Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks - hadn’t seen those, but unfortunately what I’d want are half a dozen all the same to fit my individual lasagne dishes, which I use a lot for baking single portions of things

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:44 pm

This is something I didn't expect to see:
https://www.amazon.com/Musubi-gabo-Cert ... id=3737191

It's a press for rice enveloping a fat slice of Spam, sushi style. I know that's true because the second photo is a picture of it. Who'da thunk it?

Edit PS: I've just seen an egg pricker (? me neither). Seemingly it's for pricking the shell of eggs to prevent them cracking before placing in cold water to boil for hard boiled eggs.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 pm

I remember egg prickers (piercers), I think they were one of those little things the Betterware brush man used to hand out, perhaps late 60s and through the 70s.

Did people eat a lot more soft boiled eggs then? I remember everyone had egg cups

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Goodness, never seen or heard of one of those Jeral!

And as for an egg pricker, I've used one for at least 35 or 40 years :lol: I think I probably got mine at John Lewis as I never did Betterware, Sue.
I use an egg slicer, too, and followed the recent discussion on here about boiling eggs quite closely as I've never really developed the "perfect" method :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm

I believe that Spam sushi is very popular in some circles. Not in this house though.

We used to have an egg pricker. Ex OH owned it already when I moved in (now you mention it, I think when he was setting up home with his first wife they must have bought every unnecessary gadget the Betterware catalogue offered, there was also an egg slicer and a tea dispenser on the wall to name but a few). My father believed that eggs should be pricked before boiling too but didn't have the gadget, just a pin. I must admit his boiled eggs were always perfect.

Don't people have egg cups now? :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:14 pm

I never did Betterware myself but the rep local to my parents was an acquaintance of my mother’s, so we got the full range. I still find odd little things like shoe horns in the back of drawers, and I have 2 folding clothes brushes for the well turned out traveller

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 pm

I had an egg pricker to go with my chicken shaped egg boiler. Which was an excellent gadget (soft, medium, hard).
Perfect every time = German.

If you didn't prick them, they'd explode.

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:37 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:...[clip]... they must have bought every unnecessary gadget the Betterware catalogue offered, there was also an egg slicer and a tea dispenser on the wall to name but a few).

[my bold]
Oi! I had an instacaddy or teamatic or whatever it was called. It was on the wall, sort of, as it was trendy at the time to cut a 6' length or two of narrow tongue-and-groove wall boards into irregular lengths and afix cup hooks, kitchen utensil rack, kitchen roll holder etc. Only needed two or three wall fixings that way for the whole lot.

We used a darning needle to blow eggs to paint, at school one Easter. That was pre-Betterware days though so no egg piercer. Deprived childhood ;)

Spam sushi would make a perfect ending line to the Spam and chips, or chips and Spam sketch :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Caddymatic?

I remember them and thought that was what the tea leaf dispensers were called but googling for a picture shows that it’s now the name of a range of golfing accessories as well (they were called Caddymatic it turns out)

Postby Uschi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I had an egg pricker to go with my chicken shaped egg boiler. Which was an excellent gadget (soft, medium, hard).
Perfect every time = German.

If you didn't prick them, they'd explode.

Almost every German household has an egg-pricker, but few have an egg boiler. :lol:

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:...[clip]...

Don't people have egg cups now? :?

I have a set of six walnut wood eggcups, bought at a boot sale ages ago as I've always loved beautiful wood grains. They are, and were when I bought them, too small for even medium eggs. They cleverly slot onto a walnut wood rod, although thus having a hole in them I can't use them for anything else. Ain't gonna part with them though.

Yes Stokey Sue, a Caddymatic. How did I manage instacaddy and teamatic, so close yet so far, like an epic fail game show competitor? Doh!

Now I learn that some households had chicken shaped egg boilers 8-) I bet they didn't have a Caddymatic though :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:18 am

Wow. Now I´ve heard it all. Spam Sushi. :shock:

Time to look back at the bloody Vikings in Monty Python! :gonzo

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:22 pm

we have a three or four egg cups. a ubiquitous glass chicken style one, a pink glass one that our daughter was given - and the only two that match were brought at a woodworking exhibition at somewhere like the wembley arena in the eighties. they were the second prize winners in a national woodworking/turning magazine competition. they are still very lovely and the ones we go to if a boiled egg is needed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:54 pm

My Danish dough whisk, discussed on the TV thread, has been used - it really is as easy as Nigella made it look, much easier than a wooden or silicone solid object to mix all the dough, which means I'm that much less likely to get the amount of liquid wrong

I went for this all stainless steel dishwasher safe one, very sturdy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:42 pm

I bought one of those in America. I've not really used it (but nice if not very American souvenire.) I'd never seen one before back then.

Will look into how to use it.

I lost all my egg cups, apart from my Rupert Bear one (survived) and Clangers ones (in the display cupboard) when the cupboard came off the wall.

A couple of old Corrnishware ones, a second Rupert one and I can't remember the rest so I guess they weren't that precious.

My mother had some 1960s pastel coloured melamine ones with crinkles. Must have a loook for them next time I am there.

edit: ooh liek these, nut less lurid

https://www.yayretro.co.uk/shop/17630/v ... cups--fab/

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:53 pm

gosh, i remember those, were they freebies with daz or omo, or something like that?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Think my mother had a set in the alternative turquoise & lime palette

I'm pretty sure she bought them as a set of 4

Mine are plain white French porcelain - I'd like to say there's a nice traveller's tale behind them, but I saw them in Butler's and though they'd do nicely; they have matching egg spoons which is a nice touch. I've also got an odd stainless steel one, which I think I had at uni

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:My Danish dough whisk, discussed on the TV thread, has been used - it really is as easy as Nigella made it look [...]I went for this all stainless steel dishwasher safe one, very sturdy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

i went for these ones as a birthday present for my partner (this week) for the same reasons.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:42 pm

I've managed to dissuade OH from wanting a mandolin :lol:

I just put "mandolin" in the search box and read him out some of the comments ;)

They've been using them on Masterchef and he asked me why we don't have one?! :roll: (Given that we're both musicians, albeit retired, I think it would be somewhat foolhardy :lol: )

Of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a finger-proof model that also uses down to the ends of whatever is being sliced, please do share it :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 pm

This is why I was talking about food processors that slice well KC2! Not going near a mandolin, not even Captain Corelli's :D

Reporting back on the remote sensor lights Gill recommended, - they are in my wardrobe, they are a great help, will need to recharge them this weekend, which is fine as they have lasted a full month

I have 2 in a fairly wide wardrobe, which works well, but if anyon eelse is doing this, DON'T TAKE the STICKY LABEL OFF, or when the first one comes on it will inhibit the second one

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox