Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby smitch » Sat May 30, 2020 10:51 pm

I always contact them for missing items even if it is just one. I tend to tweet them or post on their fb page for a quick response with minimal effort.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if things had gone missing from our orders, especially as I don't even look at the non-fridge stuff for three days...

Last Sainsburys order was missing several things I was sure I had ordered, but they were not on the order when I went to look at it online. Odd. Probably me doing something daft though.

My Waitrose order this week had an extra - carrots, which I did not order. Carrot surprise again, then, I guess. Not carrot cake with cream cheese frosting as they subbed garlic and herb cream cheese for normal... It was actually bought to make a lemon and lime cake topping (for a cake I doubtless would not have got around to making). :D I had also ordered garlic and herb Boursin which came too. They subbed barbecue HP for normal, when I already had barbecue on the list (which also came).

I don't think I ever had Ocado sub anything in the old days, but I've probably only ordered from them 6 times in the last ten years. Home delivery always used to seem so decadent... Now it's just a necessary evil.

Postby Pampy » Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 pm

herbidacious wrote: Lockdown is clearly over round here. (Feeling a bit grumpy :o )

Lockdown doesn't ever seem to have existed here. Neighbours have continued to come and go as usual, have family and friends visit all the time, continued their businesses at home with customers frequently calling round, kids from all over the place playing at the bottom of the cul-de-sac...

I'm a bit of a petrol head. I love driving and can't wait to get the roof down and go for a long drive somewhere in the countryside.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 30, 2020 11:58 pm

I've learned that things get missed from my Sainsburys click & collect orders too. You do have to check carefully. I think, as you say it is usually one bag that's missed (but 20 items seems a bit much!). Another annoying thing are the things not in stock when they get the order up which were there when you placed the final order a couple of hours previously. Good idea to try to get the refund via social media. I waited an hour in the phone queue recently to get a refund on missed items.

I know it's not funny for you Herbi but I did laugh at the replacement choice! I don't think garlic and herb will work (although it'll be nice with something else!). Some replacements are very thoughtful, others not so much.

I just looked for the space station which was supposed to be going over. I think I saw it, the sky was so clear.

People have been quite good in this neighbourhood. There are groups of noisy teenagers rampaging the streets tonight though, the girls dressed in party frocks :evil: :evil: :twisted: :cry:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:40 am

herbidacious wrote: Home delivery always used to seem so decadent... Now it's just a necessary evil.

I couldn't agree more, Herbi. And unfortunately the bigger bills that go with it!

All my friends are saying they're spending far more now than pre-covid.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 31, 2020 1:51 am

Re. Delivery:
I´d like to tell you a true story, simply to share the experience and to give you all an idea of what really happens, at least over here where everything is all skewwhiff.
I´ve got a young friend who runs a catering company. She´s very good at what she does and is a fierce perfectionist. Her food is delicious, well-prepared and always impeccable. She called me to "give her a hand" on May 5th - Mother´s Day over here, because she´d ventured into "Delivery" and this was the big test.
She had to deliver over 70 individual paellas , plus a whole load of other stuff, between 11.30am and 3pm; mostly, between 1-2pm (45 paellas).
Everything was ready for 11.30. The motor bike delivery guys filled up and buzzed off. They were back in 35 minutes; but one of the drivers got stopped by the police and never made it.
They filled up again for the 12.30 delivery - 5 minutes late - although ALL the food was ready to go well before time. One of the delivery guys was left waiting outside a house for 25 minutes, because the occupant was having a shower. (Even though she´d been informed). The other guy lost 10 minutes because the address was written badly.
Back to base - 35 minutes late on all deliveries. A lady who was expecting a delivery at 1pm called in a state of total hysteria and insulted everyone and everything within the company. This did not go down very well with the Chef, who got rather upset.
2 pm - the 1pm deliveries STILL have not been sent and the only delivery guy available has just been "released" by the stupid cops. Panic in the kitchen as the sous-chef in charge of dispatch breaks down and has to be assured by KKA that "S**t happens" and there´s nothing you can do about it.
2.05 pm - Mrs Hysterical calls again to insult everyone and ask why the F**k the pierogies weren´t cooked, because SHE could even screw up boiling water.And she´s going to DESTROY the company on social media. Wow. What a concerned customer.
2.30pm - Chef collapses in tears.
2.40pm - things are finally getting on track, even though somewhat late, but everyone who calls ( at least, 90%) is satisfied. " Best Paella I have eaten ever - and I´m from Valencia, Spain!". " Never mind that it arrived late - we loved it! It was beautifully cooked and presented".
2.10 pm - finally KKA actually thinks of something useful and sends out the chef´s boyfriend to deliver some local stuff. No petrol available, but just enough to solve the traffic jam.
4pm Close down.
4 people called to say they´d received things they hadn´t ordered, or things had arrived unexpectedly.
5 people call to say it was the best thing ever
5 pm: Chef cracks open two bottles of Prosecco, then breaks down in tears again.
So what´s the point? I can´t expect you to imagine the difficulties we´re facing here, but when a delivery starts, ANYONE can make a mistake. ANYONE, for what ever reason, maybe because they make an error of judgement, or maybe because someone else is involved, or maybe because it´s out of their hands.
Those who received an extra, or who were missing an item - called, but were very happy because the food was delicious - and that´s probably the marker, right?

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 31, 2020 6:36 am

Wonderful Kool, the greatest of luck to your chef fiend!!!

Postby mistakened » Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 am

Good Morning Campers, well done to your chef friend, KKA. I would love to sample her dishes.

It was very noisy here around 5 30am, my bedroom faces the road, I could hear lots of vehicles, it sounded like the local pick up trucks. I did not get up to check. It is not the shooters, it may have been a group going fishing, something that they have not been able to do for since the Lockdown

Moira

Postby icelesley » Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am

Good Morning campers. KKA you can't please all the people all of the time, sadly some complain just because they can, but hey your friend did good :thumbsup
The Sun is out again but at the moment it is nice and cool with a light breeze, first load of washing is about to be pegged out :D. Yesterday I could not believe my eyes, two caravans owned buy not so close neighbours were going out somewhere for the weekend. :o

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 am

I imagine a lot of our complaints seem trivial, Kool, to you. And they indeed they are... I am still very grateful to get any delivery after not being able to do so for over a month.

I am not that bothered about my odd subs. They are things I like (may get tired of herby cream cheese, but it does last a long time... usually) and at least they have not sent me meat or fish... of coconut :D I guess the thing is that these services here have been around for a long time and should run slickly, but as we know the supermarkets have had to take on lots of new staff who won't know the ropes. It's easy to get a bit peeved with some supermarkets though who seem to be only selling more expensive versions of things (although giving them the benefit of the doubt, they have probably run out of the cheaper versions) and also, in my case sending me stuff that's not fresh or which goes off quickly. But I suspect the latter is just parr for the course when you do online delivery. But either way, I don't think the supermarkets are suffering in this crisis...

I think earlier on we were generally willing to gloss over services we have paid for not being up to standard, or items being missing, or refunds not being made, but now it's the new normal, (and because some people think things are back to normal :? ) this probably isn't going to be tolerated anymore.

On a back to normal service front, I ordered some plants from Sarah Raven last week and they arrived 6 days later, yesterday :)

I couldn’t sleep last night! Possibly was too tired but also reading about lockdown relaxation I imagine as I social distancing bad dreams…. Although that may have been me wondering if I dare try to buy some compost on a shop as I am down to my last bag :o I don’t think any shop actually has any, anyway (apart from Wickes in Croydon.)
So with compost on strict rations (you can still order in bulk – some should be coming on Friday) I can’t really do a lot of what I wanted in the garden today. I could weed of course… Might go out for a short drive with my camera if the chauffeur is willing!
We can’t do nice drives in the country per se that are doable. We are on the doorstep of Kent’ countryside’ but it’s more rural-looking suburbia than proper countryside, and full of cars, so traffic jams and standoffs with stupidly big cars trying to pass on narrow roads. Still nicer than Sydenham though!

Looks nice out again.

Postby scullion » Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a bit of a breeze.
there's a petition on change.org to remove dc. when i looked at it last night there were well over a million signatures.

see you soon.jpg
see you soon.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 5589 times

(from the friend working on a covid ward).

bit of sewing to do, still working on the overlocker (not having a specific service manual doesn't help but i've downloaded the closest i can find) and a bit of exercise - and maybe a bit of watering (things are getting enough to stay alive but maybe not enough to flourish as much as they could in this weather).
i picked a couple of strawberries from the farm (sneakily) the other day - they were gorgeous, really tasty. i don't know what breed they were but i want some of those plants (i will check for runners later in the year).
the archers is on - i'm not enamoured of this version, i'm sure there's a better way of doing it, like having phone conversations - i would prefer to listen to some really old episodes from right at the beginning of it's broadcasting more than these.
have a lovely day, everyone.

Postby Suffs » Sun May 31, 2020 11:52 am

Good morning campers :wave
Scully I was drying my hair as the Archers came on ... was that a hurdy-gurdy I heard ? Love a hurdy-gurdy :thumbsup a dear late friend was a harpsichord, lute and hurdy-gurdy maker/restorer and his workshop was opposite my house back in the seventies so the sound of him playing them would drift over during the day. He was a single dad so he brought his son to play with mine while he worked. Memories 8-)

Tomatoes go into their big pots or the veg patch today ... squashes and zucchini too. Better get out there ...

Have a good day all.
Last edited by Suffs on Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 am

miss mouse wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote: Isn't it lovely to be able to drive out a little bit more!

I don't get this 'driving' thing. Why is sitting in a metal box so wonderful? I hate being driven anywhere.

I think the difference is 'Driving out' and 'Being driven ' . ;) I also like to be able to drive out, but am not a very good passenger :(

Good morning everyone .. :wave Went to bed last night for 9 pm to watch 'The Young Montalbano' hoping that would keep me going until 11, however, I still just can't get into this Sicilian Detective, so channel hopped, dozed off, woke up just after midnight and found Rock'n'Roll America, that kept me going until 1 am .. then 5USA until 2 am, when I eventually felt ready to drop off...I woke up at 8 am, so I STILL only got 6 hours sleep. :cry: :roll:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 pm

I can't get into him either Pat yet my best chum thinks it's wonderful.

Herbi, our big supermarkets all have potting compost. It's plants that are tricky round here. Since the arrival of all my dead stuff from T&M I still have three empty hanging baskets . . . .

Just had the car washed! Felt like quite an outing as I had to go to Rickmansworth to get it done. The two local ones are run by Rumanians and have not reopened. My Rumanian cleaner tells me many of them have gone back home until this is over as they think it is safer.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Morning all! :wave

I do admire those anywhere in the world who have tried to keep going through these times. There is a family run chip/Chinese food shop near me who opened for phone & collect quite soon after lockdown. They hadn't anticipated the volume of calls they'd get and have really struggled! It has been and is hugely popular even now places who deliver have upped their game and drive-throughs are open I am pleased for them.

I don't really see that getting rid of DC matters now. It would be shutting the stable door long after the horse had bolted. It would be very interesting to know who would step into his shoes. I think the subject of the sudden speed of lockdown release and clarity with future messages is more of a concern. Andrew Marr was right on form this morning with an excellent interview with Prof. Peter Openshaw from Imperial College followed by one with Dominic Rabb. I liked the contrast.

Off to have my walk before the sun gets too hot. I see from social media that the standing queue outside B&Q this morning is rather long, it's just by the sewage works on a hot day so must be lovely. Our out of town M&S Food sells bags of compost (at a price!).

Postby mistakened » Sun May 31, 2020 12:21 pm

I had to go down to the bank to use the ATM, no queues on a Sunday morning. The cars were streaming up the hill, probably going up the mountains for lunch.

More problems caused by Covid. Our young friend Hari, Effie's youngest is at the Merchant Navy College in Chania, Crete. The college is closed but reopens to allow Hari and others to take their exams. Until the Lockdown Hari would take a Ryan Air flight from Paphos to either Heraklion or Chania, easy and v cheap in winter. To return to Chania next week, Hari has to fly from Larnaca to Athens then catch a ferry from Piraeus to Crete.
At present there is only one passenger flight a day out of Larnaca, the Cyprus Airways route to Athens.

Moira
Edited to add that a shark has been seen off Ladies Mile Beach, Limassol. The video shows it to be a Mako Shark, endangered in the Med. It does not eat people but is causing all sorts of alarm :o

Postby aero280 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:42 pm

A good friend of mine is self isolating in West London. His partner is self isolating at home in Germany. They speak on the phone at least twice a day. The Germans relaxed the lockdown a bit earlier that us. The partner is very OCD. All through lockdown she was bemoaning the fact that her hair was a mess. Once the rules were relaxed, she became even more annoyed that her hairdresser was fully booked and she had to wait a week for an appointment! :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 31, 2020 12:44 pm

I don't really see that getting rid of DC matters now. It would be shutting the stable door long after the horse had bolted

That's the attitude he wants us to take, so I refuse to take it.

I could take my exercise by going and joining the mob outside his house I suppose, I know roughly where it is (Hackney/Islington borders, press have some reported one borough adn some the other but it is Hackney)
This is just an awful mess, and while I'm not normally a vindictive person he is largely responsible and the more he is punished the better as far as I am concerned

I am going to finish a bit of ironing then go out. I am very tempted to exercise via the gelateria but the queue may put me off

Have a good day everyone

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I don't really see that getting rid of DC matters now. It would be shutting the stable door long after the horse had bolted

Have a good day everyone

Absolutely, Sue. I couldn't agree with you more!

Edited to add, belated Good Morning everyone :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sun May 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:

Me too, Sue :thumbsup

KK - it must have been a nightmare for your chef friend.
From the other side of the coin though... I ordered a takeaway from a recently opened Spanish restaurant. Expensive but worth it, I thought if the food was good. Wrong! It was absolutely dire and the majority of it was actually inedible. As it was a new venture, I didn't want to put a negative review on the Just Eat website that I'd ordered it from so I sent a private message through their very active FB account. After not receiving a reply after 3 days, I messaged again asking for a response. I then had a reply asking me to confirm what the problem was - even though I had been very detailed in my original message. I repeated the issue and that was it - not a peep from them since. After waiting another few days, I'm afraid that my patience was exhausted and they now have a bad public review.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox