Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:03 pm

I think I shall henna my hair. Why not...?! I hope I can find some sacrifical towels.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm

We all want & have always wanted hair that we don't have.....i.e straight want curly, curly want straight - I was told that many moons ago - didn't really get it then but certainly do now. Mine is 'unruly' to put it politely - it has what's called a 'kink' which means a wave which I tried my best to get rid of for centuries - & succeeded, tho' never have used irons - I was a cool straight hair girl - it was very long & high maintenance - no hairdressers involved. I now like my kink & encourage it kink where it wants.........at the moment it looks like there are birds nesting in it.

Pampy wrote:My hairdresser at the time was tiny and used to have to stand on a box in order to put the rollers in.

:lol:

What did you nickname him......?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:05 pm

My mother didn’t like “messy” long hair on children, so mine was short and naturally curly
When I was old enough to choose I therefore grew it long, and it was curly enough to look like Crystal Tipps, not the straight elegant Françoise Hardy style I was going for, so it got shortened again
When I grew it out again it was straight and for a long time I had long straight hennaed hair
Only ever had one perm and it didn’t take

It’s been up and down like a theatre curtain since, waiting to go back to hairdresser in a while as not sure what I want done. My hair is so thick you can actually sculpt a shape into it, but I’m a bit tired of that and would like something softer now

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm

I've not really had properly short hair since I was six. I did have it chin-lengthed for a while c.2005 which is quite short, but never shorter.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:30 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:Two old mirrored wardrobe doors. Each 500 mm by 2100 mm. Mirrors are in
pretty good condition. Can leave by gate for social distancing. With
these and some smoke, you could simulate the Tories' approach to the
coronavirus pandemic.

Copied from todays local freecycle page.

That's brilliant, chinch!! Great to have something to laugh at atm!

Uschi wrote:Scullion, what an experience!!! :newhuggy
I have "chives locks" i. e. straight hair. But since I had the perm grown out and my hair is now well over shoulder length I have discovered that while most of my hair ist absolutely straight, there must be a patch on my crown that cranks out waves. I only noticed now as I am experimenting with a middle parting. Axel is quite amused. I am not sure what to think. If the lot were like that I'd be thrilled, but only a strip of about two inches wide coming down above the ears looks a bit odd. Ah well, maybe the rest will follow suit.

Uschi, mine is also doing that sort of thing nowadays, and I've always had "chives locks" too. I spent my teenage years trying to make it flick up at the ends! The curly hair I get now is much coarser, as are the scattered grey ones, but for the most part I've still got the fine dark brown hair I've always had.

I did the usual experimenting with perms when everyone was, and the one that went wrong for me broke off the front part of my hair so it looked shaved above my forehead, and was then all curly. After a fight with the hairdresser they did give me a refund; I never went back there and also never had another perm ...

Just had to replace one of my tyres after the AA man's throwaway comment last week that I should change it before I drive on the motorway.

£93? (including VAT etc) For a budget tyre? Seems a lot to me but then I didn't negotiate with the guy as I was avoiding all unnecessary interactions and OH isn't a driver and knows even less than I do about prices etc and the workings of cars.

Oh well, far better safe than sorry where cars and tyres are concerned!!

Edited to say OH had misremembered, it was £83 not £93. £60 for the tyre itself plus wheel balancing, VAT etc.
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:54 pm

I have thick, curly hair, a great bone of contention with Deb, hers is fine and straight. I had it bleached or highlighted for years until my hairdresser politely declined to do it any more as I was getting too grey.

Moira

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:02 pm

I only have four choices for my hair...

As it is.
Shave it off.
Comb-over :o
A wig.

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I am happily going very light sivery grey, but the red parts still need growing out.

When I had long hair and a perm (I hennaed it usually a week after the perm) I looked like an exploded hamster.

Rachel, for hennaing you need sacrificial towels, gloves, a broad-toothed comb, red wine (not necessary, but it does give the henna a lovely dark boost), olive oil, water and cotton wool. Oh, and a loo-roll or some kitchen paper handy and I used Clingfoil to cover everything up.

A disposable piping bag will help loads.

I used to lay out the loo roll, cut a strand of cotton wool, two inches wide and long enough to wrap around the head (to keep the hairline moist) and had the Clingfoil unrolled for an inch or two, so I need not fight with it.

A glass bowl was filled with dark and light henna and this was mixed with warm water and the red wine (about half a glass) the consistency should be that of a thickish batter, not too runny. Finally a dash of olive oil and then the whole thing went into the piping bag. I parted my hair bit by bit with the comb, applied a strand of henna, massaged this in a bit, parted the next bit and so on. One must take care especially with the bit around the ears and the crown. The back of the head was difficult, but a good mirror helps. Finally, the hairline gets a good extra layer which is covered with the moistened, but not dripping cotton wool. Then the Clingfoil is wrapped around the head and that is it for two hours.
You will need lots of shampoo and a good conditioner afterwards, but you will be rewarded with a great colour and a lovely sheen. Mind you, for the next ten hours or so you will glow in the dark. The colour needs a bit of time to settle.

Have fun.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Lush your hair sounds just like mine, a slight kink! :lol: When it's short, it looks a bit like a haystack in the mornings, especially the side that I sleep on.

I had it cut today so I feel much better. I'm not going to have any more highlights, because my hair has gone a bit lighter at the front and sides and looks OK. Anyway I'm not going anywhere except back to the gym!

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Uschi I've just seen your photo! :lol: You didn't quite look like that when I met you!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 pm

I used to put coffee in henna, Uschi, to darken it, in accordance with the Body Shop book.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 pm

This is one of my redder efforts (I look a bit snooty!) with a growing out perm c. 1984, aged 18, I'd say.

15759988258_c4927cd33b_c.jpg

A few years later, much better.

15851371477_bf1a0f1912_c.jpg

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:02 pm

The colour suits you!!! I started dyeing my hair with henna in 1979 when I was 15. Even people who had grown up with my mousy self swore I had always been a redhead.

I think it's the acidity of coffee and red wine that does the trick.

Renée, I was nineteen in that picture, so it's a long time ago.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:07 pm

My hair was naturally reddish.

Oh dear. My mother is not answering the phone...

edit: phew she'd lost the phone
Last edited by herbidacious on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm

i used to boil the powder up with ground coffee, slap it on and squidge it through my hair, over the bath, and while it was still warm wrap it in clingfilm and cover with an old towel to keep the heat in for about an hour.

Lusciouslush wrote:We all want & have always wanted hair that we don't have

nah, i've always been ok with my dead straight hair - it was only my mother, and then peer pressure that made me have the last perm.
i always wanted white hair when i was little, too, so am happy to have that at last.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:49 pm

When the 'Kevin Kegan' curly hair was all the rage (for the fellas), my very macho OH decided he wanted that look and much to my surprise asked me to perm his hair for him...... I don't think he ever knew how much self control I found that day, almost collapsing on the floor behind him in fits of giggles at the sight of this butch guy sitting with a head covered in perm curlers ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:When the 'Kevin Kegan' curly hair was all the rage (for the fellas), my very macho OH decided he wanted that look and much to my surprise asked me to perm his hair for him...... I don't think he ever knew how much self control I found that day, almost collapsing on the floor behind him in fits of giggles at the sight of this butch guy sitting with a head covered in perm curlers ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:My mother didn’t like “messy” long hair on children, so mine was short and naturally curly
When I was old enough to choose I therefore grew it long, and it was curly enough to look like Crystal Tipps ....

That was me too! I wanted long hair soooo much as a child that I used to cry every time I was taken to the hairdresser to have it cut. My mother discovered a 'good' hairdresser in a village some way away from ours. My father and grandmother took me in the car. I was placed on a cushion on the chair and as the hairdresser stepped away to fetch something I jumped out of the seat, opened the door and started running down the road with all three of them chasing after me. You can guess the rest ... :oops:

I used to henna my hair too - when I was 17 and had at last grown it.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:37 am

KeenCook2 wrote:We watched Terence Rattigan's Deep Blue Sea from the NT yesterday and really enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend it !

we watched it this evening. i found its delivery a little confusing. there were parts that got a few laughs where i definitely wouldn't have laughed - like a small group of people were expecting a comedy and were going to laugh willy nilly - and there were a few lines that were delivered in a lighter way than the play deserved - which is definitely a 'tragedy' rather than comedy if you ask me.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox