Register

Sourdough ... your experience and tips please

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Sourdough ... your experience and tips please

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:16 am

Not registered organic but locally produced ... and not covered in that waxy stuff you sometimes get on them :D

We’re still in bed drinking coffee ... but looking forward to seeing ‘how it is’ ... I even dreamt about it ...

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:31 am

Hi ZeroCook. I'm pleased to see you've shown up.
Howz the bread making going?

The yeast water is definitely viable. And lively when it gets some flour into it. It's the quickest response I've had to a sourdough bake.
And looking at other pictures on the internet this am, all the bubbles seem the same - perhaps I should refer to it as "cuckoo spit".

Yes, I rinsed the apple.
And yes it is organic.

Next time, I think I'll try adding raisins for variety.
When we move, gawd knows when the wheels of that life project will start turning again, I will have a lot of room for these breadly things (2 sheds and a double garage).
I know you have lots of space your way - at last, I can foodie hoard like most people here :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:46 am

We’re still in bed drinking coffee

I'm on my 4th - but it's mostly decaf these days.

Top tip - don't forget that bakers' fold (I know you are excellent at breadmaking) teaching you to such eggs as it were, it gives good structure and lift in the final baking result.

Not quite as flat as this, but one third over one third.
Quarter turn, and one third over one third again.

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:02 am

Right, that’s having it’s first proof.

We had saved the ‘discard’ from last night and made little pancakes this morning which we had not breakfast with cinnamon apple compote. Delicious! In fact we got so carried away with the pancakes that we made some with the ‘discard’ from this morning’s preferment, not thinking that we should be freezing it for future loaves ... never mind ... it turned into delicious ‘almost crumpets’ and we can easily start again ... we have plenty of apples ... and potatoes :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:13 pm

In the oven

I realise now that I should have put it in one large tin or two small ones ... not two large ones ... but we live and Ed learn ... its smelling good ...

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 pm

IMG_1654.JPG

My Baker's Fold was probably a bit 'tight' ... and next time I'll just make the one loaf ... but I'm thrilled ... just letting them cool ... butter is on the knife ... thank you so much Gill :D

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm

They look lovely, shame we are on lockdown....... :yum :yum

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:17 pm

It is probably just as well Chinch :lol:
Very tasty :yum

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 pm

Hurrah!
That wasn't as difficult as it seems, was it. Perfectly do-able.
I'm so impressed at your baking, Suffness.

Noice = nice one!
You can now see if it's worth making a full-time leaven or not. Or sticking with fruit (potato or even cabbage) yeast water every now and again.

I'm sure I can make a full-time starter with one of the nuggets, if I add some yoghurt and raisins to the mix and feed over some days to get some proper cultivation.
What do you think, ZeroCook?

We've just had sandwiches for tea, manchego and ham. I couldn't stand supermarket bread any longer during lockdown - it's always given me problems since my 20's.

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 pm

It really was lovely elastic dough to work with Gill ... this is definitely the way forward

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm

Congrats suffs

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:02 pm

It was rather easy to work with, and yet very aerated.
I'm used to more difficult doughs to be honest.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:29 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Hurrah!
That wasn't as difficult as it seems, was it.  Perfectly do-able.
I'm so impressed at your baking, Suffness.

Me too - way to go Suffs!
Asked about apples as you were having low initial fizz and Gill's was raring away but you caught up!

I'm sure I can make a full-time starter with one of the nuggets, if I add some yoghurt and raisins to the mix and feed over some days to get some proper cultivation.

Now you're talking Gill.  Have you heard of South African Mosbolletjies? They're  raisin -starter aniseed flecked rolls made as  loaves. Eaten fresh and0 also traditionally made into rusks. So good.
Will dig out Grandma's recipe and post more later but really interesting and challenging to make.

Haven't been hugely bread prolific recently but I always have starter (yes, from yours after mine  demised in London and I carted some back thisaway).  I have been making a tweaked old Dan Lepard Zopako recipe from the Grauniad to which I add around 50 - 100g bubbling starter and depending on how sour I want it. I make rolls mainly, as there's just Mr Zero and me at the mo and I like to freeze bread for variety so that we're not eating the same bread for days on end. 

Recently I've tried crumpets from discard starter with mixed interesting results.  I made a giant sourdough hybrid pizza a couple of days ago and and froze some of that. 

This thread is good inspiration to roll up the breadmaking sleeves more.

We've just had sandwiches for tea, manchego and ham.   I couldn't stand supermarket bread any longer during lockdown - it's always given me problems since my 20's.

We got lazy and were getting an ok 100 % wholewheat supermarket bread as we're big sandwich fans too but it has not been readily available as in always sold out since covid19 <roll eyes> and my freezer supply ran out a couple of weeks ago so am making more bread. 

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:44 am

South African Mosbolletjies

No I haven't. But "challenging" is my middle name. :lol: I'd love to hear how to do them, particularly those rusks.

I made Dan's Zopako recipe once, but haven't repeated it. I liked it a lot I remember.

My old starter bit the dust, as I gave up bread for a couple of years.
But I'm keen to fire up that interest again.
I had thought about buying a San Fran. starter to see what that's all about. But I won't.

Postby liketocook » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Gorgeous looking loaves suffs

Postby scullion » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I had thought about buying a San Fran. starter to see what that's all about. But I won't.

there's no point really, is there? as after a short while the wild yeasts etc in the starter would be the ones in your area rather than the san fransico ones.

Postby dennispc » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Well done Suffs.

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:21 pm

As I’d got carried away with the pancake/crumpet making I’ve started a new batch of apple water today (the bread is disappearing fast) and we’ll have another batch of bread in a few days.
And then yes, investigating a longer term starter is the plan ...

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:46 pm

Scullion - fwiu sourdough yeasts aren't location specific - they're particular strains and combinations of lacto bacillus and yeasts found on grains /flour, fruit etc.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 pm

From what I understand, the San Francisco lactob. is to be desired taste-wise. I have a feeling also, when made from the dried packet, it is more stable.
And the taste effect in the bread is supposed to be fantastic.

Not sure I'm that sensitive to the tastes from different sourdoughs. Sure I am when it comes to the different flours used in the bread.
But I don't know about the levain.

Seemingly, making your starter with raisins is different to making your starter with an apple for example.
I doubt I could tell to be honest.

I did buy a packet once, but a friend of my sister was desperate for a starter, to it went to her.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox