Register

Lockdown treats

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Lockdown treats

Postby Linnet » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:10 pm

I'm working my way through all the miscellaneous bottles in the booze cupboard ie under the stairs. Might keep me going for a month or two... might.....

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
Magnums

Stop it!
My favourites are the almond ones. No matter how many flavours they come up with, nothing compares.

My lockdown treat sounds silly.
I've discovered rich tea too, but the light biscuits. I really really like 'em.

The almond ones are my favourite too
Iceland briefly did some own brand mini-Magnum type things in grown up flavours such as limoncello, one was just enough to make you feel you’d had dessert

I have acquired a proper treat - a bunch of English (St John, Norfolk) asparagus. Expensive, but looks gorgeous

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Agree the almond ones are pretty divine too . I agree the mini ones are the Perfect size to feel like you have a dessert without proper pigging out

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:25 am

Gin for me too - and although I normally I don't drink very frequently, I have also steadily been working my way through a number of rather good red wines that I've been keeping for special occasions.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:30 am

Aldi large bar of dark chocolate with hazelnuts. A bar used to last us a few weeks at least. Not anymore.

M&S giant salted roasted corn. The best best salted snack with a pre dinner drink in the garden.

Desert. It used to be once or twice a week max. Now it’s mandatory.

Cornettos cornettos cornettos. We really need to try to get hold of some of the minis.

I’m hoping as we rarely get a chance to sit still all day it’ll all even out :crossed

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:36 am

What's the giant salted roasted corn, OMCO? Is it corn tortillas? I rather like their salt and vinegar pop chips at the moment

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:39 am

Amy, they’re large individual corn kernels.

I bought a couple of large mixed snack bags from Belazu a couple of weeks ago. Two of them contain giant corn and I really like it. Will look out for the M&S stuff.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 am

marks_and_spencer_lightly_salted_giant_corn_140g-1566310783.jpg
marks_and_spencer_lightly_salted_giant_corn_140g-1566310783.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 5911 times

Its roasted sweetcorn, like the Spanish kikos snack. But these are giant. They do habanero ones as well as the salted. They are addictive!

I love their pop chips too. And the chocolate covered pretzels.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:07 am

Ah god I feel an M&S snack haul coming up . They also do really nice small bags of chocolate buttons with pistachios in

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Cornettos cornettos cornettos

Stop it!
You know I shouldn't.

Are these sweetcorn snax hard. Or gentle (on the teeth). I've got a cracked filling that has lasted 40yrs, but now needs replacing - excellent timing to go sensitive on me.
I'm eating on one side to be careful.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:57 pm

They are super crunchy I’m afraid Gill...think pork crackling level crunchy. Good job cornettos aren’t :D

Amy, I am loving the thought of chocolate buttons with pistachios!

My children are getting through an alarming quantity of soreen at the moment. They seem to want snacks very frequently. I’ve started freezing fruit smoothy lollies or just frozen banana and melon which they are loving on sunny days.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:12 pm

I am not sure if this is a treat - I suppose it sort of is because I normally only drink water - but sort of isn't because it's only mildly pleasant, not delicious - but I ordered some AF beer and cider. It's nice to have something different, and possibly something with a little sugar in it after labouring in the garden.

A lot of other things have become treats which normally aren't especially. e.g. a Waitrose trifle which is on order and which I hope I will get tomorrow. Ditto mozzarella.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:09 pm

I really wish I hadnt read this thread, now I fancy hula hoops, shortbread fingers, and pork scratchings, and my 5:2 has gone by the wayside too, though I would start again next week, but I'm not holding out much hope :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Whilst completing my shopping order I suddenly thought I would like a packet of ginger nuts. They are the sort of biscuit that I can just eat one of and so ideal for times like this. I chose McVities as I thought they would be the nearest to how I remembered them.

I am quite disappointed. They still taste the same but they seem much smaller and thinner and are almost flat on top. My aged teeth can bite into them with no difficulty and they don't need to be dunked to make them soft enough to manage. In fact, there is a danger they will collapse into the drink if you do :o.

When did that happen?

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Yes EM, they’re not as good as they were. Last year Sainsbury’s were giving everyone a small box of teabags and a packet of their own brand ginger biscuits and they were surprisingly good.

As an aside I’d like to know which of their teabag range they were handing out as I thought they were good as I like strong tea. No one in the shop knew because they came in a box which merely celebrated the 150 anniversary.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 pm

I rarely have ice-cream in the house (too tempting ;) ), but the local dairy who deliver my milk make their own. Recently they advertised a box of individual tubs and I couldn't resist. I only like vanilla and most days I enjoy one, just slightly melted and with a shot of a liqueur as I have plenty of choice in the drink cupboard .. :yum :wino

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:28 pm

northleedsbhoy wrote:Yes EM, they’re not as good as they were. Last year Sainsbury’s were giving everyone a small box of teabags and a packet of their own brand ginger biscuits and they were surprisingly good.

As an aside I’d like to know which of their teabag range they were handing out as I thought they were good as I like strong tea. No one in the shop knew because they came in a box which merely celebrated the 150 anniversary.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

One of my friends who swears by Sainsbugs teabags only ever gets the Red label. He lives in Germany and whenever he's over here buys the boxes of 240 to take back with him!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 15, 2020 5:57 pm

When we used to go to Sainsbury's we bought Red label but I wouldn't consider them very strong, maybe the anonymous ones were another sort.

Postby Grasshopper » Fri May 15, 2020 11:27 pm

Some of the home-baking we've been doing is still in the freezer.

Notice, I said SOME of it! :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum

Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Lokelani » Sat May 16, 2020 7:05 pm

At first with the difficulty in getting food I had visions of losing weight & cutting/rationing portion sizes! That didn't last long. I also gave up my 5:2 which had been doing so well for me, because it didn't seem like a good time to restrict food, in case it affected our immune systems.

Now treats have definitely crept in. Tarquins rhubarb & raspberry leftover from xmas has gone, as has Mr & my Xmas whisky. Wine seemed too extravagant at first as i didn't know how long we'd have to make it last, now it is being drunk.

I'm trying to reach more for nuts & olives than sweet things, but have succumbed to ice cream & made more desserts than I normally would in a year! Pork scratchings are becoming a bit of a craving.

It doesn't seem like the time to be depriving yourself. If you've already got it in, you might as well use it rather than let it go off..... :lol:

This week just gone I decided it's gone on for long enough, we had to try to at least do 1 day of lower calories & try to get back to 2. Not quite 5:2, but better than nothing. I don't want to undo all the good I've done.

Someone mentioned mozzarella, it's been a missing item (one of many!) from all my Ocado shops! Rarer than hen's teeth.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox