Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:05 am

good morning, all.
sunny with less breeze than the past couple of days. bread baking.
i will be so pleased when the two lots of lodgers have fledged - they are noisy squabbling brats at the best of times without adding in the 'feed me, feed me' squawking.
i'm having a drop of pre-cuts today, all of the bits that have needed overlocking will have been done so i can just get on and do the sewing together.
i still need to file a few thou off the replacement bit for my overlocker. it takes an inordinate amount of time filing, cleaning off the swarfe, measuring, refitting and checking the position and then repeating.
i also have a few masks to make for upcountry young. busy day!
have a great day, everyone.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:08 am

I've just heard a very sad little tale of a chameleon who couldn't change colour. He had a reptile dysfunction.

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am

hahahaha - good one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:14 am

Nice one Gruney!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:16 am

happy belated birthday, Grassy.

I am new to flower gardening and unsure of spacing, so not sure if I need bedding or not... Everything's a bit gappy at the moment. I do struggle to believe that something really has a two foot spread, but trying hard to do so.

I have given away a lot of veg plants - tomatoes and aubergines. More than I intended to, and some of the tomato plants on order still haven't arrived. I have a lot of chilli seedlings which I will give away too if anyone wants them, but they are grown from F1 fruit, so a bit of a pot luck thing. I am v pissed off about that toms I ordered in Feb which have still not come. It's unlikely I will get much a crop from them if, when they do arrive, they are a couple of inches high as the only lot I've received from Marshalls so far were. (They are still only about 7 inches tall now. The rest of my tomatoes are about 3ft now with fruit, which I know is quite early.) Eek and I just noticed white spots on the leaves... I hope that's a sun thing. I would be devastated if I lost my crop this year.
I pricked out the few calendula I grew from seed on Saturday. One is not going to make it. I guess I can still sow more. I have some on order from T&M but hearing bad things about them, so shall see. I have a so far healthy lot (er about 20) of basil plants in pots. They need potting on. I received a load of herb seeds last week so will be having a go at various basils and nasturtiums. I shall sow more judiciously this time. I thought I'd try out some of those Jiffy peat plugs.
On no I slipped into garden bore mode again :(
I had better get on with some work.

P.s had a nice drive yesterday down to Brasted and Sundridge. Lovely walk beyond Sundridge church. Brasted is idyllic… apart from the roar of the M25. People must have wept when they built it.

p.p.s My inosaur book finally arrived.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:51 am

Gruney2 wrote:I've just heard a very sad little tale of a chameleon who couldn't change colour. He had a reptile dysfunction.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Morning all!

Happy belated birthday Grassy :birthday-dancer

Hot, hot, hot again here. No doubt next door will BBQ again. Must put my mind to finishing my book for virtual book group on Thursday evening, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. Kindle says I've got 1hr 32mins left ... am at 70% ...

Glad to hear that, Herbi ...
herbidacious wrote:p.p.s My inosaur book finally arrived.
:lol: :lol:

Have a good day, everyone! Hope OH is ok back at work, Suffs, and things don't get too crowded there ....

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 pm

Gruney2 wrote:I've just heard a very sad little tale of a chameleon who couldn't change colour. He had a reptile dysfunction.

That explains what happened to our Chameleon :o

Back from Paphos via Pissouri, I have not been to either destination since the beginning of March. I have missed a lot of spring flowers including the bank of yellow or white Turban Buttercups opposite the slip road from the main highway. The car has been cleaned inside and out at the carwash. I had coffee and a bacon roll whilst it was done. I was hoping to see someone that I know in the café attached to the carwash. it is a great centre for gossip, mainly to check if anyone had information about various groups restarting but no luck.
The chief reason for going to Paphos was to pay for our TV reception. Having enquired about every ones health plus how many books we had read, I commented that it was lucky that I had paid three months fees in advance. It would have been alright, they did not cut off any of their regular clients, they phoned to check that they were a)OK b) on the island then asked the client to come ASAP after the lock down was lifted

Suffs wrote:and OH's shop is all inside with air con

During the very hot weather two weeks ago there were a number of admissions to Paphos General of elderly British people with heat stroke, they had heard a rumour that the Covid virus lurked in air con systems so would not use their A/C

Moira

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Good morning everyone,
Belated Happy Birthday Grassy :blowing-birthday-cake
Local mayhem here on the roads - the waste/recycling centre opened at 10am this morning and apparently a queue started just before 8am basically clogging up what is one of the busiest roads in the area!! Much as I have a load of stuff needing dumped from the garden it can wait until the rush dies back in a few days. I think folk didn't fancy waiting in the heat so thought they'd go there early...…….. I feel sorry for the staff there, I can imagine there will be a stream of hot and grumpy folk to deal with.....
It's another scorcher here today but there's a slight breeze so it feels more pleasant, I'm just off to do an hour in the garden before it gets too hot and I'll do more later when the sun goes over a bit. My son is going fishing again when he finishes work meaning we'll eat late so I'll have plenty of time to potter about outdoors before we sort out dinner.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Yes Moira ... OH is going to try to turn the Air Con off and fix the automatic doors to stay open ... if he's allowed to ... but if he's in charge today who's going to know ... :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 pm

liketocook wrote:Local mayhem here on the roads - the waste/recycling centre opened at 10am this morning and apparently a queue started just before 8am basically clogging up what is one of the busiest roads in the area!! Much as I have a load of stuff needing dumped from the garden it can wait until the rush dies back in a few days. I think folk didn't fancy waiting in the heat so thought they'd go there early...…….. I feel sorry for the staff there, I can imagine there will be a stream of hot and grumpy folk to deal with.....

The waste/recycling centres where I live have just opened - but you have to make an appointment before you can go. I have some stuff that i need to get rid of but I think I'll wait awhile.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:59 pm

Air con is surely a potential problem in shops etc where there are many people coming and going and (possibly) shedding their viruses into the system, but it shouldn't be a problem with domestic air con which is in isolation together with the rest of the household should it?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Ha! More great planning Suffs! :roll:. I hope their circulation from open doors works well. That said, a lot of places where work has not stopped (thinking of my old job for instance where they have been divided between 3 locations which rely on air-con as windows are non-existent or sealed) have had air-con running throughout. I suppose it affects a smaller number of people than anywhere open to the public.

Nice joke Gruney :lol:.

Sounds a lovely outing, Herbi. I love it round there.

Our tip opened with a strict pre-book scheme. Everyone says it's working really well with minimal queuing. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it going in the future. I'm wondering how charity shops are going to cope when they eventually reopen. Nearly everyone has had a turnout of some sort, they'll be inundated if everyone takes stuff at once. Despite huge notices begging people not to leave things outside shops, each time I pass one someone has left a pile of stuff outside. I suppose they are just desperate to get it out of the house and don't care.

Talking of fishing, I've noticed that since restrictions lifted, almost every fishing platform at various local lakes has been taken up with groups of youths who frankly, don't look as though they had any interest in fishing before lockdown and have begged, stolen or borrowed the minimum equipment required. Apart from some yesterday who'd brought a boom box with them, they're not doing any harm to anyone else, might be smoking the odd naughty thing but look glad to be out of the house. Quite a positive thing I think. Even the hardened anglers dont seem to mind.

Postby dennispc » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 pm

A bit late, but .....Cummings. Civil servant with no mandate, makes important decisions as he wants change. Takes sick leave without informing the boss nor Deputy. Last year he was guilty of contempt of Parliament.

There hasn’t been enough fuss.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Ours is only open by appointment too, Pampy.

I can imagine it works better than the normal system. But you have to book over a month in advance...

Dinosaur book in case anyone is interested:

IMG_2034.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2035.jpg

It's about a metre long!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:31 pm

I went to our local tip this morning. It's been open for two weeks on a Postcode basis. It's huge (but Harrow is very densely populated). I got there at 9, no queue at all. Big BUT though. You chucked everything over the edge no recycling at all.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:43 pm

dennispc wrote:A bit late, but .....Cummings. Civil servant with no mandate, makes important decisions as he wants change. Takes sick leave without informing the boss nor Deputy. Last year he was guilty of contempt of Parliament.

There hasn’t been enough fuss.

Whilst he is an obnoxious creature, he has done these things because he has been allowed to over a considerable period of time. Not enough is being said about those in a position of authority who have blatently allowed these things to happen.

When the crunch really comes, all those responsible should be held accountable as well. Just sacking him does nothing to change the root cause. I agree there hasn't been enough fuss about that and the fact it could be repeated.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm

herbidacious wrote:
Dinosaur book in case anyone is interested:

It's about a metre long!

Looks fab, Herbi :clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:52 pm

The dino book looks great. Ideal for my nephew's son but out of stock on Amazon unfortunately.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Like your fishing lads Earthmaiden i remember seeing a pair of them sneaking off to the wetlands for a sneaky cigarette :thumbsdown , but doing some very well-informed bird watching while they were there :thumbsup

I am pleased with myself, I am clearing up the spare room aka study and I found two glass covers for light fittings that I had removed a couple of months ago to replace the bulbs, and not feeling very well then I hadn't succeeded in replacing them. As I feel fine today and of course there is good natural light to work by I had another go, and fitted both without drama even freeing up the rusted screw on the bathroom one :)

Nice dinos Herbi!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox