Register

preserving & pickling

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

preserving & pickling

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 am

I've got courgettes in the fridge that I won't be able to use.
And will be making courgette pickle this morning to preserve them. Should be rather nice with poached salmon some time at a later date:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cru ... tte-pickle

Some years ago, I think her name was Staffie something, gave me a pickled pineapple chutney recipe, that was exceptional.

Any other preserving ways that you can pass on?

Site Admin

Re: preserving & pickling

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:24 am

Not a recipe just a thought on last night's Masterchef, where one of the side dishes was "Pickled Vegetable Achar". I understood "achar" means "pickle" (as in my fave Achar Chicken Tikka), so that basically means pickled pickle, which in return reminds me of the world food "Minced Keema" pizzas they sell in Tesco. Again as "keema" means "mince", it's minced mince.

Pickled pickle with minced mince. Classic.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Any other preserving ways that you can pass on?

I founded a company over here in 2004 called "Masala Sabe Bien" - until 2014, when shortage of ingredients closed us down, we made anything up to 150 cases of conserves (jams, marmalades, jellies (as in pepper jellies), pickles, including many Indian pickles, hot sauces from all over the world, preserved veg, etc.,etc.,etc.) per month

Do you want a pineapple chutney recipe, Gill?
Let me have a look - I might have to re-translate it into English!!

Postby sunflower » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Not a recipe just a thought on last night's Masterchef, where one of the side dishes was "Pickled Vegetable Achar". I understood "achar" means "pickle" (as in my fave Achar Chicken Tikka), so that basically means pickled pickle, which in return reminds me of the world food "Minced Keema" pizzas they sell in Tesco. Again as "keema" means "mince", it's minced mince.

Pickled pickle with minced mince. Classic.

Achar to my understanding is spicy pickled vegetable either from India or SE Asian like Malaysian. I am not familiar with Indian achar. Eaten and made several Malysuan type Achar (or spell as acar) like these below

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 pm

That looks great, our Sunflower.

Yes please to the pineapple pickle recipe, KKA.

Postby sunflower » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 pm

For simple pickle recipes,

1. Sweet and sour chillies. Great to eat with noodles, grill meat and fish. Also great to add to any sweet and sour cooking. Dead simple to make. cut fresh chillies red, green or both into rings, put in a colander and shake off as much seeds as you can. Warm up some rice vinegar add enough sugar and salt to taste, stir till melted then add in the chilli and leave to marinate for about 1/2 day to 1 day before ready to use. Avoid using very mild chilli as this will not give you the kick after pickling. Keep in fridge up to few weeks. The longer you keep the less spicy the chilli will become.

2. Pickled beetroot. Boil or steam fresh beetroot with its skin on. When softened leave to cool, peel and cut into bite size or slices. Marinate with standard balsamic vinegar, sugar and pinch of salt. Ready to eat overnight.

3. Pickle fresh gherkin (mini cucumber). Fresh gherkin is easily available from any Polish shop especially in the summer. Wash, top and tail then cut into small chunks. Blanch in boiling water for about 10 seconds. Drain and wash with cold water. Shake off excess warter. Prepare the sweet vinegar with rice vinegar, sugar and salt (can heat briefly to melt the sugar) pour the sweet vinegar into the gherkin and leave to pickle overnight before ready to use. Will keep in the fridge up to few weeks. If you like chilli you can add some chopped chilli to the pickle.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:14 pm

How about this courgette recipe from our Mamta? It's a fresh pickle as it were. I've made it a few times and it's seriously good....

https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_di ... p?id=13863

I also have an Eastern Europe style onion and red pepper pickle recipe that works with courgettes. I can post it if you like.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 pm

That does look better than the recipe I've just picked up.
I've panch pooran in too, from a food festival.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Pineapple & Ginger Pickle

1 kg fresh pineapple
25 gms fresh ginger
25 gms golden raisins
4 cloves garlic
25 gms hot chiles ( I use a fairly mild variety)
400 gms sugar
200 mls white wine vinegar
1 tsp kalonji/nigella seeds (optional)
1 tsp sea salt
5 200 ml jars

Peel the pineapple and dice the fruit. Scrape the ginger, peel the garlic and remove the stems from the chiles, then chop all three finely (or just blitz in the blender with a bit of the vinegar).
Place all the ingredients in a stainless steel pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the pickle thickens, about 20-25 minutes. Bottle immediately .
The flavour develops over time so I try not to open the pickle for at least a month.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:12 pm

That looks lovely! Next time I see a pineapple going cheap I shall try that. :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Thank you kindly, Clive.

Postby Lokelani » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:01 pm

I know you probably want to preserve them, but when I had a glut I found a lovely fresh courgette salad dish. I can't remember where it came from or the exact quantity of courgette.

Courgettes raw cut into ribbons (use food processor or just a peeler)
Dressing -
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tabs oil
Poppy seeds
1 tiny garlic clove crushed
S&P

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:08 am

That's a lovely fresh alternative, thank you Lokelani.

Postby Renee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 am

What a lovely recipe KK!

Thanks also to you, Lokelani. I will definitely try that.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 pm

How easy was that, Seatallan.
Your're right, it smells amazing, and tastes lovely when you put the lemon in especially.

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Looks gorgeous Gil

Postby Seatallan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:45 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Gil! I must make it again myself soon.... :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:20 pm

May I just add my 2 farthings..... Last year I grew far too many ridge cucumbers to be eaten fresh and gave many away to lovely neighbours. So with my Polish heritage I pickled jars of ridge cucumber - O gorky (sp) of various flavours - 10 HUGE jars to be exact. On speaking to various individuals from that region it would seem that the liquid is brine with very little or no vinegar just spices to suit the taste. I included dill, chilli, bay, fennel (fronds) and vine leaves. We are still working our way through them but the Polish staff seem to enjoy them and polish (please excuse the pun) off a jar almost between 2 of them at one sitting !!!!

Interestingly, the juice from the pickles is also incorporated into a Polish soup..... times have been hard in the past !

When pickling, I have not even slightly boiled the cucumbers, just poured over boiling brine (with a touch of vinegar for our taste).

An anecdote..... apparently a tractor company in the Ukraine (some considerable years ago) could not afford to pay their staff but had received in payment for tractors, a large consignment of pickled cucumbers so paid their staff in pickled cucumbers......!

2 of my cucumbers hid behind cucumber leaves in the GH last autumn and went beyond being anything but 'mothers' to this years crop. They are now about 4" high and have very good stories to tell.... !

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:54 am

I absolutely ADORE Polish pickled gherkins/cucumbers!
I´ve been trying for years to get the balance right, and it´s never quite there. Still, I suppose I´ll just have to keep going.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Lokelani wrote:I know you probably want to preserve them, but when I had a glut I found a lovely fresh courgette salad dish. I can't remember where it came from or the exact quantity of courgette.

Courgettes raw cut into ribbons (use food processor or just a peeler)
Dressing -
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tabs oil
Poppy seeds
1 tiny garlic clove crushed
S&P

Yes, we also do something like that, without the poppy seeds. It was a Nigel Slater recipe, I think, that OH found. he's a great NS fan.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox