Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Very good article, and I generally agree with him (I like Adam Liaw) but I disagree with him on the garlic crusher, I like mine which pretty much purées raw garlic (stainless steel, goes in the dishwasher) and surely the other ingredient gadget that woks is the cherry/olive stoner? Perhaps also the apple corer

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:53 pm

hmm - i don't have a stand mixer but do have a hand held - the bits take up less room in a dishwasher and counter/cupboard space.
i use the food processor a lot - rarely the blender attachment, i use the stick blender far more often - again less waste of the ingredients being blended and easier on dishwasher space (- and for making soap - and yesterday for some face cream). i regularly use the garlic press and apple corer.
i find the need for a rice cooker puzzling - you would have to eat a lot of rice for it to be worthwhile - unless you could use it for something else.
i think the writer may have a different lifestyle to us!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Adam is Malaysian Australian, so would need a rice cooker for family meals I suspect

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm

scullion wrote:i have just made some of the sev from the you tube link you gave. i used our potato ricer - they were really good.

In the end, I found my potato ricer makes better sev than the pukka sev-maker, Scullion! The holes are more cleanly machined, and happen to be exactly the right diameter for my favourite sev. The sev maker has a nozzle with identically sized holes to the ricer, so it was a great side-by-side test.

Here's my eventual plate of Bushey Mix (sev made with sev-maker), the other bits are peanuts (fried from raw), crispy fried onion, homemade crisps (I braved my Benriner mandolin) and deep fried crispy pawa rice flakes, the closest I could get to homemade puffed rice, which from what I gleaned from YouTube involves a complicated process involving hot sand.

My "dressing" hit the spot too, with a touch of chat masala.

EDIT: A pedant would say "What's the point when you can get it readymade for 75p a bag from Tesco".

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:18 pm

That Bushey mix looks great Sakkarin

But I might continue to buy my snacks from Cofresh

Postby Suffs » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Suffs would probably know but there used to be a famous shop in Norwich next door to The Mustard Shop which only sold whicker and cane. I got rid of an armchair from there I’d had for forty years only a while back.

Sorry ... I missed this Pepper ... you're referring to Hovells https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19345408 :( I still use a wicker shopping basket which came from there as a laundry basket to carry the washing to the washing machine and then out to hang on the line.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox