Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Lokelani » Sun May 17, 2020 7:47 pm

I wonder if that is Chocolate Mint? It's described on this website & having brown/purplish leaves.

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Min ... late-Mint/

I really struggle to grow mint in my garden bizarrely. For years every type I tried ended up diseased & too unpleasant looking to eat! I finally got one to grow in a large pot, but it's nothing like Mum's garden mint. It has very large more rounded leaves & they are very furry at the back with a soft white downy texture. It does smell & taste exactly like mint though.

What is the best one to buy if I want to try again for culinary mint? Garden mint?

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 17, 2020 7:47 pm

sorry crossed posts Sue

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 pm

EM, Tesco has a similar system to the one Chinch mentioned - when you check out you can choose "no substitutions" and then go through and tick the items you're prepared to accept substitutions for.
It depends how badly you need whatever it is! I allowed subs for eggs - ie if they didn't have the box of 15 I'd have been happy with 2 x 6 rather than not get any eggs at all.
There's also a space for "Notes for the picker". The example they give is "please pick ripe avocados", so I'm assuming it would be possible to say "if no wholewheat flour, spelt please".

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Lokelani wrote:I wonder if that is Chocolate Mint? …

What is the best one to buy if I want to try again for culinary mint? Garden mint?

Chocolate mint a distinct possibility I think :thumbsup

I tried many mints and wasn’t that impressed, and then I bought a little garden mint in a cup sized pot from Morrison’s, and it was so nice I potted it up

I now have two terracotta pots of it, two because mint dislikes being pot bound and it’s a good idea to split it and discard half at least every 2 years probably better annually, and I can use one while the other regrows

My neighbour took the last discard

Postby Suffs » Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm

Sounds as if you have Apple Mint Lokelani. The connoisseur’s choice for mint sauce and jelly ... I grow Apple Mint and Spearmint but I much prefer Applemint.

They’re hungry plants so give yours some fertiliser and plenty of water and keep the soil moist. They’re plants of riversides and water meadows in the wild.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 17, 2020 9:14 pm

I'm starting a new job on Friday, 12 hours per week for 4 months, nothing too taxing.
However, I haven't used my hairdryer or worn makeup for 8 weeks.
I am completely out of practice and will probably resemble Crystal Tipps in clown makeup.

Scary thought.

Postby Grasshopper » Sun May 17, 2020 10:05 pm

We have mint in the garden. It has to be constrained (it's in one of the border areas), otherwise it would gallop everywhere.
There is a compost bin nearby, so it is constantly getting fed.
:D
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Busybee » Sun May 17, 2020 11:26 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I'm starting a new job on Friday, 12 hours per week for 4 months, nothing too taxing.
However, I haven't used my hairdryer or worn makeup for 8 weeks.
I am completely out of practice and will probably resemble Crystal Tipps in clown makeup.

Scary thought.

Congratulations, don’t worry about your hair and makeup, everyone’s in the same boat.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 1:08 am

ChinchillaLady wrote:Afternoon All

EM you can ask Sainsbugs not to send subs, after you checkout but before you pay there is a box for preferences, you can go through it and uncheck the items you dont want a sub for. Hope this helps.

Thanks Chinch. I do use that but it sounds as though Tesco also have a section where you can write a note as well - that would be useful as you could specify an alternative (eg. any flavour will be fine except orange or please note the substitute must be gluten free etc).

Its hard to imagine getting dolled up properly now! I wonder if a natural look and zebra hair will stay in vogue for a good while.

Postby mistakened » Mon May 18, 2020 7:12 am

Good Morning Campers, it is 29 C at 8 00 :o
No water, it did come on briefly yesterday evening which I hope topped up our water tanks. I could go up to the Village Office and ask what is happening but all I will get is a shoulder shrug. There is an SMS system where the village contacts you about problems but the person who is contacted is our landlady, she does not pass on the message.

Moira

Edited to add that someone has posted a video on local social media of an attempt to cook an egg on the road. The white looked cooked but I doubt that the yolk was. The whole procedure was interrupted by a cat who came for a sniff !

Postby Suffs » Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 am

Good morning campers :wave

Cross your fingers folks ... no painful twinges so far this morning :limbobanana
I shall continue to limit my online time for the moment ... and do the exercises :thumbsup

It looks as if we’re in for a lovely week weather wise at least ... we had the first lettuce and broad beans from the garden yesterday ... soooo good.

Have a good day all ... :D

Postby icelesley » Mon May 18, 2020 9:06 am

Good Morning campers. Moira i hope you get your water back on soon, you don't realise how much you rely on it until it's not there. People seem to be back at work today, there is certainly more traffic on the road. It was a lovely sunny afternoon again yesterday with sunny warm weather forecast today... well that is on the local forecast, TV have just said rain for us :roll: we will see.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 9:39 am

Morning all! :wave. Glad you're feeling more comfortable, Suffs.

Hopefully your water problems will improve now the weekend is over, Moira. Unless of course they have to get a part from some far corner of the world. I forgot to bounce for joy for Smitch as well - good news that the leak is on the neighbour's supply.

Another lovely day. Definitely getting out in the garden today - despite saying this every day I haven't got there yet. How lovely to have picked lettuces. I planted some outside ages ago, they are coming up but very slowly. My tomato plants planted from seed are longing to be planted out. I wish the end of the month would hurry up.

I have always wondered about cooking eggs on the pavement, I think I'd let the cat eat it!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 10:14 am

Good morning
Warm and sunny here :) - just been out and looked at the plants

Good to hear you aren’t twinging so much Suffs, I feel a lot better today too and will resume gentle exercise - I’ve eaten all the fresh veg in the house pretty much

Better do some laundry I think

Have a good day everyone

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 am

It’s grey and rainy up here in NW Cumbria. Strangely though, Cumbria needs a lot of rain at the moment.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon May 18, 2020 11:11 am

Good morning all. Bright and sunny here today.

I wonder if anyone can help please. Our daughter has a set of double doors into the garden. We put up one of those insect net 'doors' (2 pieces of net with magnets down the middle to hold it closed) and it doesn't hang quite right (she's pleased with it so it's probably me being fussy). The bottom seems a bit floaty, I think it's a bit lightweight and could with a bit a weight to it. Any suggestions of what I could use please.

Thanks.

Postby Lokelani » Mon May 18, 2020 11:16 am

Suffs wrote:Sounds as if you have Apple Mint Lokelani. The connoisseur’s choice for mint sauce and jelly ... I grow Apple Mint and Spearmint but I much prefer Applemint.

They’re hungry plants so give yours some fertiliser and plenty of water and keep the soil moist. They’re plants of riversides and water meadows in the wild.

Ah yes, I've just looked at images for Apple Mint & I'd say that's it definitely! Thank you, good to know. It is lovely.

I shall buy a supermarket garden mint & pot that outside as you did Sue, at least I can be sure it will be the right culinary version that way. See if I can have another go at growing it.

The previous owner planted lemon balm in the big border & 20 years on it still comes up!

Just back from first dog walk, much warmer start today. Still a nice breeze.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am

Morning all! Very sunny atm! Glad things are improving Suffs :newhuggy

Re cooking eggs on the pavement, I seem to vaguely recall that when one of the new London tall buildings was built - I think it might have been the walkie-talkie? - the reflection from all the glass in the sun was so bad that cars were damaged, the road was melted and people were able to cook eggs on the pavement :lol:

Just spoke to our little Waitrose at the end of the road and the manager said he has some strong Canadian bread flour and will put one packet back for me so DS can pick it up later. That way I'll eke out the wholemeal I have left a bit longer!

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 18, 2020 11:49 am

slimpersoninside - I was going to get one of those as I saw a lovely one in someone's house, but DS said they didn't always fit well.

The Queen has coins sewn into her dress hems to make them hang well so maybe sew In weights like that? Do they still sell those things we all hung posters from in the 70's? Not sure if they'd be heavy enough, I think there are different materials/quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Poster-H ... 0689312775

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 12:07 pm

You can get all kinds of curtain weights made specially for the job

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox