Register

Betty’s Bread Box

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Betty’s Bread Box

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm

I’ve just had an email about this. Might suit someone here.

https://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys-bread-b ... _bread_box

Re: Betty’s Bread Box

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:04 pm

5 x 400g loaves for £14 seems quite expensive, even delivered

400g is a small tin loaf

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm

If you can’t get decent bread, like my 92 year old mum in her tiny country village then I guess its a price you’d be prepared to pay. This will keep her going (after freezing) for a while.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:19 pm

I don't think any of these online offers for nice foods from places like this are cheap. They are rarely cheap in the first place and then there's transportation. It's the price you pay for the convenience and treat aspect and to keep the businesses going.

You'd need a lot of spare freezer space for all that bread but it looks lovely.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:27 pm

She is very organised and has been complaining that she can see the bottoms of both of her freezers. She’s not a big eater but bread is a must.

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:54 pm

I know, I was looking at a salad box from Darts Farm, our local farm shop which has received national awards . I think it was an iceberg lettuce, two peppers, a punnet of tomatoes and a cucumber for £12. I know they have to factor in delivery costs , but still very pricey.

I do feel for isolated, vulnerable people, who may be forced to pay well over the odds for schemes , such as the one mentioned. That's why I think there should be more done to prioritise those in need when it comes to shopping. I know a lot of people are given first pick at slots for online shopping, but a lot of the vulnerable don't have online access. If my Nan was still alive, we would have had to arrange shopping to get to her somehow . It would have been ok for us as we all live in the same town , but not so easy for others

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 pm

Not everyone seems to have overcharged - Neal's Yard were charging £25 for the 1 kg rescue box of British cheese, which is not that much more than deli prices, and included delivery and the special packaging cheese requires

Postby Busybee » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:49 pm

I pay £2.50 for a small loaf of white or brown bread from our local bakery stall on the market. Similar quality to Bettys, so only £1.50 extra for delivery doesn’t seem too bad.

Bettys is relatively local to us and I know of a few people who are using their delivery service for treats etc.

My issue is we haven’t got a very big freezer so I tend to prioritise meat over bread storage. If I had the space I would be tempted.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:05 pm

My mum is fairly internet savvy but refuses point blank to pay for anything online as she realises she may be a target for hackers. Therefore the only way we can get this sort of thing to her is as a gift. She is about 80 miles away from me and I took her a Waitrose shop on Tuesday. Was all very odd but I wouldn’t expect to do this more than once a month. Our Waitrose has no small loaves other than sliced sourdough. Her false teeth don’t like sourdough! :lol:

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm

We got the same email from Betty's and immediately thought it was expensive. We shan't be buying the bread (cakes a different matter :eating-birthday-cake )

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:10 pm

I ws looking up people who will deliver in SE26 again - very few will. But a Greenwich baker does. However they only sell in job lots that cost £18 upwards with far more stuff than anyone could eat without a large and realtively empty freezer. Bread takes up a lot of room. I'd love a packet pf croissants or pastries for a treat...

I uunderstand that it's not worth their while delivering unelss you buy quite a bit, but still disappointed!

My mother is not up to buying stuff online but even when parents/father were/was they refused to in case someone took more money than they should. Happy for this to potentially happen to me though :)

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Fifteen quid for five small loaves??? That's a LOT :shock:
Very, very expensive place when it comes to food!
Just look at their afternoon tea - and this is just the basic one
A small selection of sandwiches, a fruit scone, 3 little cakes & tea
£19.95!

And that's without any extras!

There's a place in Shipley where me & sis like to go, it has a 20's theme
Basic afternoon tea:
A teacup of home-made soup OR a bowl of crisps
A sandwich (from a selection), served in their own home-made teacake. Choice of brown or white bread
A beverage of your choice (I always go for tea - you get LOADS!)
2 sweet items from a selection, including a fruited or plain scone (and they are HUGE) with jam & cream or butter, flapjack, choc crispie, lemon & lime cheesecake, choc cake, etc.

The price? A mere £13.50! Not bad value for a VERY filling feast!

:yum
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:19 pm

Yeah Grassy but not open at the moment. That’s the point. Drastic times mean pushing the boat out for your loved ones if you have the funds.

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:58 pm

I know - I'm itching to start going out again!
:(
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox