Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Suffs » Sat May 30, 2020 9:13 am

Good morning campers :wave

It’s a beautiful morning ... yesterday afternoon we came home from our trip out to a farm shop via the village where Alfred Munnings grew up ... its close to where I used to live but for some reason I’d not taken OH there at this time of year ... riverside meadows full of tall golden buttercups and toffee coloured cows and their small calves, grazing in the sunshine ... a real life ‘Munnings’ ... my favourite British painter :D

I was so tired last night that I went to bed at just after 8 and slept for 9 hours!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 am

Morning all! :wave

That sounds absolutely gorgeous, Suffs. Isn't it lovely to be able to drive out a little bit more!

Another lovely day, I see that it has been the driest May for at least 124 years :o.

I met GD and her ma for a (socially distant) walk yesterday evening. We went to a local 'country park' which has only been developed over the past 20 or so years to serve a large complex of housing estates built during that period. I can remember when it was all overgrown before that and it hasn't looked very nice from the road. We were astounded to find a beautiful lake full of water birds, people fishing, paths for cycling, happy families dotted about, an assortment of woodland or country walks and more. An absolute revelation not far from where either of us lives! We are very lucky here with such amenities really but to find a new one is lovely.

Today I plan to make a sticky ginger cake like wot my granny used to. She always used to drizzle it with icing and decorate with cocktail umbrellas :?. I'll probably pass on that bit.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 am

Morning. It's taking me a while to get going this morning. I didn't wake till 9am. Still catching up on sleep from earlier in the week, I think. I was awake for an hour straddling the dawn though.

Gorgeous out here. I need to get going with gardening things. Lots of pot on and some to prick out. I'd like to sow some more herbs and possible beans and peas too.

Had issues with my mother yesterday. She was full of resentment and saying things like she was never going to see me again and I wouldn't go and stay with her because I hate staying in the house. Now it's true that I hate staying in the house, but of course this has never stopped me doing so as the (seemingly) relentless, mental and physical health sapping monthly visits prove - and it won't stop me again when I can go. Of course this is not what I said. We have already had a conversation about us going up as soon as we can and staying somewhere else as not keen to stay there for H&S reasons. (Constant influx of ever-changing carers is a risk imo. She made that noise she makes when she disagrees but is not going to say so outright.) She says she doesn't remember this conversation. She also claimed she had never used the internet in her life... :?

So I did wonder if there was a urine infection at play here and phoned the care agency. She seemed better in the evening (we spoke 5 times yesterday... she thinks because I am at home, even though I am working, this is ok :? ), but her voice is dull. She might just be depressed and deteriorating, but the sullen, resentful meanness is consonant with other occasions when she has had a urine infection. Ironic that I always get it in the neck when this happens, but not surprising I suppose. We hurt those we can afford to - whom we know will forgive us. Or maybe it's something else. It still upset me.

Anyway. Got that off my chest. Sorry!

We are having another Creditcardgate here too this morning, in spite of me reminding OH that I have paid for all the food and household stuff on it plus the same for my mother.

I think I need to go out and do some calming gardening.

Postby Seatallan » Sat May 30, 2020 11:57 am

Herbi, I think a bit of calming gardening would be an excellent idea. It does sound rather like your mother has another infection doesn't it? I remember my father was most odd when in the grips of one.

Another lovely day. I'm beginning to feel like we've moved to the Caribbean rather than Cumbria!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Sat May 30, 2020 12:13 pm

good morning, all.
sunny and a bit breezy.
you are not alone, herbi. i was never good enough for my mother from young - even without infections.
among other things, in her latter years, i was acused/blamed for things disappearing even though i hadn't been there for months and hadn't taken or thrown away anything then(i don't think the carers were ever blamed even though i knew some things had 'gone', after her death). in her words - we can choose our friends...
nothing planned other than trying to fix the overlocker. the part arrived yesterday and i have to reposition it so the timing and some very fine measurements are right. i would help if i had a service gauge! it may take me some hours - of which i have ample at the moment!
i think cake will be made today - we have more than enough bread.
have another glorious day, everyone.

Postby mistakened » Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Oh, Herbi, on top of your other recent worries.

I have just been reading about a fire in one of the Pissouri Tavernas, the Vine Leaf. It seems to have been something electrical. Having been there and seen some of their dodgy wiring, I would not be at all surprised.

Moira

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat May 30, 2020 12:30 pm

herbidacious wrote:Morning. It's taking me a while to get going this morning. I didn't wake till 9am. Still catching up on sleep from earlier in the week, I think. I was awake for an hour straddling the dawn though.

I think I need to go out and do some calming gardening.

I have never understood how to catch up on lost sleep. :? However tired I am I wake up usually between 6 and 6.30 am. by 11 am I am drained and so tired I feel like going back to bed, but know I would never drop off to sleep. If I try to have an early night, then I am awake even earlier :roll: For the last 2 weeks I have fallen asleep before the end of Gardeners World...Good job it is repeated on Sunday morning ;) :thumbsup

Sorry to hear about the ongoing problems with your Mum. :( It must be so draining and frustrating as you can really do nothing about it :newhuggy

Postby halfateabag » Sat May 30, 2020 1:16 pm

My sleep patterns change with the years and the seasons...... Used to be able to sleep for the world..... ATM I am awake between 4 and 5am (I wake up before the cats !). So by 2pm I am shattered and need a snooze.... I am still sleepy by 10pm but will go to bed around 9pm and relax and rest my back and hips.

Hot and sunny here, drive has been weeded and now a few barrows of wood being chopped up for the winter. I picked up some lean steak so have used half in a marinade ready for beef satay another day. I will make a beef and bacon something as I like the marriage....

I have a top that needs making smaller so may do that in the heat of the day.

Keep cool and safe everyone

Postby liketocook » Sat May 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Good afternoon,
Big :newhuggy :newhuggy to all going through sad or difficult times.
It's gloriously sunny and warm day here, my Greek DIL-to-be is loving the hot weather.
I've temporarily been banned from my back garden, I'm safely supervising from the deck while the "kids" paint the fences and move heavy stuff about for me. It's a big enough space that they can all work away without breaching social distancing. It's amazing how much three young, fit adults can get done in a short period of time. :D

Postby icelesley » Sat May 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Afternoon Campers. It is hot, hot, hot. Currently 26C :o I have just filled the water butts ready for the pending hosepipe ban :roll: The council haven't said when it will be but the mention of it at all means its looming.

Postby miss mouse » Sat May 30, 2020 6:22 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: Isn't it lovely to be able to drive out a little bit more!

I don't get this 'driving' thing. Why is sitting in a metal box so wonderful? I hate being driven anywhere.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 30, 2020 6:40 pm

I love driving. I think I might have been Mr Toad in a previous life.

Parp parp.

Postby scullion » Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 pm

i, too, love driving. it is the feeling of freedom and not being trapped in one place - distant romaroots!

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 pm

I usually find if that if I have 3 nights of 3-4 hours in a row, I sleep ok on the 4th night. I don't usually 'over sleep' though (especially not with the cats wanting to go oout and be fed from 6am, onwards), but it maybe because I was awake from 4-ish-5amish this morning.

I rang my mother at lunch time today and she seemed ok, so I guess she was just being horrid! But I am monitoring it, as much as I can by phone.

I have done about 6 hours in the garden to day plus hoovering, laundry and kitchen tidying and even making husband's lunch! Exhausted now. I will not be making dinner, which either means no dinner or a baked bean supper :? OH has... mown the tiny (car-sized) front lawn and passed me a hosepipe so I could fill the tomato tanks on the balcony...

Neighbours have had guests over all afternoon, again, and are now barbecuing. Again. (= have to shut sitting room doors.) Lockdown is clearly over round here. (Feeling a bit grumpy :o )

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 pm

herbidacious wrote:I have done about 6 hours in the garden to day plus hoovering, laundry and kitchen tidying and even making husband's lunch!

Zeez what are on ?!?! I need a vat of it right now...……………!!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I love driving. I think I might have been Mr Toad in a previous life.

Parp parp.

:lol: :lol:. Sorry PP, a bit insensitive of me - I assume you can't go out yet :newhuggy.

Miss Mouse, I do enjoy driving for pleasure and feel just as PP describes when I'm off to somewhere nice (not sitting in a suburban traffic jam obviously). After weeks of walking round the same streets and parks it is a total delight to be allowed to drive into the countryside with the sun shining and window wound down, to see the downs and to walk somewhere different.

I like catching up on missed sleep a couple of times a week too! I'm trying to train myself to keep sociable hours and have enough sleep every night but it's soooooo hard!

I hope you're tired enough to sleep tonight Herbi!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Herbi, sorry to hear your mum can be so difficult :newhuggy
We've been fortunate on that front, as OH's mum was in New York and just had to get on with things until she couldn't any more and went to a home, and mine died in her 70s before things became difficult.

And yes, we sympathise with the neighbours' BBQ ... it's happening at the moment! As we are in terraced houses with 25ft gardens it's impossible to get away from!

Tesco delivery just arrived. Got the s-r flour but no eggs, "sleepy" tea or single cream!

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Dunno Lusciouslush. Sunshine? Stamina? Not food, that's for sure. I am now finding it physically hard to walk though :? :D I hope I am not too tired to sleep. (It happens.) It's interesting though, as i usually suffer from chronic fatigue. Stress of commute and beign in the office uses up all my energy? I am usually ok on sunny holidays too. Maybe it's a vit D thing. I don't think it's psychological.

I found a cauliflower cheese ready made thingy from Watirose I'd forgotten about. Yipee! I've added creamed horseradish.

Em, I really enjoyed my little trips out in the car last weekend too. Hoping to do another tomorrow. Maybe another churchyard. Not too many people to dodge in those, usually :?

KC2 I often wonder if, had I met her when she was young, whether I would have liked her. But I suppose my father did, so I might have. I always got on better with him. But my mother has got worse as I fear we all do as we get older. She is no longer ther person she was 10 or 15 years ago. MIL isn't easy either but she's not very interested in us at the moment. I reckon she will disinherit husband at some point. She is going a bit strange. (She has made a big thing of setting up her will so that her other daughter-in-law will get nothng if other son dies first, to ensure that it all goes to her grandson... who will probably need his mother to have something, but there you go...)

Postby Busybee » Sat May 30, 2020 9:48 pm

I’ve just had a Tesco delivery, last week we did click and collect.

When we got home and unpacked everything OH commented that I hadn’t ordered any apples ( I had), it prompted me to check everything and found I was 20 items light, 25% of the order. Mostly bread and fruit and vegetables- easy to see that one crate had been missed.

Rang up and they credited me with the items, but it was rather annoying as we had to do without some basics including potatoes, but we haven’t starved.

Tonight’s delivery was being sorted and put away, no potatoes again. This prompted me to check my receipt and it looks like it’s just the spuds short.

I’ve never bothered checking my receipts etc before, does anyone? I wonder if it’s usual for an item to be missed or if we have just been unlucky? I suppose I’ll have to ring them tomorrow, to be honest I don’t know if I can be bothered for one item, it seems a bit petty tbh.

Anyway, another week without spuds won’t kill us.

BB

Postby Busybee » Sat May 30, 2020 9:57 pm

Just got around to reading the papers, Seatallen’s chippy is mentioned in The Telegraph.

Shap Chippy and it’s mobile van, phone app, click and collect and cashless systems. All that and great chips to boot!

BB

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox