Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby scullion » Sun May 24, 2020 2:17 pm

scullion wrote:the (private) road to the right of the beach had a notice about clamping of vehicles last year, not for ordinary vehicles but aimed at the camper vans who parked for days/weeks on end, leaving their 'potty' contents on the road

Pepper Pig wrote:But are the Public loos open? I haven't seen any round here that are.

of course not, at the moment - and if some van owners don't behave in a social accepted way when they are why would they when they aren't‽

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Husband used a public park loo yesterday. I don't regard them as very sanitary places anyway. I avoid them like the plague (!) Easier if you are a bloke to use them without too much contamination? Although if you wash your hands should be ok. I don't think you can absorb the virus through your thighs on a loo seat...

Postby mistakened » Sun May 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I got rid of a lot of my Sainsburys cookery books when I had a book cull. I rather wish I'd kept them all now

When I worked in the book swap I used to advise people who were thinking of moving to Cyprus, do not get rid off your cookery books, you will regret it. I certainly did

moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm

TBH, I don't miss the cookery books I got rid of. I kept plenty! I should have sorted my large file of cuttings during lockdown and the folder I kept with recipes for the 70s dinner parties I dreamed of hosting :lol: :lol:.

Stokey Sue wrote:Don’t forget that the virus won’t survive more than a few days outside a human

At the beginning of the epidemic, they were saying that the virus could remain on some materials, especially plastic, for quite a few days (which is why people quarantine their shopping). I read that it had survived for 15 days on a synthetic surface of the cruise ship that was in the news :(. I hope it was misinformation but I am very wary of public facilities, outdoor benches etc.

If I needed to stay elsewhere at the moment I'd go to a Travelodge. The rooms are basic with no frills and you could easily sanitise all the surfaces yourself on arrival, remembering also to be careful about shoes, keys etc. I would probably take my own pillow too.

Collected the groceries and have had cheese, crackers and salad bits for lunch :yum. Sainsburys have changed the collection arrangement from one that was simple and efficient to something far more complicated. It means the assistant doesn't know who got there first and drivers having to reverse in an odd way round other cars. Anyone who hates reversing would be a nervous wreck by the end of it. One wonders what kind of imbecile could think up such a system when the previous one was so good.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 24, 2020 3:41 pm

My brother owns a B&B and self catering business and closed down as soon as hotels etc were told to. They have a very loyal customer base and are still getting phone calls/emails asking when they'll re-open. My SIL is a transplant patient and because of the need for her to be shielded, they have decided to stay closed for the rest of this year, at the very least. Despite telling their customers this, there are still a couple who keep phoning to try to get them to change their mind, saying that they'll stay in the train carriage or converted goods shed - obviously not thinking that they still need cleaning every day.
I read a report by a virologist yesterday saying that it wasn't necessary to quarantine shopping etc. It was a very interesting article but of course, I can't find it again now!
When I modernised my house in 2013/14, I did a total life laundry and got rid of over 400 cookery books - and to be honest, haven't really missed them! T'interweb is a wonderful thing!

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm

We ended up going for a drive. We drove through Greenwich towards the river - you would not know that the world is any different from what it was 6 months ago, apart from closed shops. i.e. very busy and no social distancing. Got home ane other neighbours have visitors in their back garden. Not realtives (other neighbours, in fact.) Othere nieghborus had visitors in their house earlier. It would seem that people have given up on lockdown.

We kind of accidentally caught the Woolwich Car Ferry. Never has somethign so simple caused me so much pleasure!

Postby Suffs » Sun May 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Goodness .., you’ve all been chatty :D :lol:

I am currently painfree for the first time in four weeks! :limbobanana
As OH says ... that’s the curative powers of a good rosé for you :wino

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun May 24, 2020 8:04 pm

herbidacious wrote:We kind of accidentally caught the Woolwich Car Ferry. Never has somethign so simple caused me so much pleasure!

I can remember my dad taking me on the Woolwich ferry when I was young, I really enjoyed it too. Been on it since and still enjoy it.

Postby Suffs » Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Sounds like a good outing Herbi ... gotta love a ferry ...

We have one just down the road https://www.norfolkbroads.com/link/reed ... ferry-832/

and another down at Southwold https://www.explorewalberswick.co.uk/ferry.php

and then there’s https://m.youtube.com/user/bryanferry

Gotta love a Ferry too ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Back in the 1970s petrolhead ex and I lived in Islington and went to events at Brands Hatch in Kent, long before the motorway links were completed

We, and a few others, soon worked out that if we caught the Woolwich Ferry it was a shortcut, and even better took you into Brands via the least busy roads possible, so I remember going to the Grand Prix in the days of Lauda, Hunt, Hesketh and the original Lotus Team of Colin Chapman

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Pampy wrote:I read a report by a virologist yesterday saying that it wasn't necessary to quarantine shopping etc. It was a very interesting article but of course, I can't find it again now!

I saw this a couple of days ago and thought it very interesting and helpful:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040138

Edited to say fantastic that you're pain free, Suffs!! :thumbsup :thumbsup Long may it last :newhuggy
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 24, 2020 8:58 pm

It's a very short ride, but I enjoyed it. Some nice views - Canary Wharf, the Thames barrier, the Tate and Lyle Sugar factory etc.

So glad you are pain free, Suffs.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 24, 2020 9:04 pm

I think that highlights that even experts aren't really sure how this virus presents. The article I read, also by a qualified virologist, was quite different about what we should be doing to mitigate the risks of catching the virus. It's scary - if the experts don't concur, what chance have we mere mortals got?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Love the thought of the Woolwich ferry trip - a real outing! I've missed out on that trip over the years, there's always been some reason why Tower Bridge, Blackwall tunnel or Dartford crossing have been deemed more suitable. Missed out on the Reedham ferry too. We used to sometimes go for a Sunday afternoon drive and get out of the car to look at it but never went on it despite my praying we might! I've been on others though.

James Hunt :yum

I think we just need to be sensible about handling things. Personally I am less keen to eat things I can't unwrap and put on a plate at the moment but I suppose sanitising one's hands between receiving and eating something like a Macdonalds meal is the best you can do. Huge queues here today as the drive in Starbucks reopened. Would you sit in the car for ages on a boiling hot afternoon across the road from the sewage works for a cup of coffee?

Postby aero280 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 pm

We had a new garden visitor today. Normally it's just the robins, the blackbirds, and an occasional visit from a green woodpecker.

P1020562.JPG
P1020562.JPG (195.12 KiB) Viewed 4906 times

Postby scullion » Sun May 24, 2020 10:46 pm

crow in a party frock!
it's magic when you find one of the blue feathers, they are stunning.
we see quite a few of them round us - they seem to be increasing.
did you know that they are responsible for planting large amounts of oak trees in this country?
we rarely see a yaffle, though.

Postby aero280 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 pm

I knew about the oak trees. I'm wondering if we will get a free forest! :)

Postby Suffs » Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 am

We see lots of jays around here ... lots of oaks too ... a chicken and egg situation :lol:

It the first time in weeks that I’ve come to bed without feeling the need for Panadol
Fingers crossed for me please ... :crossed

Night night all ... sleep tight x

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 25, 2020 2:17 am

No jays but more magpies than you can shake a stick at. They are too lazy too fly if they don’t need to, they run up the mesh cages round the young trees like circus acrobats, hilarious

There’s one has a nest near the Salvation Army graves, so determined to fly at you and lead you away, exactly the same every time, that even I know exactly where it is

We have gaffe,s, I hear them but never see them in the canopy

Postby mistakened » Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 am

Good Morning Campers, we have hooded crows, not as handsome but very clever. Before we moved to Cyprus my brother, the birder had only seen one Hoodie, up in the Scottish Highlands. He came to visit us and saw great flocks of them.

Owing to a lack of washing machine I have had to wash some of my cotton trousers by hand, I wonder how long they will take to dry?

Moira

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox