Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Morrisons have recently announced that they are trialling the removal of plastic "bags for life" so they will be completely plastic free. They say that the paper bags they will be using are as strong as a plastic bag - IIRC, they will take 15kg weight.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 pm

At around the time DS was born (1976), Sainsburys offered good, strong reusable paper carrier bags, stronger than American ones which are designed to be carried to a car. Two would hold our whole weekly shop at that time (meat & fruit & veg etc were still bought elsewhere) and withstand being carried home several times. Sometimes they were very heavy too. It can't be that hard to make them again.

My mother had a lovely basket on wheels when I was small. I've got one with a bag which I use occasionally (the frame part makes a great trolley for carrying things like compost in from the car too). So silly that people laugh at them, they are so sensible (same with plastic rain hats!).

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:02 pm

People really don't laugh at shopping trolleys round here - less than a third of households have a vehicle, and there are supermarkets within walking distance of most homes, so the trolley reigns

I do need a new one, mine is on it's last legs

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
herbidacious wrote:
Apparently the new trend is for old style wicker baskets on wheels instead of the bags. Very few seem to have lids :? and all are expensive

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=wicker ... %20trolley

I really coveted one of those when I was a student and had to get shopping home from a supermarket that was 1 mile away and not on a bus route. I couldn't afford one though.

I was impressed by the three wheelers (as in having clusters of three wheels rather than just three wheels in total) last time I was in Venice. (Quite a long time ago now...) Essential for navigating all those steps on bridges.

I contemplated getting a trolley when OH was in Germany...

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Talk of Venice and wicker baskets brings to mind these https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pd ... 84209.html that were very popular when I was a teenager.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:59 pm

I had a toy one which I loved. My mother thought they were stupid because they hardly held any shopping. They were so trendy!

It's funny to think that shopping baskets/bags were once fashion items, maybe it will happen again now that we're not using so much plastic ( or perhaps they are and I haven't noticed). When I first met ex OH I had a lovely trendy pale woven shopping basket whose handles were falling apart but which I loved. He thought it was tatty and for my 19th birthday bought me a tartan canvas bag of the sort his mother might have had as it was a 'proper' shopping bag :evil:.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 pm

My mother had a gondola basket - I got to carry it most of the time as the thing it was best at was laddering her nylons, and I didn't wear them of course

I do have a wicker basket bought from a local greengrocer years ago, it's very useful as it has flat base so good for carrying things like pies and cakes or potted pants without tipping them

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Would be good for harvesting things in...

Actually I might have one somewhere. I was given a basket of things as a wedding present. But where is it...?

Postby Busybee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:27 pm

I had a gondola toy basket as a child.

I have a whicker basket but it is used as a dogs toy box! Maybe I should commandeer it and use it for its actual purpose? There always seems to be a stall selling all kinds of whicker baskets at agricultural shows, we have a whicker log basket. MIL had a garden trug, I wonder where that ended up?

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:11 pm

Suffs would probably know but there used to be a famous shop in Norwich next door to The Mustard Shop which only sold whicker and cane. I got rid of an armchair from there I’d had for forty years only a while back.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:03 pm

What would put me off carrying such a basket to the shops is the added weight. But useful for stopping delicate and fragile things from being crushed, potentially.

I can't find my basket anywhere. Maybe it's in the attic.

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Oh Earthmaiden you did make me laugh about the tartan canvas shopping bag just like his mother would use. I can see why he is an ex!!!

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:22 am

Yep :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:20 am

[code][/code]
herbidacious wrote:
II was impressed by the three wheelers (as in having clusters of three wheels rather than just three wheels in total) last time I was in Venice. (Quite a long time ago now...) Essential for navigating all those steps on bridges.

like this ? :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3 ... VXHTWW7PEJ

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 am

Amazon is wonderful Pat! I can always find what I want there which saves hours trailing around the shops which I used to do many years ago.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:05 am

Hmm think that's just what I need, I like the idea of a rustic wicker basket, but it's rather nice to have pockets for my veg bags etc, Also something a bit more weather proof and lighter in weight

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:15 pm

I have a lightweight foldable "old lady" trolley @ 1.78kg. Only two wheels although I find it easy enough to pull up stairs, it's trickier lifting it down stairs with heavy contents.

A gadget I fancy are these simple flat lifting & flipping tongs, not so much the strangely huge £16.95 price tag. Anyone know if sensibly priced ones are around please?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FDVEFC/ ... _lig_dp_it
Ta.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:50 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:[code][/code]
herbidacious wrote:
II was impressed by the three wheelers (as in having clusters of three wheels rather than just three wheels in total) last time I was in Venice. (Quite a long time ago now...) Essential for navigating all those steps on bridges.

like this ? :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3 ... VXHTWW7PEJ

Yes!

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:23 pm

jeral wrote:I have a lightweight foldable "old lady" trolley @ 1.78kg. Only two wheels although I find it easy enough to pull up stairs, it's trickier lifting it down stairs with heavy contents.

A gadget I fancy are these simple flat lifting & flipping tongs, not so much the strangely huge £16.95 price tag. Anyone know if sensibly priced ones are around please?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FDVEFC/ ... _lig_dp_it
Ta.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox