Register

Tahini

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tahini

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:39 am

I've just seen it on your favourites list, Earthmaiden.

What can you do with it, please?
I had some in the fridge for so long, untouched really. I've had to get rid of it as it was opened.
I had a plan ages ago to mix it with a Polish jam of some sort, from another site, but I cannot remember exactly the product I was looking for in the local delicatessens, here.

I did make Polish jam from my plum picking, that was out of this world. Thanks MariaK for your advice.
It took hours to reduce.

Re: Tahini

Postby Renee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 am

I use it to make hummous, Gill, which reminds me that I haven't made it for a while. It can be used to make a creamy dressing, I seem to remember, by just mixing with water.

I believe that it does keep for quite a long time.

Postby mistakened » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am

Tahini is essentially a ground sesame paste, essential for combining with yoghurt to make sauce for falafel
Tavernas here sometimes provide small dishes of tahini together with toasted pitta as part of a meal. The local bakers make small pastries containing tahini, they are disconcerting, you expect the pastry to be sweet then get a savoury tahini hit.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:48 am

There's a Middle Eastern spread called Rashi & dibis, or in some places Dibis & rashi, doubtless with regional variations on the spelling. It's a mixture of tahini and date molasses :yum

Tahini can also be used in a dressing for noodles. Google 'cold sesame noodles'. I first saw it in a Ken Hom book years ago, have made it many times, usually quite spicy.

With a little water added it can be turned into a dip.

Presumably it could be used to make halva. I've never tried

Postby halfateabag » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 am

I make hummus from scratch and use T. in this. Shop bought hummus lacks the flavour of T, which is why Mr. Z prefers mine. Although I did buy a moroccan one from Morribobs recently and that was very good. No detection of T. but the flavour & texture was excellent. I also have a bottle of T. dressing which is nice over shredded romano lettuce.

T. keeps for years - I don't keep mine in the fridge and the jar needs stirring very very well before using any.

Postby miss mouse » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am

For another sauce, dressing or dip lemon juice can be added.

Postby Lokelani » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:15 am

I quite like the Waitrose one & use it to make tahini. It's also lovely drizzled over a greek inspired traybake of chicken, pepper, olives, halloumi cubes. I mix it with greek yogurt & lemon juice to taste, sometimes a bit of honey if I feel it needs it.

Postby Renee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks so much for the great ideas and the fact that it keeps for such a long time!

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am

you can also spread it on bread like peanut butter.

Postby sunflower » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Gill tahini will lasts a long time in the fridge as long as it does not smell or taste rancid.

You can add some to bread mx to give it a nutty taste.

Another way I use it is to make an Asian style salad dressing with tahini diluted with a little hot water if it is very thick then mix with a little rice wine/ lemon juice, a bit of light soy sauce, a bit of sugar and a hint of mashed garlic (optional). This dressing is great with spinach or green leaf salad

Postby mistakened » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:56 am

Badger's Mate wrote:Tahini can also be used in a dressing for noodles. Google 'cold sesame noodles'. I first saw it in a Ken Hom book years ago, have made it many times, usually quite spicy.

Thank you for reminding me about cold sesame noodles

Postby Binky » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:59 am

There is usually a liquid on top if the tahini (olive oil maybe?). The tahini paste will stay edible as long as the liquid is still there with its protective cover. And it's been kept in the fridge.

When OH needed a packed lunch, I used to whack a tin of drained chickpeas in the food processor with a couple of garlic cloves, some fresh lemon juice and a couple if tablespoons of tahini paste. It made a fab hummous to go with crudites and a wholemeal roll.

Postby smitch » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:08 am

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am

Binky wrote: I used to whack a tin of drained chickpeas in the food processor with a couple of garlic cloves, some fresh lemon juice and a couple if tablespoons of tahini paste.

I've started using a quarter or two of preserved lemon now, rather than lemon juice - it raises it to another level.

the oil on the top is sesame oil.

Postby Amyw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am

I’ve tried that recipe smitch , seconding the recommendation, is very nice . Tahini brownies are also very good

Postby mistakened » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:45 am

Badger's Mate wrote:There's a Middle Eastern spread called Rashi & dibis, or in some places Dibis & rashi,

I found several recipes, I wonder if it would work with carob molasses, worth a try.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm

Binky wrote:There is usually a liquid on top if the tahini (olive oil maybe?). The tahini paste will stay edible as long as the liquid is still there with its protective cover. And it's been kept in the fridge.

The oil is sesame oil, and as others have said should be stirred in before using the tahini - there’s nothing in the jar but finely ground sesame seeds and maybe a little salt

I was in a discussion elsewhere about keeping tahini on the fridge, most brands now recommend it on the label I never found it necessary but obviously it does reduce the risk of rancidity and some say it separates less. The only way it can go off is by going rancid so first a sniff then a taste and if it’s still sweet it’s fine

There’s a Chinese sesame paste, and there’s a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe in which she says tahini won’t work as a substitute but this is surprising as I’ve had them both in the cupboard at the same time and although I could tell the difference (tahini is sweeter, the Chinese stuff slightly more savoury) I can’t see why it wouldn’t work

It goes in a lot of Middle Eastern food, notably hummus, mutabal (aubergine dip) and tahini sauce. The recipes I use are on this website, which I have recommended before. Tahini sauce is often spiked with garlic and parsley, though not here

http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ummus.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:18 pm

Yes, it was on my list. Apart from wanting to eat it straight from the jar (on a teaspoon with a tiny pinch of salt :oops:), I use it roughly in the ways people have described, as a dressing or sauce ingredient, in hummus, for some raw date and nut balls etc. I think it is a very versatile ingredient which was one of many reasons for picking it.

There are a couple of new twists mentioned above that I look forward to trying.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:41 pm

scullion wrote:
Binky wrote: I used to whack a tin of drained chickpeas in the food processor with a couple of garlic cloves, some fresh lemon juice and a couple if tablespoons of tahini paste.

I've started using a quarter or two of preserved lemon now, rather than lemon juice - it raises it to another level.

What a good idea, Scully, We've still got a few preserved lemons so I must give that a try.
We use tahini regularly. As well as hummus, we've also made an alternative dip with white beans and yogurt instead of chick peas, when we've been out of chickpeas. You can add virtually anything to the basic recipe - beetroot, carrot, red pepper etc.

It's lovely with some olive oil, lemon and garlic dribbled over roast cauliflower with ground coriander. The different brands seem to vary in terms of how liquid they are but I haven't ever actually compared them.

Postby sunflower » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:41 pm

The chinese sesame paste is more savoury I think it's because the seeds are roasted browner before grinding to a paste.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox