on the Waitrose shopping list I did for her. She brought us up minus biscuits!!

I've really overloaded on carbs. I was doing a version of the 5:2 before lockdown and had lost nearly a stone. Well that's all gone back on. But carbs mean comfort to me.

Postby Suffs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:25 pm

I persuaded OH to bring a pack of crumpets back from a shopping excursion
He also brought some plain chocolate home but not the rhubarb & custard boiled sweets I had an inexplicable hankering for ... he said the last thing we need at the moment is for me to get toothache :(

But I am lusting after fish
... proper fish not breaded fillets in plastic trays ... and shellfish!!!
What wouldnt I give gor a pot of steaming Brancaster mussels .... :cry:

Postby Busybee » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:45 pm

A friend of my sisters was going into York shopping and asked if I wanted anything............pickled onion monster munch and Smiths Scampi fries. And I don’t feel in the least bit embarrassed!

I’ve eaten more biscuits than I should have done.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Gin

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Gin
:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 pm

White chocolate magnums seem to be featuring rather more than usual , though of course ice cream eaten on a hot day doesn’t count calorie wise !!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Mini cheddars and hula hoops.
And gin.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Magnums

Stop it!
My favourites are the almond ones. No matter how many flavours they come up with, nothing compares.

My lockdown treat sounds silly.
I've discovered rich tea too, but the light biscuits. I really really like 'em.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:20 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:

I've discovered rich tea too, but the light biscuits. I really really like 'em.

I love them with brie or a creamy blue cheese, or even better, butter and cheese .... :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:36 pm

I have the light ones too. It must help!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox