Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:56 pm

this is a pretty map of week on week change.

the strap is easy to make if you have already made or bought masks.

Postby Busybee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:01 pm

EM, on the Zoe map we have gone from palest pink to deepest red. Yet on the link supplied by Scully the closest named dot, Easingwold and Stillington has had four deaths since March. And even further afield looks similar re death numbers

I don’t know if I should be too scared to go out according to Zoe or out and about but taking all the sensible measures as per the other link.

The local council Hambleton, is claiming 301 cases so far but as we live in a very rural area but also including the county town and another sizeable town, how relevant that is to our actual locality is debatable.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:02 pm

I have three masks (for me) - I guess I should try them on. I have a small head :?

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:12 pm

Just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ore-throat

Enough to put me off ever eating sashimi again!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 pm

I just tried my mask on. It has adjustable straps, but it's basically still too big. If it fits flush on my face, it half covers my eyes. Bit annoyed as it was expensive. Why on earth should one size fit all?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:The trouble with Covid data is that it seems so varied, depending on the source and there seem to be issues with collecting it in a timely fashion. I, like many, have been completing the ZOE app each day

Rant warning :evil:

I am furious with ZOË and Tim Spector, who in the last few minutes has just been on TV talking about how common long term symptoms are in Covid sufferers. I have been reporting my symptoms every day including the recurrent fatigue and other minor symptoms. And three time I have provided feedback through the approved mechanism that people like me who started reporting early have not been given the ability to report acute illness before we downloaded the app. This although they said in the early symposia and the first batch of FAQs we would be given this update and it was added for new profiles.

So the algorithm keeps looking at my daily reports and deciding that I am symptomatic and offering me a test, I did one but I think any more would be a waste of resources. If they’d just let me tell them I’ve had the acute illness then the algorithm might draw a correct inference from my data, and presumably that of hundreds of other people who joined at least partly to be a data point, someone who had Covid pre-lockdown.

I Tweeted both ZOË and Tim Spector on Friday, a thread of 4 Tweets, calmly and politely expressed asking why they chose to collect flawed data. Neither has had the courtesy to reply.

Bear in mind this is related to what I did for many years, my professional opinion is unprintable

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:25 pm

OH made a mask for me, with tapes that tie at the back.

FT Covid statistics counted the total number of deaths than would be expected. Haven’t looked for a month, but then it was 20,000 more than official UK figures.

Yesterday’s story from Texas tells of Coronavirus Parties held by people who believe it's a hoax. One of them died. No doubt voted for Trump.

Postby Suelle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Also how do you keep the darn things on? I have a narrow skull which probably doesn’t help and I’ve worn 3 different styles in the past few weeks and the elastic just pings off my ear although it seems quite tightly fitted when I put them on. Perhaps I need to get some kids ones - I wear children’s woolly hats

If it feels tight, then it's too tight! You need a longer length of elastic. The first ones I made, using the lengths suggested in the online videos, were far too tight - it took a while to realise that not all elastics have the same amount of stretch in them.

I've given up with ear loops and now just use one length of elastic that goes through both side channels and, once it's knotted, makes two loops to fit behind the head - I find that much more comfortable.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 pm

The straps on my mask go around the skull. Usually they keep fairly well, but I've had one or two days when I resorted to applying a small hair clip (the tiny ones, about the size of a fingernail). It did the trick.

Postby aero280 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:11 pm

There seems to be a good supply of flat face masks available in the DIY places like B&Q and Screwfix. All on click and collect.

I’m doing a lot of dusty DIY at the moment and need more protection. It’s impossible to find a PP3 grade mask at the moment. I bought a box of 10 back at the end of last summer, and I’m down to the last one...
Last edited by aero280 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Good Afternoon campers. I have made a couple of masks this morning and will do some more as I have time. I think as they are washable just 3 or 4 will be enough. I only go shopping once a week.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Suelle wrote: I've given up with ear loops and now just use one length of elastic that goes through both side channels and, once it's knotted, makes two loops to fit behind the head - I find that much more comfortable.

That’s how I’ve made mine. Perfectly comfortable and adjustable as the elastic is knotted.

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm

I had to make mine with the loops over the ear as I need to wear one for the hairdressers, I don't think one around my head will suffice if she is cutting the hair. But I also have one that goes around the head but I find it awkward.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 pm

icelesley wrote:I had to make mine with the loops over the ear as I need to wear one for the hairdressers, I don't think one around my head will suffice if she is cutting the hair. But I also have one that goes around the head but I find it awkward.

Lesley, the hairdressers round here seem to planning to use tape to stick the masks on customers to save problems with loops/ties.

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Stokey Sue wrote: If they’d just let me tell them I’ve had the acute illness then the algorithm might draw a correct inference from my data, and presumably that of hundreds of other people who joined at least partly to be a data point, someone who had Covid pre-lockdown.

interestingly i have sort of pointed out the same thing when asked for comments on the zoe app. we were really unwell when we came back from the conference at the end of january/begining of feb. and there was no way of retrospective reporting of symptoms even though we now know that the virus was brewing, here, earlier than march.
we don't think we had covid but there were overlaps on symptoms that could possibly have been relevant at the time.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Very odd that the ZOE research disregards something one would assume was quite important. As for figures, I wonder if anyone really knows.

Busy afternoon walking and long conversations with both DD and DS. While I was out, the nuisance lady down the road had all her rubbish moved from the back alleyway! It is actually possible to use it again. Now all she needs to do is to move the pallet of shingle from the residents parking spaces and all will be hunky dory until whatever she does next :roll:.

I've placed a click and collect order from Sainsburys for first thing in the morning to save me going shopping. Was amazed to look this afternoon and get a space for tomorrow!

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 pm

We bought a pack of face masks from Amazon for £8.70. Can't find the link now, but there's plenty of choice.

Checked FT's latest figures for UK - excess deaths 65,700.

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:45 pm

tesco has packs of ten, single use ones, for £6.50. depending how often you go out it could work out very expensive.
if you are handy with a needle and thread and want to make some the easy way there are things like this out there.

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:15 am

Good Morning Campers, not a breathe of wind here, the breeze may come up in about an hour.
My niece has posted a photo of her her post lock down haircut, it is terrible, it looks like the hair on one of the Lego figures. She had to elsewhere to get it corrected.

Moira :mug:

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:18 am

Good morning Moira :D :mug: and everyone else as you arrive :D :mug:
The low cloud is lifting and there’s blue sky in the West ... OH has an 11-3 shift today then he’ll have a few days leave ... tomorrow we’re planning to drive to S. Lincs to have a socially distanced visit to his Mum ... shes 80 now ... that’s hard to believe, she’s lived on her own since she was widowed in her fifties, and she’s very independent, usually off out to ukelele practice or U3A meetings etc several evenings a week ... she’s very pragmatic and says she’s fine but must have been missing the company of her very good friends. So, we’re going to visit and sit in the garden (in the garden room if wet) and have a really good natter. Today I’ll make some pasties to take with us, and some soup to have at home on our return.
Ha! In the time it’s taken me to write the above (with my thumb on my phone) the cloud has all gone, the sky is blue and there is golden sunshine :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox