Register

Tahini

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tahini

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 pm

I always thought that it would keep for ages but the last jar that I bought said it had to be used withing a month of opening! It's still in the cupboard.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:24 pm

What excellent ideas to the norm. Thank you to everyone.
I've put it back on my shopping list for Friday. I hope Tesco has some in.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Pampy wrote:I always thought that it would keep for ages but the last jar that I bought said it had to be used withing a month of opening! It's still in the cupboard.

I’ve seen that and I don’t understand it either

I’ve googled and I can’t find anything to suggest there’s a particular problem so I will continue to replace the lid carefully and keep it in the dark, as oils spoil more rapidly if exposed to light

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Well I've got sesame oil from gawd knows when in my cupboard. That's fine.
I kind of wish I'd not thrown it now.
Never mind. I'll get some more.

And good to know I don't need to clutter my fridge - although we are planning on buying a tall fridge (= lots of space) in the coming months.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Tahini is extremely versatile for both savoury and sweet dishes. Great sesame flavour. Can be used from like a nut butter to emulsified sauces and dressings as well as in dishes, as mentioned - middle eastern style. It's also hugely nutritious.

As for keeping, I agree, Stokey. Would keep as for oil or even in the fridge. I've used tahini that's sat around for a quite a while no prob. Most use by dates are pretty short and overhcautious imo.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:47 pm

I think of Paul Gaugain every time I see this thread! I know it was Tahiti, not Tahini...

Postby Binky » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm

We went to the Gauguin Museum when we visited Tahiti/Moorea yonks ago. We came away with a distinctly underwhelming opinion of PG. The horrible man spread venereal disease among the native girls, and there was suggestion that's why he left France and his wife in the first place - loose habits and the clap, so was persona non grata at home.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm

I recall hearing that, basically responsible for the death of half the people in the island paradise he plundered :-(

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:03 am

My tahini just has a Use By date on it, which isn't for a couple of years and has no information about how long to keep it after it is opened. I have always kept it for quite a long time with no problems.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:23 am

I´ve made my own, tired of the exorbitant prices charged in the local supermarkets.
It lasts for ages and ages, outside the fridge, and as other posters suggest - it´s a good idea to give it a stir from time to time so the sesame paste doesn´t clog on the bottom.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 am

Paul Gaugain

what a dog!
I've seen his works, and like Egon Schiele, I was not bowled over. Unlike pretty much most painters I've seen from around this era.

I wonder if he liked tahini tho .....

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Do you include oriental sesame paste? I've got a jar of Woh Hup sesame paste, I think I used it for Fuchsia recipes, but can't remember - the BBE date on it is 2011, so it was a while back. The oil smells slightly musty, but I'd probably use the paste in an emergency. Most of it is gone so I clearly used it a lot, I'm pretty sure some of might have gone into a hummus when I ran out of tahini. Maybe Sunflower would recall some dishes it features in!

On the jar:
SERVING SUGGESTION: "This paste is an essential ingredient in Chinese BBQ recipes. When cook with water, sugar and rice flour, it becomes a delicious dessert."

I'm pretty sure it's toasted, although the ingredients list just says "crushed sesame seeds". Here's an article I spotted when I was looking for a pic, which insists they're different animals...
https://www.myrecipes.com/ingredients/w ... and-tahini

EDIT: My Tahini has a BBE of 2018, and again smells slightly musty but I'd use it in an emergency, although I guess it's got to be on my next shopping list given that I love hummus.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm

i had some rather nice, sweet, rice balls from an asian supermarket a couple of years ago which had a filling of sesame paste - i think they were japanese. they seemed to be recognisable as rice rather than rice flour and were in the sushi chiller.
i have thought about having a go at making them using the more solid layer at the bottom of a jar of tahini.

Postby sunflower » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:35 pm

The chinese sesame paste should be 100% sesame seeds either white, black or a combinations of both. The seeds are roasted much browner before grinding to give it a much deeper and stronger taste than tahini. Some manufacturers add cheaper fillers like peanuts and/oil. Read the ingredient list before buying.

The soft chewy soft balls filled with black sesame paste, the pastry is made with glutinous rice flour. The filling normally made with freshly roasted and ground black sesame then mix with sugar and finely chopped pork fat meat (not lard) for two purposes one is to bind the ingredient second is to liquify the filling after cooking so when you bite into it will flow out. I have seen recipe using butter instead of pork fat it's ok but not authentic.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:42 pm

from what i remember they were a little different to those. they may well have had black sesame paste in, but the grains of rice were definitely visible and they weren't chewy or in liquid/syrup - and the filling didn't seem overly oily or liquid. (and i'm pretty sure the label was japanese).

Postby Placitasgirl1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:10 pm

I bookmarked this recipe a few weeks ago thinking it might make a nice springtime supper:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/FuhbZnh/za ... ttolenghi/

I have to admit though that I'm not keen on salmon (the "cooked" variety, though I love smoked salmon), and not a huge fan of tahini - though I do make a dipping sauce to go with my felafel. Hubby loves both and I will definitely give it a go in the coming weeks. Another plus is that it doesn't require a huge amount of "exotic" ingredients as some of Yottam's recipes do. We have all these bits in the cupboard so must pick up some salmon on my next excursion out from lockdown and "shielding" hubby.

PS, I'm not new here but I had to register with a new user name; I was previously just Placitasgirl; it's good to be back!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Nice to see you again Placitasgirl!

That looks quite interesting - I have everything except the salmon

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:30 am

Hello Placitasgirl!

Many of those ingredients are particular favourites of mine, yet I can't imagine the combination with salmon! I shall be trying it very soon, there is salmon in the freezer.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:44 am

What a find of a recipe, Placitagirl.
So simple, and I've got everything except the fish.

It reminds me of a Rick Stone recipe for its simplicity. He baked fish smothered in double cream and mace.
I had to try it, and it was not bad. Memorable for its ease, rather than the results.

Postby Renee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:55 am

What a super recipe, Placitagirl! Thank you very much.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox