Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Rainbow » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:41 am

Earthmaiden wrote:It really is an unknown where we are going at the moment what with Covid and Brexit isn't it!

EM - over here we don't have the Brexit thing, but just having Covid is bad enough :(
Victoria has had a sharp rise in Covid cases and Melbourne is back in Lockdown again! Only takeaway from cafes etc. - they were open for about 3 weeks but it's all gone backward. And some public housing tower blocks are closed and guarded - no-one can leave or enter :o
I think, after lots of testing, it's only one tower block now - but lots of resentment having police guarding the entrances etc. And there are lots of refugees and people with disabilities in there, feeling really targeted.
Queensland is opening the borders today (except to Victorians!!) and thousands of people are expected to come over for some sunshine in winter. Hope we don't go the same way as Victoria!

Postby mistakened » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:17 am

Good Morning Campers
Earthmaiden wrote:t really is an unknown where we are going at the moment what with Covid and Brexit isn't it!
Oh No, not the B word :o

Another sign of normality returning, we are playing Mah Jong this morning.
There is a very ripe small melon in the fruit bowl, I think that we shall have it this evening with some Serrano Ham.

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:We are having similar discussions about whether halls can open for our Zumba and Fitsteps classes. Some opinions indicate that some people have no idea of current rules about social distancing and/or when/where to wear masks :roll:

In the email our Northwood gym has sent Pat they have said that it’s only the pool and machines/weights etc that will be available. There will be no classes for the foreseeable future.

Morning all. It’s stopped raining!

Postby halfateabag » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 am

What's rain ??? Sorry...... it's half nine here and we are already sweltering. We found a track (seems to be used a lot by locals) so are going for a wander around before midday. I have put some white dried beans into soak, will have them for supper with some of the sausage that is still lurking in the fridge. This kitchen is really on trial here !!!

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:58 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

We have sunshine 8-)

I had such a brilliant dream where I gave a very irritating someone a real piece of my mind. It was very satisfying, but I’d better keep such action in dreamland and not let it out into reality :stfu :x

Today I have a bit of paperwork to do ... then a chicken and veg traybake to prep for supper (chicken thighs, chorizo, tomatoes, peppers etc to be served with couscous), then reading, painting etc for the rest of the day. OH won’t be back until 6ish.

Postby icelesley » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am

Good Morning campers. It's stopped raining :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana it's still dull at the moment, but hopefully it will brighten up later. The beast looks keen to go for her walk this morning which is a good sign too :D

Postby Kacey » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am

We have sunshine too!

First visit in 17 weeks to the hairdresser last night! No longer look like a shaggy dog, and like a miracle, all the grey I didn't even know I had has been banished!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:55 am

Pepper Pig wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:We are having similar discussions about whether halls can open for our Zumba and Fitsteps classes. Some opinions indicate that some people have no idea of current rules about social distancing and/or when/where to wear masks :roll:

In the email our Northwood gym has sent Pat they have said that it’s only the pool and machines/weights etc that will be available. There will be no classes for the foreseeable future.

I'll pass that message back Jude - thanks :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:02 am

Morning all! :wave. A beautiful sunny day here. I hope it stays that way. I might take the car somewhere nice and have a good walk.

Yes Moira, the B word! I am increasingly worried that it is hiding behind Covid a bit too much.

Rainbow, the Victoria outbreak seems such a step backwards. I think it may happen like that everywhere so a planned drill to carry out immediately it does is important.

You seem to be having very vivid dreams lately, Suffs. Have you been eating cheese before bed?

I've just seen the recycling collectors fly by doing the fortnightly collection. I could have sworn it was only last week that they came before but my diary says otherwise, semi-lockdown time flies so fast :? . I'll have plenty for next time :roll:.

I need to start thinking about appointments I suppose. The dentist left a message yesterday asking me to make one. Really not in any hurry, even for hair. Apart from the grey, my hair is in the state of disorder and length it was for many years and feels quite familar. Not quite so becoming on the hag which has materialised below though :roll:

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:40 am

I think I'm sleeping much better recently ... real deep sleep ... so great dreams ... I have always had interesting dreams, and in colour ... I don't understand people saying 'do you dream in colour?'.

Glad some folk are looking well coiffed now ... I'm not bothering yet ... OH's ministrations have been quite good so far ... but I phoned the dentist yesterday presuming they would postpone my check up appointment on the 28th like they did last time, but they said they're expecting me then. I suppose even a dentist needs some sort of income and checkups are probably the safest for them ... no spray flying around.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am

Waiting to hear what they're going to do at local pool/leisure centre. I imagine there'll be a booking system for the pool and that you'll need to arrive with swimsuit already on (which was what I always did anyway). The changing area is quite big and open plan (with lots of individual cubicles as well as a series of shower areas) so I imagine they'll be able to come up with a method to render it comparitively covid-compatible. We'll see. Whatever they do, it will be lovely to get a swim in if I can as I've missed it.

Hairdresser beckons!! See you later :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:46 am

Morning. Some sun here but quite a lot of cloud. Early dark, menacing, gothic novel cloud, but now white, fluffy but mountainous proportions from where I am sitting. Have been to collect shopping from Sainsbury’s. Lots of subs but all reasonable apart from subbing McDonald's thickening granules for yeast :o It was more trouble than it was worth trying to find it amongst the numerous bags, whose handles had been tied together. It might be useful? No yeast, then, and we are running rather low now, I think there's some brown/wholemeal/not white flour.
Man is here to replace the door right now.
While moving things I was a bit shocked at how crowded the patio is. I think all this rain has made things grow a lot. Will be sorting this out tomorrow. maybe even if it’s raining.

There is a danger that workwise today might be 'one of those days'. But I had one yesterday, so I had better not let it be... once the door man has gone. I used to treat Friday as a day on which I could relax a bit more, unless I had something very urgent to do, but I don't do this anymore, probably because of the aforementioned nagging l feeling that I am never doing enough.

We keep the cat litter box in the lean to, and I moved it into our downstairs loo to get it out of the way for the carpenter. Lily of course decided to use it. Her mother never taught her properly. She digs a hole with her front paws, but then goes to the loo without moving from the spot (front paws still in hole, her behind nowhere near the hole.)

This sunshine is doing wonders for my mood. (Not husband's though, alas :o He says he has cabin fever.)

re dreams, I used to dream or remember my dreams, far more than I do now. I am not sure about colour. I don't think they are terribily visual. I am not a visual thinker, so this would make sense.

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 am

good morning, all.
sunny - and for all day it seems.
my partner is off to the dump.
our yoga class restarted a week or so ago as an outdoor affair, in a smaller version, more often, in participants gardens.
we headed for a walk on the beach yesterday which included a bit of a beach clean and gathering a bag of seaweed. according to my partner there was a barely recognisable dead dolphin at the top of the beach round at lushington. i hadn't noticed it as i was at the bottom of the beach, closer to the sea. he said it was really smelly - but the gulls didn't care.
there were obvious visitors there but they tend to stay on the main beach rather than heading sideways.
on our way back to the cafe i had to make my way between a couple of families who were filling the slipway while packing their stuff away (why they couldn't have done it where they had been sitting is ponderable). i heard one woman say ' you don't expect this weather in july' (it was a little mizzly, blowing in from the sea) so i pointed out that yes, we do in july and august and that the best weather is to be had in june and september.
we had coffee and shared a box of nachos outside the beach cafe (we feel obliged to help keep them running and they have re-instated the outdoor benches with greater distance between them) before heading home.
the weather cleared and the sun came out, with cloudless blue skies, at about eight in the evening.
i think the scots are being sensible with the call for face masks in shops. the screens are all well and good but i have seen at least two shops (our village and the range) where they don't really work properly.
i dream in colour with really strong, involved storylines i can even describe the clothes worn in them when i wake up.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby liketocook » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:21 am

Good morning everyone,
Dry and sunnyish here this morning.
I think we'll see local lockdowns become the norm unless we get a full second wave and everyone is included. Re-opening of everything is very gradual here which frustrates some but tbh suits me and I'm pleased that from today masks are mandatory in shops unless you are exempt. Hopefully most folk will comply.
Tesco is due in a bit and then I'm heading to the garden, I finished the veg planting yesterday so today I want to give my wall & hanging baskets a feed and tidy. Family bbq tomorrow so I'll so some prep later so there's not so much to do on the day.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:36 am

scullion wrote:i dream in colour with really strong, involved storylines i can even describe the clothes worn in them when i wake up.

Snap! I thought everyone did ... until I discovered they didn't :lol:

I've been out in the garden emptying pot saucers and picking courgettes. I've also had a quick chat with DD before she gets going for the day. Just had a quick readback ... now I'm going to prep the traybake ............ see you later ..........

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Do you think in images a lot Suffs?

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:32 pm

herbidacious wrote:Do you think in images a lot Suffs?

Oh yes ... even numbers are an image for me ... and I'm synaesthetic too, although not as much as I was ... it seemed to fade about the same time as my thyroid packed up ... but some of it has come back.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Ha maybe I can blame my dodgy thyroid for poor visualization skills?! Although I can't draw and sometimes I think if you can't express yourself in a certain way, then you become a bit stunted in that regard. My very short term memory is more auditorily orientated than visually. For example, if I play pelmanism (used to do it a lot when I was volunteering in schools) I am much better at it if I say the names of the images in my head. I can then just replay the sounds/words.

I find synethesia fascinating, but don't really understand what's involved. Do you literally see a colour when you hear a sound, see a letter etc? Or is it more that you associate a colour etc. with those things?

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 pm

I literally see a colour for some notes/tones ....... when it was strong I could make a sort of colour representation of a phrase of music or sounds ... but it's not like seeing with your eyes ... it's as if the eyes are bypassed and the colour exists in my consciousness.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Yes Moira, the B word! I am increasingly worried that it is hiding behind Covid a bit too much.

I couldn't agree more, EM :thumbsdown

Managed to get hold of our plumber today, he'd been avoiding all OH's calls as his phone recognises his number, but he answered mine today ;) I tried three times yesterday and he didn't so perhaps he got curious :lol: That trick probably won't work again :lol:

I was quite surprised, I have to renew my car insurance, and as the car's inflated value is £300, I thought I'd give 3rd party only a try. And it is a lot more expensive than fully comp! I guess it's demand and supply ... if no-one uses it the prices won't be competitive.

Woke up with a vile headache today but it's abated a bit after a couple of paracetamol. Will take some more now.

Have a good day, everyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox