Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Very good article, and I generally agree with him (I like Adam Liaw) but I disagree with him on the garlic crusher, I like mine which pretty much purées raw garlic (stainless steel, goes in the dishwasher) and surely the other ingredient gadget that woks is the cherry/olive stoner? Perhaps also the apple corer

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:53 pm

hmm - i don't have a stand mixer but do have a hand held - the bits take up less room in a dishwasher and counter/cupboard space.
i use the food processor a lot - rarely the blender attachment, i use the stick blender far more often - again less waste of the ingredients being blended and easier on dishwasher space (- and for making soap - and yesterday for some face cream). i regularly use the garlic press and apple corer.
i find the need for a rice cooker puzzling - you would have to eat a lot of rice for it to be worthwhile - unless you could use it for something else.
i think the writer may have a different lifestyle to us!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Adam is Malaysian Australian, so would need a rice cooker for family meals I suspect

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm

scullion wrote:i have just made some of the sev from the you tube link you gave. i used our potato ricer - they were really good.

In the end, I found my potato ricer makes better sev than the pukka sev-maker, Scullion! The holes are more cleanly machined, and happen to be exactly the right diameter for my favourite sev. The sev maker has a nozzle with identically sized holes to the ricer, so it was a great side-by-side test.

Here's my eventual plate of Bushey Mix (sev made with sev-maker), the other bits are peanuts (fried from raw), crispy fried onion, homemade crisps (I braved my Benriner mandolin) and deep fried crispy pawa rice flakes, the closest I could get to homemade puffed rice, which from what I gleaned from YouTube involves a complicated process involving hot sand.

My "dressing" hit the spot too, with a touch of chat masala.

EDIT: A pedant would say "What's the point when you can get it readymade for 75p a bag from Tesco".

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:18 pm

That Bushey mix looks great Sakkarin

But I might continue to buy my snacks from Cofresh

Postby Suffs » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Suffs would probably know but there used to be a famous shop in Norwich next door to The Mustard Shop which only sold whicker and cane. I got rid of an armchair from there I’d had for forty years only a while back.

Sorry ... I missed this Pepper ... you're referring to Hovells https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19345408 :( I still use a wicker shopping basket which came from there as a laundry basket to carry the washing to the washing machine and then out to hang on the line.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:56 pm

scullion wrote:I have just made some of the sev

I'm just making some Dosa batter, and the "roasted rice flour" I'm using* had a list of dishes it can be used for, which I Googled as I didn't recognse any. One was called "Murukka", which turns out to be almost Sev, but made with the mix of rice and urad dall flour that the Dosas are made of (athough there appears to be a besan murukku too).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murukku

* I'm making 2 batches, one using flours and one from scratch using soaked lentils and rice hand-ground.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm

I really want to make some sev. I have been eating very expensive Bombay Mix from Sainsbury's. The best bit is the sev.

I need to make some chat masala too for an Ottolenghi recipe. Any recommendations?

I have put my marvelous passata maker to bed for another year now. Both sad and relieved! (I did not enjoy cleaning it and it does need cleaning very very thoroughly after each use.)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:07 pm

The current Chat Masala I used is a readymade mix from Morrisons , however I also have the black salt that seems to be the common denominator between the mixes if I recall correctly (they vary in ingredients, I also have some I got from Tesco).

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /256577268
https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -448168011

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Thank you!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:58 am

I shall look out for that brand then, Shan. My nearest big supermarket is Tescos now.

On the gadget front. Lighting in the kitchen - I tend to use the overhead extractor light.
But the jet engine noise drives me potty.

Have just bought 2 x under unit LED lights, that are motion sensitive. And love them.
They stay on if you are chopping because of the fast action motion - yeah right! And time out in 20secs when you walk away.
They come on first thing as you walk into the darkened room to prepare your coffee.

Magnetic strips for under the units keep them in position. I think I'll need to recharge them with my portable power cell every 2 weeks, which is a ritual fine by me for 2 lights, although I wouldn't want a whole series of them to do. You can get plug in ones, but that would use up a kitchen socket.

£19.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks for that link Gill. I really fancy those lights.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:41 am

I have two lights that I have stuck under the bottom shelf of the shelves that replaced the unit that fell of the wall.

One is a motion detector one and the other is one you tap to turn on. They do seem to need very frequent charging. Every few days. Not as good as the ones I had under the unit (wired in) but emphatically better than nothing.

I'd like one to put above the bathroom mirror. I wonder if that would work when the top of the mirror is much higher than my head.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:13 pm

Ooh Gill - those are what I need for my wardrobe I think

I got some without sensors but in order to use the light, they had to be positioned where I couldn’t easily reach the switches

Didn’t think that one through :oops:

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Another one adding them to my list.

Cheers Gill.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:59 pm

The only downside I can think of is that you need to recharge them.
But I have a handy portable power cell - for recharging my bicycle lights.

You can flick the switch on and off if you prefer. But I like the motion sensor setting. They should be excellent in a cupboard.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Anyone used these stretch silicone bowl covers? I'm aware that the cling film I use is ecologically disgusting, and I've just ordered a set of these, but given that they're not going to last forever, I wonder if it's actually any less environmentally friendly?

Having said that, I've just looked back at my shopping database and I see that my current packs of clingfilm and foil have lasted since January, despite loads (probably not quite hundreds but more than dozens) of bread bakes where I cover the bowl with clingfilm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/133286463783

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
Have just bought 2 x under unit LED lights, that are motion sensitive. And love them.
They stay on if you are chopping because of the fast action motion - yeah right! And time out in 20secs when you walk away.
They come on first thing as you walk into the darkened room to prepare your coffee.

Magnetic strips for under the units keep them in position. I think I'll need to recharge them with my portable power cell every 2 weeks, which is a ritual fine by me for 2 lights, although I wouldn't want a whole series of them to do. You can get plug in ones, but that would use up a kitchen socket.

£19.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought a couple of sets of those lights to put in my tv stand so I can display some Swarovski crystal in it. They are very sturdy but unfortunately, the remote control is very flimsy - not sure how long it will last. I want to be able to turn them on and off at will, rather than set them to be motion sensitive. They can be removed from the magnetic strip for recharging so I've bought a multi-port usb charger so I can charge 4 at once.
These are the ones that I got - there's 3 in the pack. They have 3 settings for the number of lights that you want on and can be set to motion sensitive, permanently on or controlled by the remote control. They were cheaper when I got them though - £22.99.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-Remov ... TBMWTQ7MH9
Last edited by Pampy on Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:48 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Anyone used these stretch silicone bowl covers? I'm aware that the cling film I use is ecologically disgusting, and I've just ordered a set of these, but given that they're not going to last forever, I wonder if it's actually any less environmentally friendly?

Having said that, I've just looked back at my shopping database and I see that my current packs of clingfilm and foil have lasted since January, despite loads (probably not quite hundreds but more than dozens) of bread bakes where I cover the bowl with clingfilm.

Yes - I've got a set of those. You have to be careful putting them on so that whatever you're covering doesn't shoot away from you but once you've got the knack, they're fine to use. They're quite sturdy so I think should last quite a long time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:32 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Anyone used these stretch silicone bowl covers? I'm aware that the cling film I use is ecologically disgusting, and I've just ordered a set of these, but given that they're not going to last forever, I wonder if it's actually any less environmentally friendly?

I got the Lakeland version
I found them quite hard to fit, though I'm slowly getting the knack, and I suspect you hands are a bit stronger than mine (not being sexist, my right hand has been damaged)

You get quite a lot of littl'uns but those are good for covering things like cream and yogurt pots now they come with only foil lids

None of mine are big enough to cover a bread bowl, I'm surprised that nobody seems to make a jumbo or XL set for such things (also good for buffets etc, so not as niche as it sounds), but I think you'll probably get £2.99 worth of use out of them and save some cling film

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox