Register

Tahini

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tahini

Postby Placitasgirl1 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am

Thank you for your comments everyone and what a lovely welcome back!

I too liked the recipe for it's simplicity and although not ingredients I'd have paired myself, it has to be worth a shot. Really pared back for an Ottolenghi recipe too.

If you do try it before I do I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Postby Lokelani » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm

I can't wait to that recipe either, some of my favourite flavours & if I remember correctly I have some salmon in the freezer. Definitely have sumac & za'atar in the cupboard. Thanks to this thread I know I have tahini as I searched the larder cupboard & found the jar I thought I had. We had salmon last night, but will try it next week if I can find more. Thank you Placitagirl!

Edit to add I'll bet it would be just as delicious with chicken, as that's what I'd normally use sumac, za'atar & tahini with. Or maybe even pork. I'm feeling hungry now with contemplating the nutty, citrus flavours all together! :lol:

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 pm

They’re all lovely flavours . I went through a spate a couple of years ago cooking Middle Eastern inspired food with Ottolenghi and Sabrina Ghayour recipes . Might be worth a revisit . I love sumac especially.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 am

I've started using a quarter or two of preserved lemon now

This reminded me that I'd got a jar in the fridge I made some time ago (late Cretaceous maybe)

Anyway, I popped a piece in the slow cooker with yesterday's pheasant. It raised it to a new level, too.

Thank you Scully :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Placitasgirl1 wrote:I bookmarked this recipe a few weeks ago thinking it might make a nice springtime supper:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/FuhbZnh/za ... ttolenghi/

I have to admit though that I'm not keen on salmon (the "cooked" variety, though I love smoked salmon), and not a huge fan of tahini - though I do make a dipping sauce to go with my felafel. Hubby loves both and I will definitely give it a go in the coming weeks. Another plus is that it doesn't require a huge amount of "exotic" ingredients as some of Yottam's recipes do. We have all these bits in the cupboard so must pick up some salmon on my next excursion out from lockdown and "shielding" hubby.

PS, I'm not new here but I had to register with a new user name; I was previously just Placitasgirl; it's good to be back!

That looks excellent, thank you! We also have all the ingredients except the fish ... :lol: Hopefully DS will get us some soon at our Little Waitrose on their 3 for £10 offer. Reading another thread reminded me that you posted this!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:49 am

I have ALL the ingredients so will be making this too. :yum Useful that I can make a single serving :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:00 am

I mentioned on another thread that I made it the other day. Although I usually like all the ingredients, I wasn't keen on the spices with salmon. I loved the sauce though. As I didn't have (and am not overly fond of) spinach I used courgette slices which worked quite well I thought.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Well, I've got the tahini again. From Tesco - they had it hidden in the fajita aisle.

I'm starting to forget what I promised I'd cook. Patsy's apple slice, apple cake, h/m marmite, quiche with spinach .... I've got everything in for quiche tomorrow.
I'll have to write up a things to cook list.

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 pm

I agree everyone's definitely got their cooking mojo on at the moment. I think maybe more time to cook generally and less of the usual things we enjoy being available so there is always cooking to fall back on. Plus of course more cooking generally as no eating out

Postby halfateabag » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Used T. today in hummus......

I definitely have a cooking bug ATM. Cooked a sort of mince/veg mix for a garlic bread topped 'pie' later in the week. Lamb stew presently in slow cooker and lovely neighbours grandkids made them fudge which they don't eat so we ended up with it ! :yum I did her shopping at Lidls today and she was most grateful. We (2 of us) and they, (2 of them) are sharing packs of F&V and it is working very well indeed. Great to see so much home cooking and baking returning.......long may it stay.....

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox