Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Herbi, the friends we were with on Sunday are flying back to her French house on 11th ... they’ve been told it’ll be ok for them to drive to the very rural house from the airport. Not sure where they’re flying to but their nearest airport is at least a couple of hours drive.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:49 pm

halfateabag wrote:The villa purchase is now in process.

it looks nice - and useful not having to furnish it. how many rentals will you have to honour in the sale agreement?
my brother flew to the south a few days ago, no problems. has had a wander round the market, been to the bakery, no quarantine.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:01 pm

So much to catch up on! Chatty day for everyone!

Grassy :newhuggy :newhuggy
Icey, how exciting!
Zosh, different exciting!!
Smitch, I didn't know about your severance, but great news about the course. I hope it works out for you ...
JRC, ouch :newhuggy
EM, yes, Charco's Wine Bar was great fun, and we still ate well, even if it was minus the salmon and the beef :lol: The cellist is one of my best friends and we still reminisce about that gig!

Clive, I had no idea you'd done a music degree in the 70s - just when I was at the RCM (72-76). Where did you do it?
Sue, glad you and your bestie are fine again :thumbsup arghh with the post-viral fatigue :newhuggy
Herbi, great you've booked your ferry to France, something to look forward to.

We watched about half Les Blancs from the NT and will finish off when OH has come down from his nap. Have any of you seen it? What did you make of it? I'm not sure,will see what I think when I've seen it all ...

Postby icelesley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Good evening campers. It’s raining, no surprise there :roll: OH is watching footie again, so I am upstairs propped up on the bed watching the other side until Masterchef is on at 9pm. We had pasta carbonara for dinner tonight. It was a recipe from weight watchers, very tasty. :yum My neighbour and her daughters are now over in Portugal. The afternoon before they flew out she gat am email saying the hotel had been cancelled :o she had no luck contacting the holiday company, so her OH rang the hotel direct and booked them in at his cost, they arrived to find there is nobody else there, they have the place to themselves. :shock: I wonder why, they are in Lisbon :crying1 but the weather is good 32c.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:34 pm

I am really not worried about driving to France at all. I think it's fine at the moment. Should be fine in September too unless there is a second wave, here or there. I will email our neighbours and get the lie of the land nearer the time.

I can't go before September though for already cited reasons. And hopefully all the flies will be dead by then :) (Or crawling back in to hibernate :o I have a plant regarding this though, involving extra strong velcro and midge netting/plastic sheeting.)

I noticed Britanny Ferries is operating again, but... no thanks! They do owe us money, though. I hope that doesn't expire.

Congratulations, Zosh (if that's not too previous!)

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 pm

halfateabag wrote:
Herb. we were not challenged until Bulgaria/Greece - all the rules are mostly the same...... for EU, some countries are just glad to see you pass through.... France was one of them.

The villa purchase is now in process....... Still having a tear here and there.... can't quite believe it.... Still a long way to go yet...

Another beach visit today, mostly under an umbrella, too hot to sit in the sun. Sea is blissful and refreshing and very very blue!!!!

It all sounds very idyllic Zosh :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:00 pm

scullion wrote:
halfateabag wrote:The villa purchase is now in process.

it looks nice - and useful not having to furnish it. how many rentals will you have to honour in the sale agreement?
my brother flew to the south a few days ago, no problems. has had a wander round the market, been to the bakery, no quarantine.

Did I miss a photo ? :?

Postby liketocook » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
I too love The Four Seasons ... I came to notice Vivaldi's work when I watched the film of the same name, written/directed/produced and starring Alan Alda.

Snap :D

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:36 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Yes - that's a tough one, Grassy. Just keep a watchful eye on her husband/partner - it will be greatly appreciated.

She doesn't have a husband/partner. It's just her and the kids, altho the grandparents have been coming regularly.

:cry:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Did I miss a photo ?

I expect scully did what I did and Googled for a villa of that name for sale in Rhodes

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 am

Keencook2:
I studied at Goldsmiths College from 1972-1975. I was a member of the London Bach Society choir (My tutor at Goldsmiths, Paul Steinitz, was the founder) until 1976. After that, I worked as a stand-in at Southwark, Westminster, Canterbury and Rochester cathedrals, bass-baritone. But those were severe economic times and I moved into language teaching in 1976.
That, eventually, brought me to Venezuela.

Postby mistakened » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:16 am

Good Morning Campers, how is everyone this morning. I shall drive down the hill to the local supermarket to restock. I noticed that we are almost out of coffee aargh :!:

Moira :mug:

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:46 am

Phew Moira, how can you drink coffee in this heat ??? The fridge is full of bottles of water, the tap water here is fine.

Today we are going to Lindos (5 mins away) just to see how it has changed since our last visit about 30 years ago.

I have checked the local chickens and the beans (I think) that have been planted around the bases of the olive trees. Small channels have been dug around the bases of the olive trees and some sort of channel has a trickle of water which can be re directed with the use of some old garments !!!! There are some peacocks calling in the far distance, they sound a bit like cats calling...

Yesterday we spoke to the owners lawyer and we now have a greek chap for us who is arranging the land registry side of things. So, the wheels are in motion. Our ferry is booked for the return a week today with a cabin this time as we need to be fresh for the long drive home.

Scully, dunno what you are looking at but the villa does not have any bookings? The pool is covered and has chemicals in it so we have to use the big blue watery bit on the horizon for keeping cool and swimming !

Have a good day everyone. Herb. hope you manage to get away to your place in France, this place, journey has done something special for us..... It's almost like getting out of prison ! Not that I have been in one !

Postby mistakened » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 am

halfateabag wrote:how can you drink coffee in this heat ??
practise :D
halfateabag wrote:There are some peacocks calling in the far distance, they sound a bit like cats calling...
They probably are cats

Are you planning to harvest your olives in autumn

Moira

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A grey and damp morning but at least the plants are watered and the butts are full ... probably just as well as it looks as if we have a warm dry spell coming up ...
OH is at home for today so I’ll have company in the studio ... supper will be homemade sausage rolls (I’ll make rough puff this morning) and new potatoes and salad ... I’ve a feeling I might get a bit damp getting the lettuce and potatoes from the garden :roll:

Postby icelesley » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:17 am

Good Morning campers. It's raining, it's been raining all night. Next door now have a swimming pool in the driveway :lol: But the plants are looking lovely and as Suffs said the water butts are full ready for the promised warm weather on the way this weekend :crossed

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:35 am

Morning all! :wave. The road and pavement are both dry here but rain is on the cards.

jrc - :newhuggy. Your leg sounds most unpleasant and worrying. I do hope that the medication eases it.

Thursday has come round already. GD will be here for much of the day. She loves the gooseberries from the garden and has been missing the puddings with custard which they sometimes have when at school. I thought I'd make a gooseberry crumble. The gooseberries are picked and washed but late last night I remembered I hadn't topped and tailed them, so guess what I'm about to do after only one :mug:. :roll:.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:55 am

Morning. Dull and dark here and quite breezy. We now have a little sun forecast for the weekend, but it feels like the forecasts for nice weather have not been very accurate. It's getting me down a bit. I think I could do with a holiday... (aka time off work. I can't go away yet, as I said), Maybe. Not enjoying work at all at the moment.
Just had a blight watch alert. What is one supposed to do with that, exactly?! If I did get it, would the tomatoes that have already formed turn out ok?
I found a few that had split last night. Not sure if this is over-ripeness or something else. They are sitting on a tank of water so there should be no fluctuation in water intake. They tasted ok. One was a yellowy orange cherry type I've not grown before. Honeycomb. Sweet but with quite a bit of acidity too. Ha but from Suttons: These gorgeous cherry tomatoes came top in our taste tests, thanks to their sweet, juicy flavour which has undertones of honey. You’ll see less fruit splitting than Sungold." Um.

I have got a smiley, purry, happy if a bit cat acnied, Lily sitting next to me :) Basil was like a Jack-in-the-Box when I opened the door to get up to feed him and let him out this morming (I managed to ignore him until 7am.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:57 am

Good morning
We had some short sharp showers overnight - there was a stop start hailstorm just as I was dropping off to sleep, I wondered what the noise was for a second

halfateabag wrote:how can you drink coffee in this heat ???

When you think about it the serious coffee drinking countries tend to be warm, the Arab and N African countries round the Sahara, the Mediterranean countries but more often a short sharp shot with a glass of water on the side than a steaming half pint :mug:

Off to Moorfields for my annual glaucoma check up this morning, better get moving soon, have a good day everyone

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 am

How can that happen ... unless the driver is ill or asleep?
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/lorry-stuc ... -1-6737405

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox