Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby scullion » Mon May 18, 2020 12:09 pm

good morning, all.
sunny.
my partner is on a zoom conference call - in the garden.
i haven't been out there yet - i don't want to be seen going past every couple of minutes!
we had a tesco delivery last night it was obviously picked by a man (sorry) or someone who is less attentive than the last picker. i had ordered bunch of coriander; what arrived was a bunch of flat leaved parsley - ok i suppose - if i didn't have a bed full of flat leaved parsley and didn't need coriander. i also got a half a cabbage rather than a whole one - annoying, as i'll have to make some room in the fridge. white cabbages store ok if not cut. i think i may get in touch with tesco. possibly a little petty - they're under a lot of pressure!
machine was pampered - better go and use it.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby scullion » Mon May 18, 2020 12:15 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:. Any suggestions of what I could use please.

try some clothes pegs to see what sort of weight you would need before buying anything else so you don't over or under do it - and to get an idea if they would annoy by clanking on the window.

Postby liketocook » Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Good morning everyone,
Tesco allows you to brief add notes for pickers under individual items in your basket in addition to the sub/no sub option. You can't specify a particular alternative but it is useful. I use it quite a lot and find it works well.
The weather is still pretty grotty but not as wild as yesterday which felt as though winter had returned. I ended up popping the heating on mid afternoon as it was so damp & chilly.
Oh my the Jerusalem artichokes were gorgeous and the after effects worth it ;) . We might head to the farm shop on Saturday and see if they still have them in stock.
There's plenty of pork left for tonight so my son is going to make some veg fried rice to go with it while I take part in an online meeting of the out of school club committee.

Postby Uschi » Mon May 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Guten Tag! I hope that you are all well.
I have a round of greenfly-extermination to do on the balcony. They got into the chives of all things. I will dip the lot in soap water.

Debbie, you can always sew small wooden rails/rods into the fly-curtains.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Uschi wrote:Guten Tag! I hope that you are all well.
I have a round of greenfly-extermination to do on the balcony. They got into the chives of all things. I will dip the lot in soap water.

Arghh, Uschi, what a bore! My chives in a pot were decimated by blackfly for the last 2 years so I've given up on them!

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 18, 2020 1:37 pm

My philadelphus is covered in black aphids, as per usual. Peppers and aubergines are afflicted with little green aphids. I have put them outside. It might help. Or they may get black aphids. There is a lot of greenfly about.

I have been sent my hospital appointment at the breast clinic. I am afraid I feel sick with fear. But I suppose it will ebb as the day goes on.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:40 pm

herbidacious wrote:
I have been sent my hospital appointment at the breast clinic. I am afraid I feel sick with fear. But I suppose it will ebb as the day goes on.

:newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Thank you all for your curtain weight suggestions. I shall have a look to see what I can find.

EM, we always have one on our back door come the summer, they work really well and we wouldn't be without. Ours is on the outside so we're not so fussy. Daughter's is inside so we got one with plastic top and side rails rather than velcro fitting, the net can be cut to fit once in place and happy with the fit, to look a bit nicer.

Postby Pampy » Mon May 18, 2020 2:19 pm

:crossed :crossed :crossed Herbi :newhuggy :newhuggy

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:21 pm

As Cherrytree says, grey and damp here in Cumbria today though looks like it is beginning to clear. Garden could really do with some proper rain. We're forcasted to get some tonight and a few showers later in the week but it has been (and looks like remaining) distinctly un-Cumbrian! :D

EM, there deffo seems to be a run on black treacle. Our neighbours (the elderly ones we're shopping for) wanted some and we couldn't get it for love nor money. In the end we managed to find them some organic molasses which apparently did the trick.

Re mint, I have apple mint and spearmint in the garden along with some strawberry mint which was in a pot last year (and came with us when we moved) and cat mint. I do love herbs. In addition to the mint I currently have two varieties of rosemary, lovage, lavendar, origano, marjoram, feverfew, fennel, thyme, bay and parsley. If the weather stays fine I shall purchase some basil soon. I'd love to grow tarragon but have never had much luck with it. May try again sometime.

Suffs, glad you seem to be on the mend..... :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Rev Richard Coles tweeted that he couldn’t get treacle last week!

We have a lovage Bush. It smells divine. My elderly gardener wanted to dig it up last week because he thought it was a weed. :o He knows what it is now. Once it’s past its best it tends to attract snails however.

Postby icelesley » Mon May 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Good Afternoon Campers. I have watered the garden and the greenhouse now it looks like it is going to rain ...... sod's law in action :roll: But, I have planted my tomato plants in the greenhouse and beautiful they look too if I do say so myself :D

Postby mistakened » Mon May 18, 2020 3:16 pm

We have water, presumably the spare part was easily obtainable

There are troughs and/or pots of parsley and culinary basil by the back door, local mint, Vietnamese sage. lemon grass, rosemary, oregano and a bay tree in the garden. For some reason we do not seem to be able to grow thyme

Moira

Postby oat » Mon May 18, 2020 3:30 pm

I have been sent my hospital appointment at the breast clinic. I am afraid I feel sick with fear. But I suppose it will ebb as the day goes on.[/quote]

Thinking of you Herbi :newhuggy

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Herbi :newhuggy. You must tell us when the appointment is so that we can all squeeze into your handbag. A problem shared and all that .. it may feel nice to be able to discuss it properly.

It would be nice if some ladybirds found your garden.

The piece of tape with which is supposed to hold my thumb straight has arrived from the hospital. The instructions say it must be worn at all times but removed for hand washing. In the half hour which followed my reading the letter I washed my hands 6 times :roll:. I will examine the instructions more carefully tonight.

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you. It's Tuesday 26th at 1.40pm.

Oh gosh. I suppose hand washing has gone up in frequency in current times, but I know I wash mine a lot when I am at home anyway.

I was wondering if I could send off for some ladybirds... (at the risk of more sardonic comments on the arrival of 'yet more' parcels.) We do have the same problem every year. Seriously considering gettiing rid of the philadelphus. It does provide a bit of a wind break though.

It's this level of badness. I don't know if they are the same ones that attack broad beans. My broad beans are 100ft away at the bottom of the garden.

IMG_1524.jpg

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm

I have shampooed my chives - they were smothered in blackfly, annoying as I went through the pot last week, removed some weeds and dead bits, and there wasn’t a sign of them then

Postby mistakened » Mon May 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have shampooed my chives

Perhaps they need a blow dry as well :roll: Sorry ;)

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Leaving the weather to do that Moira!

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 18, 2020 4:45 pm

I think the philadelphus situation is beyond spraying, really...

I have ordered some ladybird larvae, although possibly not enough. Might be fun. Might be a waste of money. Plan B will be Castile soap solution.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox