Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon May 25, 2020 8:49 am

scullion wrote:i think my steam iron cost £12 from lidl, a few years ago. it doesn't get a huge amount of use unless i'm sewing.
i assume you are doing extreme ironing if you have an iron of that spec!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Morning all, sunny this morning and the wind has at last died down.

I don’t know how old my steam iron is but I had to put a plug on it :lol:. I don’t think it’ll ever need replacing as it’s only used on the very rare occasion I have to wear a proper shirt and even when I worked that was a rarity :lol: :lol:

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 am

Good Morning campers. The Sun is out the sky is blue the road is busy, probably people going to their holiday homes to self isolate there families and protect their children ;) joking apart it does seem busier than has been the norm. There were also several BBQ parties going on yesterday when the Sun came out. I could hear a Spanish guy playing guitar and singing, no not a recording, in person :o he must have been a visitor, he certainly isn't local. I think we may be in for more tonight. :roll:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:27 am

Good morning :wave :wave :wave

We are over run with Jackdaws here, and plenty of ring necked parakeets :thumbsdown The starlings have been bringing their young down to feed too.

Postby mistakened » Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am

Earlier this morning Deb saw a man who we did not recognise walking by our boundary wall into the scrubland beyond. We had a friendly conversation, he is the owner of the land checking it out. I suspect that the Village Office contacted him as all that dried out grass is a fire risk. A tractor will probably rattle up later this week to rough plough the land.
He told us that the land is for sale, I do not hold out much hope for him as there are plenty of plots with better views and access to water and electricity supplies

There have already been some major fires, very early this year, mostly up the eastern end of the island. A 600 year old olive grove, north of Nicosia has been badly damaged.

I was going to make fish pie for supper but on checking the freezer found no white fish. It will be Asparagus Pasta instead, possibly Asparagus Carbonara

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 25, 2020 10:49 am

I don't often see a jay in the garden. We had a Greater Spotted Woodpecker yesterday. Not seen one for a while. The starlings have fledged, but seem to be avoiding out garden. Pity. I'd like to take another photo like this (only improve on it):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelemf ... JaP-UuifpQ

Husband just had a call from (female) GP to see how he is (they are doing this at the moment, it would seem). He jumped up and pulled his dressing gown shut :D

I have a big gardening to do list today. I should get on with it. It will be good for me, but it's a bit daunting. At the back of my mind is that if I get bad news, I may not be able to do all this for a while, and all my hard work wil be for nothing, so I had better get going with it. Please forgive my apparent pessimism. Earlier this morning, I dragged most of the pots and tanks up the garden, lugged a few bags of compost from the front of the house round the back and took all my peppers and augberines outside. Probably ought not to put aubergines out as they've been indoors for two days, but... (I am going to.)

It's sunny out and already quite hot. It's supposed to go up to 24. I hope I am able to sit in the sun with a book at some point. I have just finished Things in Jars but Jess Kidd. I have a copy of The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow. Might see if that grabs me.

Postby Suffs » Mon May 25, 2020 11:08 am

Good morning campers :wave

An almost undisturbed and painfree night ... HURRAH :limbobanana

Herbi .. how did you get on with that Josie Kidd ... I have her two earlier books on my 'possibles' list.

Hope everyone has a good day ... I'm heading out into the garden ..............

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 25, 2020 11:22 am

So glad you had a better night Suffs.... :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 am

Morning all! :wave. Not many birds here at all - unless you count seagulls, pigeons and the odd magpie. One of the reasons I gave up on a bird feeder. There are lots round about in parks and green areas though and a joy to see and hear when out.

Was that a reflex reaction Herbi or was it one of those horrible surprise phone video calls which always happen at the most inconvenient moments? I feel sure that your hard work in the garden is worthwhile - they say you should live just for the present moment and it doesn't seem a bad idea to just enjoy your moments there (although with a garden you can't really avoid thinking a little of what you hope the end result to be!).

Thankfully no Spanish singers with guitars here. There have been some awful things in neighbouring streets shown on Facebook. We have been spared the noise of the pub garden down the road which has been lovely. I think that the publican is inviting all his noisy friends round now though :evil: - all sitting at separate tables.

Bank holiday today, I hope that some people who've been working hard will get a day off. It probably won't be those who've been working the hardest though. It's gorgeous weather which doesn't bode well for beaches, beauty spots and fast food traffic queues :roll:.

Lovely to hear that your neck/shoulder is so much better, Suffs.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am

Morning all
Hot sun at the moment

Lovely picture of the birds Herbi. I’m sure your aubergines will be ok, I couldn’t be bothered to harden off my chillies properly and just put them out in a warm spot, they are loving it, I need to pot on

We had two young male jackdaws hanging round the cemetery park on their gap year last year, they have divvied up the territory now, one has the chapel and the other displays from the chimney on top of the next door flats, a converted Victorian school. Raucous.

Good news then Suffs, take it easy and don’t set it off again. I prob ought to start doing the exercises I found for mine again

Have a good day everyone

Postby mistakened » Mon May 25, 2020 11:40 am

Do you that they would deliver a Cream Tea to Cyprushttps://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52771095

When we lived in Pissouri our place was on the side of a valley. I used to look across and watch the territorial disputes between a buzzard and a flock of hoodies.

Moira

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm

suffs :thumbsup
Herbi :newhuggy

The day has that feeling of going to be sweltering later although it's only forecast to mid-20s.

Patsy, OH has a really bad neck and shoulder, with the pain creeping up to the back of his head. I think your exercises helped Suffs, didn't they? I might have misremembered but I have a feeling you have some good exercises.

If I'm not hallucinating, please could you pm them to me? Thx.

OH is getting quite desperate. He's going to call our GP tomorrow. She does acupuncture and it may be that she's able to give him some relief. He's been told not to take his usual go-to (voltarol or naproxen, I think) as it is apparently incompatible with something else he takes on a regular basis.

Postby liketocook » Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 pm

Good afternoon,
Lots of baby starlings out and about with their Mum at the moment. I've not seen any other youngsters but there's a good few blue tits, wrens and jackdaws at the feeders. There's also unlikely "pair" of a magpie and wood pigeon that always seem to be together, they were about last year as well and it seems neither has a mate again this year so have hooked back up.
The wind has died back and it's quite warm but cloudy. It's turned quite dull but I'm hoping it doesn't rain as I want to start painting my fences and log store.

Postby Lokelani » Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Here we often see crows ganging up on buzzards. We also sometimes see a red kite.

It is getting very warm here. Anything above 20 is too hot for our liking & our husky of course. He's having to be exercised earlier & later in the day & goes off his food a bit. Wish the same could be said for me so I could lose weight more easily! :lol:

Might start trying to avoid using the oven to stop heat building up in the house, we were all a bit warm last night. Might need to replace the bbq, it pretty much collapsed at the end of last year. Probably not the cheapest time of year to be replacing it though.

Good for drying washing though. I picked a vase full of garden roses yesterday & promptly knocked it over half an hour later. The water went inside the storage coffee table it was on & dripped on several of my handmade patchwork quilts. They dried in no time at all. The roses were a bit bedraggled & plonked back in the vase crossly, rather than beautifully arranged as first time round! :lol:

Postby Suffs » Mon May 25, 2020 2:15 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:suffs :thumbsup

The day has that feeling of going to be sweltering later although it's only forecast to mid-20s.

Patsy, OH has a really bad neck and shoulder, with the pain creeping up to the back of his head. I think your exercises helped Suffs, didn't they? I might have misremembered but I have a feeling you have some good exercises.

OH is getting quite desperate. He's going to call our GP tomorrow. She does acupuncture and it may be that she's able to give him some relief. He's been told not to take his usual go-to (voltarol or naproxen, I think) as it is apparently incompatible with something else he takes on a regular basis.

Good luck to your OH ... it’s horrid getting that sort of pain.
I’m also sleeping on my back on a vey thin pillow.

I do Patsy’s exercises, gentle neck rolls and these https://www.sleepadvisor.org/shoulder-pain-at-night/ (as well as I can .., can’t do the cross legged thing so just sat straight on a stool

Postby mistakened » Mon May 25, 2020 2:39 pm

mistakened wrote:Do you that they would deliver a Cream Tea to Cyprus https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52771095

When we lived in Pissouri our place was on the side of a valley. I used to look across and watch the territorial disputes between a buzzard and a flock of hoodies.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm

These are the exercises I was doing, they are from one of the main arthritis charities, so probably safe

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-a ... nage-pain/

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Just tried to send KC2 a pm, but get the message she doesn't exist ... Help !!! :gonzo

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 25, 2020 4:04 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:suffs :thumbsup

See my message on this thread ???

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Suffs wrote:Herbi .. how did you get on with that Josie Kidd ... I have her two earlier books on my 'possibles' list.

I really really like her, as in looking forward to the next one - I am sure there will be a next one.
A few things to note without giving too much away, I hope: she has a running theme of the supernatural (or maybe it's not. That's left open to conjecture), deployed in a somewhat whimiscal way, which could be a turn off for some. Quite the opposite for me.
She has a very dark sense of humour.
There's always a nasty cruel bit, which makes them NSFM (Not safe/suitable for (my) mother) but doesn't stop me wanting to read them. i.e. not a problem. My mother is over sensitive.
Her books also always have a cracking, action-packed climax.

Sorry, will read back the other posts in a bit. I have done about 6 hours in the garden so far, excluding breaks. There are two more things I really want to do (and a dozen that need doing but which will have to wait.) I am clearly fuelled by sunshine and fear!

Postby scullion » Mon May 25, 2020 5:36 pm

i was going to post what i'd typed this morning but now the moment has passed.
the ip address was blacklisted again so i couldn't post, which is reallllly annoying.

KeenCook2 wrote: He's been told not to take his usual go-to (voltarol or naproxen, I think) as it is apparently incompatible with something else he takes on a regular basis.

they are nsaids and i don't know about voltarol but i know naproxen is in the same family as ibuprofen - which was contraindicated with the covid 19 virus a month or two back, maybe that's the reason.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox