Register

things to do or watch.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

things to do or watch.

Postby scullion » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:21 pm

as well as the national theatre's screenings, miracle theatre, a local company are putting some of their stuff for free on you tube.
tonight, at seven, is 'tin'. i'm not sure if they are on for longer or just the one night.
next month's offering is 'the case of the frightened lady' which was really well done - i saw it at the minack.

Re: things to do or watch.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:20 pm

I've been watching, and have now finished, Deadwater Fell. Dreadful name but mostly good though I have reservations. Excellent cast of course - and it's available as a free box set on some platforms, I watched it on Virgin

I marked a load of films to watch on Amazon Prime, can't remember which, I'll let you know if they are any good

I did watch the Gary Oldman 2011 version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy, I'm with Kermode - best version in many ways. Oldman & Cumberbatch are excellent as is Tom Hardy but Toby Jones as Alleline is outstanding - a character I didn't really "get" from either th ebook or the Alec Guinness TV version

Postby Binky » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:27 pm

We watched a film on Netflix a couple of nights ago - "The Highwaymen". A true story of the tracking down and capture of Bonnie and Clyde.

I didn't see the opening credits and wondered who the fat actor with the croaky voice was. I said to OH, "He looks like Kevin Costner's dad" to which Oh replied it is Kevin Costner. Such a shock after seeing him in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves last week.

Postby Wic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:52 pm

We watched the original TV series of Tinker Tailor. The later film, for us, didn’t even come close. We recorded the TV series and than got it on CD. It’s just like the TV version, slightly faded and a bit shaky, but, we think, outstanding.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Wic wrote:We watched the original TV series of Tinker Tailor.

I haven't see the film, the telly series was gripping I agree, as were the books.

For a netflix weepie romcom try 'women in black' total tosh, nice frocks and a blessed relief from the current shambles.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm

There's more free theatre here:

https://www.hampsteadtheatre.com/news/2 ... _6kxyn4oZ0

I don't watch a lot of tv and struggling a bit with husband coming into the sitting room around 9pm and wanting to watch something, anything...

Also I can't sleep if I watch stuff just before bedtime.

We have, perhaps bizarrely, been watching old episdoes of Bulman on DVD.

I subscribed to Britbox for original Doctor Who, but not watched any yet. The rest of its offerings are a bit trashy.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:19 pm

I think the thing about Tinker Tailor is the TV series, which takes as long to watch as it does to read the book, a long one - is a very different thing from a film of less than 2 hours.. It's cut and condensed of course, but it's done well, and all the subplots are cut out which I think makes it gripping

Loved the TV series when it was first shown, but it didn't entirely grip me second time round

If I need cheering up I will watch Paddington 2 again - Hugh Grant channelling Nicholas Parsons' evil twin is hilarious

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:13 pm

the globe theatre are following the national's lead with their production of 'hamlet', being shown until the 19th of april.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:17 pm

This might be good. I have been to quite a few 5x15s in the last few years.

https://www.5x15.com/events/5x15-april- ... Z7kQ6yBaTg

Postby Luca » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Interesting thread. Thanks. I shall add to it if I can.

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:49 pm

i should have remembered ted talks - durr!
short (or long) talks/lectures on many different subjects.

there are plenty of other free theatre productions listed here including the nt, saddlers wells and the royal opera house.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:21 pm

In my diary, I also have talks (live streaming?) from the marvellous South East London Folklore Society (talk on Dr Dee) and the London Fortean Society (on shapeshifters) :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Put this on the Wildfood campsite but repeating here as tv

Relevant to various discussions of disinfectants etc, Channel 4 are doing a special edition of How Clean is your House? tonight at 8pm

So you can get your info from a real expert (it seems to an academic, not Aggie)

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/cor ... ode-guide/

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:29 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:02 pm

Oh dear! ;)

I've been doing a quiz which a friend sent to a group of us this week. It's the sort you look at and try to do a bit of each day. I was going to post it but can't work out a way of posting a file which has come from Word or a pdf. Is there a way?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:38 pm

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/cirqueconnect

I've just had my attention drawn to these 60 minute specials. 8pm tonight but is available afterwards, as are previous ones.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Still available on catchup from Film 4, there's a cute little Oscar-nominated French stop-frame animation film "My Life As A Courgette", if you like that kind of thing. Not really aimed at kids though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:45 pm

If anyone missed last night’s Horizon coronavirus special, it’s on iPlayer and highly recommended. A lot of it may not feel like new news but the computer simulations, the maths, and the details really help the clarity.

I didn’t shout at it once!

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm

yes, saw it - my partner's comment was that at last someone's showing decent data. he didn't shout at it either.
it was the first of a two part according to the radio times.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:10 pm

Series 3 of Killing Eve on iPlayer from Monday.
Daft as anything but I love it possibly because Sandra Oh is one of those actors you could watch peeling potatoes

The Stephen Frears drama Quiz, based on the true story of the coughing major on Who wants to be a Millionaire ITV) is worth a try, as is the documentary about PrueLeith and her adopted daughter going to Cambodia to find her birth family, channel 4 Wednesday

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox