Register

When was the last time your milk came in a glass bottle?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

When was the last time your milk came in a glass bottle?

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Just interested to see how many people still use the milkman, and how many milkmen now deliver in plastic bottles.

My answer is "Friday morning, from the milkman", as I still use a milkman, although at 80p a pint it's a luxury I may well soon dispense with, especially as I buy more milk than I can use, so there's usually a huge backlog in my fridge (currently 5 bottles).

I've always said I'd stop getting deliveries if they swapped to plastic bottles.

I'm surprised my milkman has not made more of this opportunity, if it had been me I'd have built on the "everything else" delivery. Not a peep from my milkman.

Re: When was the last time your milk came in a glass bottle?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:04 pm

c.2005 when we had a brief fling with old-fashioned door step delivery. We couldn't get through enough milk to make it work. (We were not cereal eaters and don't take milk in drinks.)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Very occasionally if I've bought a pint from a small shop or farm shop. The local farm dairy who deliver uses plastic.

I stopped having milk delivered when we moved here in 1986. There is nowhere safe to leave it, milk thefts were increasing and the milkman started coming later so it sat outside all day. I use so little milk it wouldn 't be worth considering now, a shame really but that's how it is.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:37 pm

We get through about a pint a week. I don’t touch it and Josh is a Vegan so has Oatly. Much though I love my husband I’m not paying a premium for so little.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Friday morning. 2 whole milk and two semi- skimmed. There will be 2 tomorrow and 2 more on Wednesday. My son and my daughter in town both get milk from the milkman but a different one from ours which comes from John Peel country in Caldbeck.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:22 pm

i buy the occasional litre of Cravendale, so not for a long time - that's got an extended life, but I do think it keeps better in a bottle with a screw cap when open, unless you can still get those little rubber hats my mum used to acquire from the Betterware brush man

Someone posted on Twitter that he bought a glass pint of milk, and his 18 year old daughter spent some time trying to twist the foil cap off, assuming it worked like those Japanese beers. She'd never opened one before

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:51 pm

If anyone can tell me where I can get one of those little plastic stoppers for the milk bottles, I’d be very grateful. I do miss the Betterware man calling at the door.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:03 pm

There is a selection on the Lakeland website, possibly not quite as we remember but not far off.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm

I had a quick root around in my gadget drawer and found that I have FIVE of those caps, and wondered why I'd need so many, but on closer inspection I realised that they've got days of the week engraved on them, so I've clearly lost a couple.

I was going to say that the make is "Cannie", but found this auction item - an unopened set of six, says they were made in 70s/80s, so I guess that's not much use! I'm sure I bought them more recently than the 80s though.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -269254581

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 pm

I think we stopped, more or less, when we moved here, and that was thirty years ago.
But I do remember having those little glass bottles at school.
Full fat, it was. Don't drink full fat nowadays.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Renee » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm

It must be about thirty years since I had milk from a glass bottle. Living on my own, I've been buying the 2l of Cravendale milk which has a good shelf life when I buy it and lasts for seven days after opening.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:25 am

I don't remember the last time I even saw milk in a glass bottle, let alone bought any!!
As for having milk delivered - no idea how long ago that would have been!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 am

I cannot remember either. The trend is to use milk bottles as flower vases in cafes and pubs. It works.
And Soho puts your milk for tea & coffee in darling little ones.

The "design" is lovely.

I use almond milk: Tony soya. So we never require fresh.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am

When I searched to find the caps for milk bottles most of what came up where milk bottle with metal covers, practical and stylish for cafes

But I couldn’t find covers like Sakkarin’s, or equivalents, I think I had that set too at one time, Cannie also made little covers for the opening on ring pull cans

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 pm

I have my milk delivered - from the dairy in the village. Unfortunately, Duncan's milk does come in plastic bottles, but I think this is the recyclable stuff. Others in my locality use 'Milk & More' which was (I believe), the old Express Diary and I think they use glass bottles. With only me at home, I adjust what I want delivered on a daily/weekly basis .. I just send Duncan a text the day before. I pay no more that from the supermarket and of course don't have to worry about just needing to 'pop out for some milk' He is cheaper than the corner shops anyway. ;)

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm

I wonder if anyone remembers the cardboard caps that pre dated the foil ones. They were discs of card board that somehoe fitted inside the neck of the bottle.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:41 pm

One of the farms in our village has a herd of Jersey cows (they run a wee ice-cream parlour in better times) and they deliver Jersey milk twice per week in glass bottles. Milk is sinfully wonderful.... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:53 pm

I can't remember anything before foil caps, but looking on ebay those cardboard disks seem to be collectable items. This pic suggests they had a crinkled (waxed?) cardboard collar...

https://i.etsystatic.com/5613901/r/il/e ... 4_ayjh.jpg

I do remember sweet little bottles our school milk came in, which the milkman also delivered orange juice in, which we got very, very occasionally as a special treat.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Now I see a picture, I’ve seen the cardboard ones

We had foil, but I think my Staffordshire grandparents may have had card.

I remember cream coming in waxed card tubs with a cardboard lid with a little tab to remove it

I remember the 1/3 of a pint bottles of milk and juice

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Ah - the 1/3 pint bottles - takes me back to the only time in my life when I was important. At primary school - I was milk monitor. It's all been downhill since then.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox