Register

Noggins recipe?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Noggins recipe?

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 am

Does anyone have Ianinfrance's recipe for the above please?

Thank you.

Re: Noggins recipe?

Postby scullion » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:58 am

you could check out his site
this is his post from wf with the recipe.

ianinfrance wrote:Not me, but Jacquie made us some biscuits. Our old Good Housekeeping book called them "nignogs" which is not really the sort of name one would want to use nowadays! :shock: It's a shame as they are delightful. So I've decided to rename them Noggins!

Here's the recipe

Noggins

85 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
85 g castor sugar
85 g rolled oats
85 g butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon golden syrup

Grease 2 baking trays, preheat the oven (non fan setting) to 150°C

Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together and stir in the castor sugar and oats.

Heat the butter with the milk and syrup and when all his melted/dissolved but without boiling it, mix it thoroughly into the dry ingredients,

Roll into small balls (20 of them) and place about 10 cms apart on the baking trays. Flatten slightly, and bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes until nively golden brown.

Remove from the oven, and cool on the trays for about 2-3 minutes before removing and finishing the cooling on wire racks as usual. When cold, these are beautifully crisp.

Servings: 20 biscuits

this is a similar recipe that i make. taken from a woman's magazine in the early seventies - very more-ish, too.

Priory biscuits

3 ½ oz sr flour
3 oz rolled oats
6oz demerara sugar
6 oz margarine
¼ tsp bicarb soda
1 dsp water

Mix the flour, rolled oats and sugar together
Melt the margarine over a low heat and pour on to the dry ingredients and mix well
Dissolve the bicarb in the water then add to the mixture and mix thoroughly with a fork
When well blended, cover and leave in a cool place for 4-6 hours
Knead on a lightly floured board until soft and pliable
Divide mixture into golf ball sized pieces and place about 3” apart on a lightly greased baking sheet (don’t be tempted to flatten them as they spread out in cooking)
Bake in a moderate oven (350*F, 180*C, gas4) for 20-30 mins until cooked and golden brown
Allow to cool on baking sheets before removing then transfer to wire cooling tray
Last edited by scullion on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am

Here is his website recipe list, is it there?

https://www.souvigne.com/recipes/index.htm

Postby scullion » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:07 am

no, it wasn't - i think it wasn't originally one of his so he didn't put it in his recipe list ( i linked to that and then checked) - which is why i then searched his posts and copied from there.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Thank you Scully. I had a look on WF but couldn't find it (I'm useless at this new fangled IT stuff!).

Thank you also miss mouse.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:16 pm

I often think of Ian. I always cook carrots from his method described on the BBC board and my now grown up children still call them Ian’s carrots. Does anyone have any news of him please?

Postby Binky » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:07 pm

cherrytree, what was the Ian's Carrots recipe/method please?

We have stacks of carrots to get through and OH is fed up with carrot soup, steamed carrots, carrot cake.

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm

I was wondering about Ian. I only pop in occasionally to WF but noticed his absence a while back and thought it was unlikely unless he and Jacqui had decided it was time to look after themselves now, so hoping both are well of course.

Binky: A few carrots can be "lost" by making up a big batch of cooked trio mirepoix starter to freeze in quenelle scoops. Very handy I find for almost any soup.

A carrot grated into tom sauce or bolgnese definitely seems to add something... IMO.

Carrot mixed in with red pepper sauce.

Added to black beans and mushrooms etc as a pie filling.

Added to coleslaw or kohlrabi coleslaw.

I've tried roasted honey glazed carrots but they just taste awful to me - maybe there's a knack to them.

Grated and dressed with a pungent oily dressing for dry things like pasties or cloying things like cheese. Preferably with a tzatziki or raita side too.

Oops, sorry slimpersoninside.
Back to noggins...

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:03 pm

jeral wrote:I was wondering about Ian. I only pop in occasionally to WF but noticed his absence a while back and thought it was unlikely unless he and Jacqui had decided it was time to look after themselves now, so hoping both are well of course.

Binky: A few carrots can be "lost" by making up a big batch of cooked trio mirepoix starter to freeze in quenelle scoops. Very handy I find for almost any soup.

Oops, sorry slimpersoninside.
Back to noggins...

No need to apologise. Thanks to Scully I have the Noggins recipe.

Sorry can't help with Ian and Jacqui's well being.

Thank you about the mirepoix, I've been wondering about this for ages.

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 am

Binky wrote:We have stacks of carrots to get through and OH is fed up with carrot soup, steamed carrots, carrot cake.

the cranks cookbook has a recipe for 'crecy pie', a plate pie with a lid which is really nice but has no significant protein element.

Crecy plate pie (Cranks)

Onions 12 oz 350g
Carrots 12 oz 350g
Butter 2 oz 50g
Thyme 1 tsp
Flour 2 tbsp
Yeast extract 1 tsp
Salt & pepper
Pastry 15 oz 425G

Chop the onion & grate the carrot. Saute the onion until transparent. Add the carrots & thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in flour and yeast extract, adjust seasoning.
Make into a plate pie & bake for 30 minutes 200'c 400'f gas 6
(lifted from another board but the same as in the book)

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:51 am

i know this is not really a carrot thread, but... does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe, then? I have eggs that need eating up and loads of carrots of varying degrees of freshness. Carrot cake seems oike a good idea.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am

Hi Herbi , you might get more answers doing a separate thread maybe ? However I’d recommend this one from http://muffincakeypie.blogspot.com/2012 ... e.html?m=1

The lime mascarpone icing is gorgeous , along with the spicing and nuts

Postby halfateabag » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:27 am

I made noggins and some choc. chip cookies to tide us over on the 'sweet' front.... He seems to get cravings after I have gone to bed! If I want any, I have to keep some secret !!!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:28 am

Ok. Thanks! Always recluctant to start a thread in case it's no interesting enough. But will/may do. Or I could just trawl through my recipes books.

Lime and mascarpone does sound good.

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am

I really like the Hummingbird Bakery carrot cake. Haven’t made it for ages, think I’ll add cream cheese to my next Ocado order.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 am

herbidacious wrote:Ok. Thanks! Always recluctant to start a thread in case it's no interesting enough. But will/may do. Or I could just trawl through my recipes books.

Lime and mascarpone does sound good.

Never worry about starting a new thread at all . I think most of us are definitely interested in cake !!

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:10 pm

It’s probably wildly inaccurate but here is the carrots recipe that I got from Ian. I hope he doesn’t get too cross if he reads this! I cut carrots into batons. Sweat them for a short while in butter.
Cover with some chicken stock and a small amount of sugar. Cook until the liquid has almost evaporated and the carrots are glossy.

Postby aero280 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:49 pm

We met up with Ian at Christmas for a curry lunch. He and Jacquie are both fine.

I have his noggins recipe. I will have to go and find it.

Postby aero280 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:32 pm

I found the recipe that Ian sent me. And I can confirm it's the same as the one in scullion's post, the second one in this thread... :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:31 am

cherrytree wrote:It’s probably wildly inaccurate but here is the carrots recipe that I got from Ian. I hope he doesn’t get too cross if he reads this! I cut carrots into batons. Sweat them for a short while in butter.
Cover with some chicken stock and a small amount of sugar. Cook until the liquid has almost evaporated and the carrots are glossy.

I do them in a very similar way - I don't bother sweating them in butter first - just put them in the pan with stock, butter and sugar (I use soft brown or muscavado which caramelise). Chantenay carrots are nice done whole in this way.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox