Register

jackpot in super market this morning

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

lfoxr deactivated

jackpot in super market this morning

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:48 am

hit jackpot this morning: eggs, toilet paper 48 pack, paper towels 12 pack;
meats of all sorts ,kleenex , flour, whole milk, pasta, soap,hand sanitizer and 20 lbs of spuds.
there was a lot more but most are not limit goods.

Re: jackpot in super market this morning

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Jolly good. Glad you got what you need.
I managed to get an online slot yesterday with a supermarket I've used for years for a delivery today(!), which I assume must have been a cancellation, so very lucky.

My real jackpot though is that I've won £2m due to my mobile phone number being randomly selected in a Euro draw, according to a text message. I could have added champers and Beluga caviar to my online order ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Just make sure you give them all your banking details Jeral! :lol:

Postby scullion » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:44 pm

i didn't know that 'tail timber' (see radio times!) could come in packs of 48.
an 18 pack takes up enough space and with a spare one of those, will keep us 'clean' for a few months.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:01 pm

How many people in your household that you’d need 48 toilet rolls

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:17 pm

I buy them in packs of 40 - but that's because I get them from Costco when they are on offer - works out far cheaper than buying smaller packs from the supermarket.

Postby scullion » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:24 pm

they would work out rather expensive for me - the nearest costco is 180 miles away!

Postby Suffs » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Ours is about 90 miles away ... not as far as yours Scully, but much too far to tempt me :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't even have to go myself - my sister lives very close to one so she gets whatever I need and gives it to me when we meet up!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:17 pm

If you buy only what you need for a short period of time you have to go to the supermarket more often, which we are discouraged from doing. It seems one can't win really. But yes 48 should last a fair while :) We usually buy large packs. I also buy massive bottles of laundry detergent and dishwasher tablets. Ordinarily, this would not really be commentworthy. I think we had a thread on WF about things we always stock up on for fear of runing out of.

I am now on day 17 since my last supermarket shop. I have not had an acknowledgmentt of my veg, milk and eggs order which I do need, now. I shall chase it up.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:30 pm

I realised I “hoard” loo rolls routinely - I live alone in a flat with only one WC but I tend to buy paper when they put the 18 roll packs on offer as I have plenty of storage

Same with some other stuff, I’ve been quite surprised what I’ve run out of (floor wash) and what has held up (loo rolls)

Costco not that near to me, and no use as I don’t drive

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 pm

I always have big stocks of anything that is non-perishable or can be frozen over late autumn/winter/early spring because where I live gets cut off at the first sign of snow. Not that I live in a remote area, it's just that I live at the bottom of a steep cul-de-sac, which is at the bottom of another steep road, which is off another very steep road! My car has 4-wheel drive but it's a sports car which has very little ground clearance so if there's any reasonable covering of snow, it's useless! The only shopping that I've really worried about getting hold of is fresh fruit, veg, milk, bread flour, yeast and free range chicken - otherwise, I think I could last for months!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:49 pm

I buy toilet rolls, dishwasher tablets and Persil non-Bio twice a year at Costco. Have done since there were 6 of us living here and now we are three haven't changed my habits.

The only thing I'm finding it hard to get is flour.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 pm

I have been struggling with bread flour too.
Neighbour added it to her Ocado order but they sent a bread mix as a substitute so that was rejected.

J managed to get some near where he is (still) working.
Waitrose in Mountsorrel if anyone is in the right area.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:37 pm

I had a sort through my baking shelves. Quite a lot of out of (some very) out of date flour. I guess it's worth a try.
Wish I could get food delivered/click and collect.

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:39 pm

If you’re registered with Tesco, new slots are available at midnight every day. I managed to get a click and collect for later this month.

I’m also really pleased as a lovely vegan cafe and deli in Glossop has started a delivery service and we’re just inside their catchment area.

Have ordered some gram flour to try the chickpea tofu and the pancakes linked to elsewhere, plus some home made seitan, some burger buns and a few bits of fruit and veg.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Will try that, Smitch. Although if I am awake at midnight, I will be awake at 3am :? worth it, I guess. I'd rather shop with Sainsbury's but don't have my own account - in the past I have used my mother's (which I set up and pay for, of course) but daren't jeopardize her vulnerable person priority.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:13 am

Alas nothing :( I was on the site and logged in etc. No slots appeared. In the end I refreshed and it send me to a queque to get back on to the page. I was queuing for about 3 minutes and by the time I got on there, there was nothing. I tried so hard not to get my hopes up, but clearly had.
I really don't want to risk going to the supermarket with my husband's asthma...

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:36 am

I don't think I'm going to get lucky with another click and collect. I had made my mind up to go to a local farm shop at the end of the week but GD's mum has now organised me a fruit, veg & dairy box. I can do without bread but had really wanted hot cross buns :(. I don't need them. Going shopping just for them defeats the object of trying to minimise going to shops but if I happened to see any as I walked round to the pharmacy to collect a prescription on Monday I would be sorely tempted.

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:55 am

herbidacious wrote:...
I really don't want to risk going to the supermarket with my husband's asthma...

My sis in E Yorks tells me today that inhalers are in short supply. Might be worth checking availability in your area.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox