Register

British Cheese Crisis

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: British Cheese Crisis

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed May 06, 2020 3:00 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The British Cheese Weekender, the UK’s biggest cheese festival, was due to happen this weekend in the real world and has been moved online, there are some potentially interesting sessions including virtual tours and demos such as halloumi making

https://blog.academyofcheese.org/britis ... -weekender

Cheers Sue. I shall try and remember to have a look in over the weekend :thumbsup .

Postby spangle » Sat May 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Today's sessions of the British Cheese Weekender are starting shortly, at 3.00. The line-up is here:

https://blog.academyofcheese.org/britis ... t-a-glance

You can click on the name around the start time and it should go to the right page. They're using a mixture of platforms - some are on YouTube, some on Instagram Live etc depending on what the individual producer/speaker has chosen. I watched a couple of YouTube ones yesterday and enjoyed them but sadly don't get on with Instagram so missed lots. But it does say that they plan to have the recordings available on the festival's website so hopefully will get a chance to see them.

There's also this page:

https://blog.academyofcheese.org/britis ... kender#Buy

which has links to two lists of British cheese producers and stockists that are doing delivery or mail order or are open. Might be of interest to folks craving treat-cheese.

Postby Lokelani » Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Prince Charles is doing his bit, sharing his favourite cheesy brunch dish. I saw this on Sky News yesterday & it actually inspired a delicious lunch today!

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-charl ... e-11986527

I only had 2 eggs & 2 slices of bread between us so it gave me the excuse I'd been looking for to try this recipe to stretch them into lunch. :lol:
I microwaved & drained some frozen spinach, put it in 2 individual oven dishes. Popped some cherry toms on husband's one, a couple of balsamic onions chopped up on mine as I don't like tomatoes. Pickled onions inspired by a similar cheese bake from James Martin's Islands to Highlands. Cracked an egg in the middle of each, a dollop of creme fraiche as I didn't have the double cream the recipe called for. Covered with lots of thin slices of very nice gruyere, baked for a bit, then grilled the top. Toasted the bread. Rather rich & decadent for lunch, definitely a treat calorie wise rather than a regular, but absolutely delicious!

Cheese is the one thing I would never want to be without. I'd choose it over chocolate or anything sweet, any day.

Postby janetmw » Wed May 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Yesterday my local cheesemaker, Stichelton Dairy, posted this on Twitter:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Today, we filled our vat for the first time since 18th March
We wouldn’t be here without YOU, the #cheesefamily ! ...
In short, it’s hard to convey how grateful we are. We desperately didn’t want Stichelton and it’s British farmhouse brothers & sisters to disappear, and as it turns out, neither did THOUSANDS of you people. ...
Here’s to you all.

------------------------------------------------------------

Janet
Janet

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Aw, that’s great!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox