Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby icelesley » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am

Good Morning campers. It's raining. :roll: Suffs have a good trip, MIL will be pleased to see you I am sure. I am not impressed with this kitchen company, they should have telephoned us yesterday but didn't. I get the feeling they don't want the job. Maybe it's an omen, the kitchen doesn't want to change. :shock:

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am

There has been a long discussion here, should we go out for supper tomorrow, if so where? At present the choice is between Melanda Beach and Kyrenia Bar, they are at either end of the same beach. Decisions, Decisions
Wherever we go I must remember to take a towel as we usually have to sit on plastic chairs.

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 am

Morning. Was sunny here but now clouding over and it's gone much cooler. Disappointed that they have rescinded the good forecast for Saturday when we got to Wisley. At the moment it looks to be warm, but not photgraphy weather at all :(

My MIL was widowed in 1996. (Husband was 25 at the time...) She will be 80 next year. It is a long time to be on your own (although she had a 'gentleman friend' for a while, although they never lived together. Sadly he too died about 5 years ago.) My MIL has a very active social life too - U3A, 'keep fit' etc. and hand bells are her instrument of choice (!) - and was pushing the limits a bit I think during lockdown. I suppose it's understandable but she is a bit of a Covid denier. (As in, has always thought the precautions are over the top.) She has tried to invite herself to come and stay... :shock:

I hope you enjoy your trip, Suffs. I'd like to explore Lincolnshire a bit. My grandma's family was from the Isle of Axholme in the north.

Icey have you any alternative kitchen people up your sleeve?

Toying with the idea of a couple of nights away next month if it's possible to get accomodation. I imagine everyone else will be too, though... I think we need to be decisive but husband is allergic to booking holidays ;)

I'd better get on with some more work.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:44 am

Morning all! :wave. Click and collect shopping has been duly collected and perishables put away. I was amazed at how empty the roads were at a time of day they would be gridlocked in normal times. The environment must still be benefiting from the current situation.

I popped a pack of disposable masks into the shopping order. I think we'll be required to wear them for a while yet and it will mean there are some for visitors, car sharers etc as time goes on in case they are needed.

icey - did the firm come through recommendation? Is it a one man band sort of thing where the owner might be very busy or a large company whre there is little excuse?

Your little jaunt tomorrow will be nice Suffs, especially with pasties in the picnic box! I'm so impressed you can write with thumbs on a phone. Mine seem too big and cumbersome to hit the letters in the right place so I stick to one finger.

I got the wrong day yesterday. It is today I am meeting friend for coffee in the park. A zoom meeting tonight too, this busy life is quite a shock to the system! Must blitz the house this morning, GD is coming tomorrow and I can't let her ma see it looking like it does at the moment :lol:. I picked gooseberries yesterday but need to cut back the mulberry bushes and pick the fruit and do something with it. It may just end up in the freezer for now.

mistakened wrote:niece has posted a photo of her her post lock down haircut, it is terrible, it looks like the hair on one of the Lego figures. She had to elsewhere to get it corrected.

:cry: oh dear! DD has had hers done. Because originally they were not going to be allowed to use hair dryers, her salon took extra bookings to cover the time saved and have kept that policy to get through the high number of requests. DD said it was odd going home with wet hair and a slightly new colour she hadn't seen. The hairdresser had stressed that she must text once it was dried to say she was satisfied (though what could be done if you weren't I don't know!). The best thing was that they charged £20 less than usual! At that rate, people choosing to leave with wet hair will become popular.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:52 am

Earthmaiden wrote:oh dear! DD has had hers done. Because originally they were not going to be allowed to use hair dryers, her salon took extra bookings to cover the time saved and have kept that policy to get through the high number of requests. DD said it was odd going home with wet hair and a slightly new colour she hadn't seen. The hairdresser had stressed that she must text once it was dried to say she was satisfied (though what could be done if you weren't I don't know!). The best thing was that they charged £20 less than usual! At that rate, people choosing to leave with wet hair will become popular.

My last professional hair-cut was in the week lock-down started. My current hairdresser usually insists on a cut and blow dry as she likes to see that the cut has worked, but this last time, I told her I would arrive with wet hair and go away with damp hair, so we didn't have to make face-to-face contact, with hot air blowing over me. She only charges £19 for a cut and blow dry, so I didn't mind paying this just for a trim. I have just done my third DIY hair cut - I am in no hurry to get back to the salon for a few more weeks yet as I am shielding in any case ;)

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 am

Dental check this afternoon. Lots of forms filled in online. It should be my usual dentist, but I probably won’t know through all the PPE.

Postby Suelle » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:10 am

Hairdressers vary so much in what they will do - the guidelines for re-opening must have been very vague. I've heard of some who will only do dry cuts, and some who won't dry after treatments, as EM mentioned.

Mine insisted on a wet cut, and dried it afterwards; their theory was that once they had washed your hair and it was clean of any potential contamination, then they could remove their gloves to cut more easily. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it was more expensive than a dry trim, so helped rebuild their finances after not trading for so long!

What I didn't like was the stylist only wearing a visor style mask - as she was standing over me, her breath must have been directed downwards.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:44 am

Good morning everyone,
I've been "dry cut" only for a few years now and always been happy with the results. :)
Raining again here today, it dried up a bit yesterday afternoon and my son headed to Loch Doon with my nephew for a spot of fishing - the midgies were rampant and he's covered in bites despite the super strong repellent! Garage sort out continues today, he built all the shelving yesterday morning so it's looking much better already.
Once I've got a few chores out of the way I'm heading to the greenhouse to do some much needed tomato plant taming - I may be gone some time! :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:56 am

good morning, all.
overcast. we aren't predicted sun, of any sort, until the weekend at the earliest but i will have to water as rain has been sparse.
if i couldn't get a friend or family member to cut my hair i would just do it myself! (and have). after just about all but one experience of hairdressers, in the past, being unsatisfactory/disasterous i decided i might as well save the money. i'm not one of those that gets a lift out of sitting and letting someone do things like that for me.
my mother had her hair done regularly - sometimes every week it seemed - twice when we were on a week's cruise (at over sixty quid a pop, ten years ago). it never seemed to look worth it after a couple of days - but that was her choice and, hopefully, made her feel better.
i think my distain for bothering with hairdressing possibly came from her. i kept the, stovetop heated, curling tongs as a memento of childhood torture from her wish for me to have curly hair. the memory of the fear and the smell of burning paper from testing the heat will never leave me! i was always happy to have dead straight hair.
i made the mistake of the curly mane perm in the mid eighties - three weeks of long, stylish ringlets, a couple of months of grizzly straw bale with a spike of hair that had obviously not taken the perm and been cut off to disguise the fact. i think i took the scissors to it all myself and ended up looking much better.
coffee finished.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 pm

GDs ma is responsible for running the business side of things in the salon she runs with her sister. The directives leading up to opening kept changing. Just a couple of nights before July 4 she was sitting in bed at midnight reading yet another revised 40 page directive. Some of the precautions they spent money on weren't even a requirement in the end (although they have adopted most of them because they make sense).

Originally there was to be no blow drying and those salons who started taking bookings early, timed their appointment slots accordingly. Some decided to leave it that way when it changed so they could fit in more cut and colours, which was what people wanted most. It is also, I believe, why some other corners are being cut (such as dry cuts). Those who delayed booking were able to book appropriate time slots but with fewer chairs on offer it sounds as though the more 'quick in, quick out it is, the better. I thought originally that they were to wear masks and visors, DD said hers only wore a visor. I wonder if that was a directive that changed.

My hair is like the dry, frizzy, knotty perm in it's natural state. It needs someone trained to know how to handle it. (My mother had fine, straight hair and couldn't understand it at all!).

Postby ChinchillaLady » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm

Two old mirrored wardrobe doors. Each 500 mm by 2100 mm. Mirrors are in
pretty good condition. Can leave by gate for social distancing. With
these and some smoke, you could simulate the Tories' approach to the
coronavirus pandemic.

Copied from todays local freecycle page.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:05 pm

I go to my hairdresser's house to have my hair cut. I wash it before I go and she sprays it with water if it's dried a bit. Never have it dried. I had the first post-lockdown cut last week - what a relief!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:11 pm

I've not had may hair cut since August... :?

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Scully, I had perms in the '80s and hennaed my hair. I wanted it to look like Judi Trott's in Robin of Sherwood. My hair doesn't take to curling well. I'd sit in the hairdresser's for 5-6 hours, eneveloped in a miasma of stinking ammonia, tortured by the requirement and my inability/lack of desire to make conversation and the periodic complete invasion of my large personal distance space to such a degree that it sometimes involved body to body contact (through a nylon cape, of course). They would over-perm it as they knew it would 'drop' so I'd look dreadful when I came out and for a week or so after. (I remember being in tears one time and my mother telling me off for being so rude to the hairdresser).

I did this for about 4 years?!

It was such a relief when I went 'straight' again.

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Scullion, what an experience!!! :newhuggy
I have "chives locks" i. e. straight hair. But since I had the perm grown out and my hair is now well over shoulder length I have discovered that while most of my hair ist absolutely straight, there must be a patch on my crown that cranks out waves. I only noticed now as I am experimenting with a middle parting. Axel is quite amused. I am not sure what to think. If the lot were like that I'd be thrilled, but only a strip of about two inches wide coming down above the ears looks a bit odd. Ah well, maybe the rest will follow suit.

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:31 pm

herbidacious wrote:Scully, I had perms in the '80s and hennaed my hair. I wanted it to look like Judi Trott's in Robin of Sherwood. My hair doesn't take to curling well. I'd sit in the hairdresser's for 5-6 hours, eneveloped in a miasma of stinking ammonia, tortured by the requirement and my inability/lack of desire to make conversation and the periodic complete invasion of my large personal distance space to such a degree that it sometimes involved body to body contact (through a nylon cape, of course). They would over-perm it as they knew it would 'drop' so I'd look dreadful when I came out and for a week or so after. (I remember being in tears one time and my mother telling me off for being so rude to the hairdresser).

I did this for about 4 years?!

It was such a relief when I went 'straight' again.

I did that for 34 years, but it was usually 3 and a half to four hours. I did not mind the bustling around me. My first hairdresser was not all that chatty, although we did chat a little and the one who "inherited" me is about my age and we usually had short natters while she was busy with my hair and in between I would happily read women's magazines that I don't buy.

My mother helped me with the henna at first, then I discovered piping bags and was independent after that.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm

I had a long hair perm in the early 80s. My hairdresser at the time was tiny and used to have to stand on a box in order to put the rollers in. My hair was very thick and needed far more rollers than most people so the appointment was a 6 hour+ stint. When I brushed it before washing, it looked like the biggest "Afro" you've ever seen!

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm

mine was also long but gosh, six hours‽‽‽ i know that extra time was spent with the chemicals on my hair as, when asked, i told them that perms only really lasted two or three weeks in my hair but definitely not that long - that was the last time i had a perm and mid nineties since seeing a hairdresser (when i came out with the same haircut as the hairdresser - which was definitely not what i asked for).
all the other tortures my mother inflicted to curl my hair would last about half an hour before being straight again.
after using it on and off since i was about fourteen i stopped using henna when the white streaks started appearing. it was about the same time that i saw a checkout lady, with hair a little further down that route, with bright orange streaks in the nice auburn colour she had. i hate orange. if i did it now i'd look like a straightened coco the clown (without the lipstick).

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Before the perm I used to go to bed with rags in my hair, or many little plaits, periodically. I used to use Boots cheap hair gel to try to make the curl/wave stay in.

I wouldn't mind hennaing my hair again. Although I used to leave that on for about 6 hours too, and it was very smelly. (I used to use a Body Shop one.) This could be the time to do it...

On the other hand, sounds like a faff:

https://uk.lush.com/article/how-use-henna

My mother permed her hair from the age of 15. Only stopped in the last couple of years due to it being so difficult.

Gosh, I really can't concentrate today.

I might go for a bike ride later :o (Husband managed to 'fix' my once-ridden lovely bike.) That'll make it rain...

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:20 pm

I too had the red perm ... neither the perm or the colour took well, but I persevered for a while ... then cut it all short and dyed it ginger which took much better on unpermed hair ... I remained a faux ginger until I found it was really white.

Pasties made, soup made, kitchen clean and tidy and floor washed, towels washed and hung out yesterday evening are dry folded and in the cupboard, watering and deadheading done and bathroom cleaned.

Now I shall sit on the sofa and test a pasty.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox