Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Suffs » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:27 am

Good morning Campers :lol: :wave Hope we’ve all had a restful night and are feeling hale and hearty :thumbsup

Quiet here too Moira ... bright and sunny but it’s going to be cold and windy this weekend. I’m not going to be gardening today ... my head is still a bit stuffed up and sinusy with slightly blocked ears ever since that lurgy that started in December ... and yes, I still have the cough :? :roll:

I think a spiced carrot soup may be on the cards for lunch ... and possibly those yeasted buckwheat pancakes from Rick Stein’s Secret France https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/buck ... with_04857 ... it’ll have to be cheddar cheese and small mushrooms ... cos that’s what we’ve got. And then I’ll make something with raspberries for a pud ... we need more space in the freezer for the farm shop order on Monday.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:10 am

Morning all. Definitely cloudier today and seems a bit cooler but I’m not going out to find out, I’ll save that till later. I like living in a flat but it’s times like this where a garden would be a boon. If desperation takes me today I might clean the kitchen - well unless there’s an episode of the Real Housewives of .......(enter any name of preference) that I haven’t seen :lol:

Have a safe day folks.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 am

Good Morning campers. I thought I had lost you forever. But Suffs directed me to the campsite :thumbsup thanks to Sakkarin for letting us all camp out :wino I hope everyone is safe and well. A lot of my neighbours did the 8pm clap for the NHS on Thursday we were all out in our front gardens and some hanging out of bedroom Windows, it was heart warming to see. Oh if there is any of the cake left, lob it over to my tent please :crossed
Who cares, tomorrow is another day.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:29 am

Morning all! :wave. I can't believe how cold it has seemed indoors for the past few days and now they say it's going to get colder and cloudier.

Odd that the Amazon thing is poor to search. I have to admit that I find i player a bit laborious for finding things too. Virgin used to just list available films and one could scroll down quickly but now they have the sort of pictures you'd see on a DVD cover instead and I find it much harder to see what's what.

Still getting through odd jobs at my leisure. I'll venture out into the garden today and am so glad I bought compost just before we were all locked down. I've found a stash of old seeds for micro greens and seed sprouting so will plant some of those. I am using up old food supplies found lurking when I tidied the cupboards in strict order of age and being quite inventive ( :). I made a 'risotto' with coconut milk, water and sweet chilli sauce as the liquid - with lots of ginger & garlic added and veg and cooked chicken. It was delicious - I'd happily have it again. Last night there were potatoes I didn't know I had, cabbage and tinned mackerel. I really didn't want fish with cabbage and had something else but will make sort of fish cakes today with the leftover veg. I'll need to fetch a prescription at the end of next week so may go shopping for a few things then. I threw away a tin of tomatoes and felt terribly guilty. They were best before a date in 2017 and I'm sure would have been ok but to take up a hospital bed with botulism or something for the sake of 50p can of tomatoes wouldn't be too clever now!

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am

good morning, all.
sunny. bread is going in the tube very soon.
my partner had a webinar, via zoom, yesterday. it was a learning curve on a few fronts, the program was the easy bit, learning how to use and find things on his 'new' laptop (with windows 10) was another kettle of fish, causing a few puffs of steam from the ears. thank goodness macs hardly change with new operating systems.
i escaped to the garden and potted up baby leeks, listening to the radio in the company of a fat and furry, hovering bee that lingered near my ears while i was working.
today will be spent making more paper pots - ready for potting up baby tomato plants.
coffee's on its way.
have a glorious day, everyone.

Postby Uschi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am

Guten Morgen! Bright, sunny and cold here. I may go for a walk later, although the pollen count in this weather isn't that good for me. Never mind, I need vitamin D and my eyes need to stretch.

It is interesting to see how different countries handle their lockdowns.
Here, we can go out without restrictions. If you feel like a walk in the woods, no one will stop you taking your car and driving to a spot of your choice for a solitary (or couple, or household family) walk.
In France, it seems, excercise is up to 1 km from your house.
In Britain, it's the "essential" journeys. A beekeeper taking his bees to a different field is sent home again, since the bees are only a hobby. I hope they know this when they are now starving.

Really odd.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Morning Campers!

I went for a local walk yesterday and am planning another today. We shall mainly avoid driving anywhere for a walk but will probably make the odd (still local) exception around once per month (unless the restrictions are tightened). We do like to get a fell walk in occasionally. There are some fells we can do directly from the house but a few (off the beaten track) local ones that involve a short drive. I think it's about taking a common sense approach and sticking to the social distancing guidelines at all times.

Much chillier- that should put off people from any mass gatherings at the local honey-pots I should imagine...
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Good Morning campers.

Morning IceL.
Just seen your 1st post in premod. Have just changed your account settings so that you can post freely from now on.

Postby Uschi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:30 pm

I did get to bake a lemon cake last night. Now I am making marmalade. With ordinary organic oranges, so not as bitter as normal marmalade. Suits me fine.

Postby mistakened » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm

The island now seems to be closed, only Cypriots and we permanent residents here now. No flights in or out of Paphos, not much movement at Larnaca, even BA have cancelled their flights although Easy Jet seem to be functioning
All this means that there are few perishable imported goods, this does not affect us much except that there are no TV listings magazines. Freight coming by sea is not affected

Moira

Postby Suffs » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Hello Ice :wave
Glad you found your way here :starwars

Postby Gruney » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I think this isolation is getting to me. The other evening, I fancied a glass of white wine before my tea. I poured out a glass, and put the bottle back in the fridge. After a short while, I fancied another. I went to the fridge, opened the door - and filled my wine glass up - with milk!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:36 pm

It's that one on the left getting the upper hand...

Postby icelesley » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
Good Morning campers.

Morning IceL.
Just seen your 1st post in premod. Have just changed your account settings so that you can post freely from now on.

Thank you :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Suffs wrote:Now I'm having to work out who some of you are ... I'm easily confused ............. Blodsdad is Gruney ... yes? Maybe KeenCook2 is Ice? :wave

Ha!
Sorry about the confusion but thereby hangs a tail ... when I originally joined the BBC Food Board I was just KeenCook. Then I managed to lock myself out and had to rejoin, but of course couldn't use KeenCook as it was already taken :thumbsdown

So I reinvented myself as KeenCook2, stayed that way when Sakk set up this BBC Refugee board, then somewhere along the way became KC2 ...

:lol:

:wave :wave

Edited to say I've just seen Scully's ace detective post working out my identity ;) And an awful lot of other posts I seem to have missed ...

What I have to work out now is how I can get to my posts and hence to the first unread post on a thread I've joined, such as this one?? :oops: Sorry if my question is incomprehensible :oops:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:11 pm

What I have to work out now is how I can get to my posts and hence to the first unread post on a thread I've joine
Not sure if either of these will help...

If you click the search button on the left, there are several other options that appear, what you want may be one of those.

Also threads with new posts show up green instead of blue on the main list.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
What I have to work out now is how I can get to my posts and hence to the first unread post on a thread I've joine
Not sure if either of these will help...

If you click the search button on the left, there are several other options that appear, what you want may be one of those.

Also threads with new posts show up green instead of blue on the main list.

Thanks Sakkarin! :thumbsup

Postby Rainbow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 am

Uschi wrote:It is interesting to see how different countries handle their lockdowns.
Here, we can go out without restrictions. If you feel like a walk in the woods, no one will stop you taking your car and driving to a spot of your choice for a solitary (or couple, or household family) walk.
In France, it seems, excercise is up to 1 km from your house.
In Britain, it's the "essential" journeys. A beekeeper taking his bees to a different field is sent home again, since the bees are only a hobby. I hope they know this when they are now starving.

Really odd.

Here in Oz they are bringing in restrictions more gradually - probably too late!!
The social distancing rule is 1.5metres (rather than 2m as in UK) and groups meeting in the open air are a maximum of 10 people.
But beaches in some places are still crowded - got to get that suntan!! - and queuing in super markets isn't marked out, and no limiting of numbers of people entering the shop.
All cafes, restaurants etc. are closed, but last night on the news they listed shops that had decided to close to protect staff - including Country Road and Cotton-On! I thought only essential shops were open - very confusing!!

Also 4 cruise ships arrived last week and were allowed to dock and the passengers walked straight off the ship into the streets of Sydney with no checks at all!!!
Then took flights all over Australia and spread the virus around more places.

Now returning people on flights are being quarantined in hotels/motels/caravan sites - anywhere they can find - and guarded by police and army personnel. Self-isolating for 14 days is not being taken seriously - I despair!!

Postby mistakened » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

Good Morning Campers, just having a coffee before venturing down the hill to the ATM, having completed my permission form first of course. It will be gloves on for the ATM, I doubt that it is ever cleaned.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 am

Good Morning campers. This morning we have a mad dash to the vet hospital with a very poorly Kai. I m a y be back later.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox