Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:19 am

Anyone got the Aligator Onion Chopper & Dicer in their cupboard?

Looks promising?

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Binky » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:52 am

What is suspicious (to me at least) is that the person demonstrating is employing no effort at all, like he's squeezing a scoop of ice cream or something.

I have enough trouble with a garlic press, so the alligator will be no good for me (squeeze a potato into chip shapes with your bare hands? Dearie me, no).

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:34 am

I agree Binky. However sharp it is, you would need to exert a certain amount of pressure to get through a hard vegetable or fruit.

That said, it looks wonderful in the ad if you think you can manage to do it. It would be lovely to be able to try out some of these gadgets wouldn't it! I've got a problem with my thumb at the moment which makes things like chopping very difficult, if the gadget peeled things as well I'd give it a go!

Postby miss mouse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:49 am

Here is another video, it is given a big thump. No peeling options though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuXeG-zIZS0

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 am

He's good at it, isn't he.

I'm rather encouraged that it's Swedish, although I was worried about how robust it was, yes.
I've got a Swedish Stirio, that never fails. It continually stirs a pot for 4hrs when fully charged.

I'm still keen ..........

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:34 am

It looks like a laid down version of one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-P ... 175&sr=8-5

I use one of these at work sometimes, if we need sticks of veg all the same size. It's so much better than me trying to cut loads of spud sticks all 5 or 10mm! It does need a good hard push for things like spuds and beetroot.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:41 am

Reminds me of the old Ideal Home Exhibition (probably a quarter of a century ago I last went!) when there were countless stalls with people demonstrating kitchen gadgets and miracle cleaners, which you always knew would never live up to their promise when you got them home.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:55 am

I saw that on a shopping channel some time ago and wondered about it, but what I really need is something that slices

Postby Binky » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Like the original Vitamix (supposedly whirred so fast it heated up and made soup, but I couldn't do that) and that gadget that made cream out of chilled skimmed milk. Another dud.

Postby mistakened » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Reminds me of the old Ideal Home Exhibition (probably a quarter of a century ago I last went!) when there were countless stalls with people demonstrating kitchen gadgets and miracle cleaners, which you always knew would never live up to their promise when you got them home.
I loved the gadget stalls, far more interesting than the "model homes"

Postby miss mouse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I saw that on a shopping channel some time ago and wondered about it, but what I really need is something that slices

Would a mandolin work for slicing for you? This one is good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swissmar-Borne ... B0000632QE

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:16 pm

I really need something with a good safety carriage that holds the food, I’m doubtful about a mandolin with poor eyesight - they don’t call the Benriner the Japanese finger slicer for nothing!

I end up setting up the Magimix for ridiculously small amounts, and it’s not that good at slicing larger items or thicker slices I guess I’ll keep going until the processor dies then slicing will be the main criterion for the new one, possibly Sage

Postby miss mouse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:24 pm

The finger guard works well when used. I agree washing a processor after slicing one item is a pain.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:29 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:It looks like a laid down version of one of these

we had one like that when i was a child - it was given to me to use - never easy. to push the lever i had to use both hands - so the body of it moved around. if i used one hand to hold the body down i couldn't push down on the lever. you did need to have a decent (adult) weight to use it!

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm

We had one when I was young too. My dad fastened it to a piece of board which mum then clamped to the table to make it easier to use.
I'm interested in the Alligator as I have arthritis in my wrists, hands and fingers which makes it really painful to peel things, let alone chop them. I have a mandolin (and a pair of "anti-cut" gloves) but I find that painful to use too. I think I'd find it easier to push down as long as I didn't have to grip anything.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:19 pm

scullion wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:It looks like a laid down version of one of these

we had one like that when i was a child - it was given to me to use - never easy. to push the lever i had to use both hands - so the body of it moved around. if i used one hand to hold the body down i couldn't push down on the lever. you did need to have a decent (adult) weight to use it!

The previous version we had was more like this one,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinsani-Kitche ... 77&sr=8-20

where the handle at the spud end was flat and pushing down on the other end pushed the spud through the cutters, this was hard work and needed thumping (it got broken due to heavy handedness).

The one in the original link has a sliding mechanism which operates a 'plate' within the body of the gadget, it's much easier to use.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm interested in the Alligator

I've ordered one, so I shall let you know.

Mum had a metal chipper, it lasted years, with a lot of use (5 kids).

Postby Lokelani » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Binky wrote:Like the original Vitamix (supposedly whirred so fast it heated up and made soup, but I couldn't do that) and that gadget that made cream out of chilled skimmed milk. Another dud.

I think the cream from chilled skimmed milk one was probably a Bamix? I tried one for a while & wasn't very impressed. I preferred my Kenwood KMix stick blender for soup, its balloon attachment for proper mayonnaise (which can be made with egg yolks, unlike the Bamix that needs the white too) & its amazing potato mashing tool.

What I did love was the small grinder pot that came with the Bamix & the larger plastic pot bought as an extra. It was like a mini food processor with small slicing & grating tools & a metal blade that made the most amazing small quantity of pastry. The problem with it was that the Bamix itself was underpowered for driving it. Also it was impossible to wash up properly as the lid couldn't be immersed.

Most people really love their Bamix. If I could have a really powerful one as well as my other tools I would. I just didn't think it did as many things well as they claim.

I do love a new gadget though. I am getting better at resisting.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:16 pm

Lokelani wrote:I think the cream from chilled skimmed milk one was probably a Bamix? I tried one for a while & wasn't very impressed. I preferred my Kenwood KMix stick blender for soup, its balloon attachment for proper mayonnaise (which can be made with egg yolks, unlike the Bamix that needs the white too) & its amazing potato mashing tool.

What I did love was the small grinder pot that came with the Bamix & the larger plastic pot bought as an extra. It was like a mini food processor with small slicing & grating tools & a metal blade that made the most amazing small quantity of pastry. The problem with it was that the Bamix itself was underpowered for driving it. Also it was impossible to wash up properly as the lid couldn't be immersed.

Most people really love their Bamix. If I could have a really powerful one as well as my other tools I would. I just didn't think it did as many things well as they claim.

I have that Bamix ;) It stands on the counter top and there's not a week goes by that I don't use it. I often use the attachment that whips up skimmed milk into froth for a special coffee for my daughter (I only drink black coffee) and the processor is just large enough to mix up the ingredients for a standard portion of pastry (or cake). It blitzes all my soup mixes to a smooth consistency just how I like it as well as whizzing up a cheese, nuts or sugar when needed. I have never found it under powered :o :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:56 pm

I like my Bamix but I don’t love it, as I thought I would

I only have the three blades and not the chopper/slicer and I find them really hard to change over, it needs some kind of a tool to grip the blade you are removing.

The lack of a good instruction manual is really annoying and the recipe book is a joke, they seem to be a very odd company that don’t believe in communication - the “how to” videos on their website aren’t “how to” at all, just ads

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox