Register

British Cheese Crisis

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: British Cheese Crisis

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 am

Storage is a major problem. Look at the American oil crisis, -37 a barrel overnight, their ships are full, their storage facilities are full. Effectively you are being paid to take the oil.

Blackbomber Welsh cheese is now being sold on Ocado, apparently. It would be rather lovely if the supermarkets could indeed take these artisan suppliers on.
But to be honest, I haven't got a complaint for the supermarkets as far as the crisis is concerned.
They are doing fabulously.
I cannot really see another solution, save putting the cheese in a van and getting online (perhaps) & local orders to the people. Like the old days - fish van style.

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Apparently the price crash in Texas oil is day-only to clear out as the new month supply and bidding starts today with a price back to the typical regular price.

For me, buying odd items online is scuppered by the P&P which often doubles an often already dear price. Your idea of vans pottering around hawking things makes a lot of sense, although for cheese they'd presumably need refrigerated ones. Maybe bikes with baskets and cool boxes will come back - after all, the riders can be younger too as no driving licence is required and dangerous traffic is at an all time low.

Re excess milk, will the upcoming ice cream season help?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:28 pm

Again, I’m lucky to live in a slightly crowded corn er of LONDON

It’s likely the the local wholefood deli just up the road will have some small producer English cheese when I go there in a couple of days, I hope they have either Parmesan or the UK cheese Twynham as nothing suitable in the supermarket

It’s not clear if La Fromagerie’s Highbury shop is open or not, but it would be a good exercise walk to find out

Postby herbidacious » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:54 pm

The Fromagerie sent me an email saying they were doing home deliveries. But that doesn't imply anything re whether the shops are open or not.

My cheese delivery today came from

https://www.thecheeseshed.com/

Postby smitch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm

The Cheese Shed did our wedding cheese. Our evening food was a cheese wedding cake with salad and crackers. I still order from them on occasion, particularly at Christmas.

lfoxr deactivated

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:02 pm

cheese weeding cake?

Postby Gruney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:05 pm

lfoxr wrote:cheese weeding cake?

I should tare up your joke book.

Postby cherrytree » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:22 pm

I imagine that if you are not British, then a cheese wedding cake must sound very strange indeed. What you need to do Ifoxr , is to Google cheese wedding cakes and see what is involved. The UK ,like most European countries has some gorgeous cheeses and as a 3 tiered wedding fruit cake is not as popular as it used to be , this alternative is a delicious choice.
It might seem strange to you, but I expect you sometimes write on here about dishes that seem perfectly normal to you, but are quite alien to acUK audience.

Postby smitch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:00 pm

This is the cheese we had. I think there may have been a smaller cheese on the top but the ice cream stand woman set it up for us a favour and I didn’t notice until later it wasn’t there!
0B83CA9E-9D1A-4C86-A2DD-608575584565.jpeg
0B83CA9E-9D1A-4C86-A2DD-608575584565.jpeg (219.03 KiB) Viewed 5066 times

Postby cherrytree » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:07 pm

It looks delicious. What cheeses were they?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:10 pm

herbidacious wrote:The Fromagerie sent me an email saying they were doing home deliveries. But that doesn't imply anything re whether the shops are open or not.

i looked on the website, no clue at all as to whether the (original) Highbury shop is open
Info about deliveries has been added but the usual page about opening hours, including the cafe (more of a tiny snack bar really) is still up unchanged; obviously the cafe is not open
I would think they might have specified if the delivery was in lieu of opening?

Google thinks cheese wedding cakes are big in the US

Postby cherrytree » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Ah well . I though Ifoxr must be from there. I was trying to be helpful.

Postby smitch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:23 pm

We had Dorset blue vinny, Cornish Yarg, Cornish crumbly and the bottom was half chilli cheddar and half cider and herb cheddar. I just had a look at the order confirmation and we also had a Cornish Brie.

I tried a shop in West Yorkshire near our wedding venue but they were really unhelpful. The Cheese Shed is based in Devon so focus on West Country cheeses. I’d have liked some local cheese but the ones we had were British and made by small producers.

I also had a ‘proper’ wedding cake that I made with my mum. The bottom tier was fruit, the middle was lemon and the top chocolate. I love fruit cake but not many people seem to like it.

lfoxr deactivated

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:31 pm

weirdest wedding cake that i have seen irl smith
was baltimore rainbow cake.

I also seen smith island wedding cake.

here we prefer our wedding cakes to be less moldy. lol

Postby smitch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Good job you weren’t invited then lol

Postby herbidacious » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:15 pm

I'd have rather have had a load of cheese at my wedding than cake in some ways. I never actually had any of my wedding cake, but my nother said it was dry :?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:48 am

Jeral:
Apparently the price crash in Texas oil is day-only to clear out as the new month supply and bidding starts today with a price back to the typical regular price.

Not true. the oil market is no more - at least temporarily.
A cheese wedding cake is my idea of heaven; but I have to admit i´ve never even seen one before today.
I imagine a round of Comté..a round of Double Gloucester... a round of Apfenzeller, a Petit Reblochon, a layer of Stilton, all topped with a few lumps of Stinking Bishop.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 am

Did you Google Cheese Wedding Cakes, Ifoxr? I said that it might help. Sometimes you mention food and dishes that are quite alien to a British food board and that require further explanation. If in this instance you found out more about British cheese or indeed asked on here, it might help us all.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:22 am

I am always astounded by the amount of cheese required for a cheese wedding cake. I suppose if there are a lot if guests much if it gets polished off but otherwise it must last for years - or perhaps guests get goody bags!

The modern idea of sponge cakes or cheese is lovely but the whole point if the fruit ones was the keeping qualities to send off in little boxes to people after the wedding and to keep the top tier. I suppose you can still post cheese!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:40 am

I was never quite sure of the message in those little boxes of wedding cake - it always felt like it might be

Here’s a bit of dry cake with rock hard icing to remind you we don’t like you enough to invite you to the reception
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox