Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:02 pm

Just to say thanks for the advice, Suffs, the potatoes were delicious. The cream had separated - maybe I should have stirred it before chucking it in. But I'm very glad I didn't end up wasting an entire pot of single cream!
Enjoy the rest of your evening, everyone :D I think we're going to continue with some more Mrs America!

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed the potatoes KeenCook ... I never doubted that you would. Yum

Postby Uschi » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Looks great, Rachel! I envy you the marigolds! I only have African ones this year and they are rather large ones and too dark for my liking. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for seeds small yellow or light orange ones in the sales. And for real marigolds, too.
The first of my nasturtiums is flowering ... a dark, dark red, very pretty.

My tomatoes are about 10 inches high. They will need repotting now.
The dill is somewhat reluctant, but the borage is lovely. My two lovages are aspiring to world domination. I bet they are practicing goose-stepping at night. In any case they are being used on boiled potatoes and soups in handfuls.

Postby mistakened » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 am

Good Morning Campers, Zosh, I know that you have seen bee eaters, one of my favourite birds but have you seen rollers. they are bright blue, slightly smaller than a jay.

Yesterday there was a party at a house just down the road. I heard music late in afternoon, looked out from the balcony to see a bouncy castle. About 9 45 pm we heard fireworks, they were obviously close by, went outside, there was a major domestic display set up about 100 metres away. It was so close that we could here the fireworks going phut as they left their tubes. It was both expensive and illegal. The police came round about twenty minutes after it had finished,

Moira :mug:

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:03 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A gorgeous morning here ... and it is OHs ‘weekend’ ... two days at home. Apart from cleaning the bathroom (a shared job) and cutting the grass (OH) and cutting back some perennials (me) we have nothing that we have to do. 8-)

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:39 am

Morning campers. It was a lovely day yesterday but it’s changed again and it’s raining. Undecided about what to do today so I’ll leave that decision until later.

Herbi, have a read of this. It seems that the security guard was wrong to stop you.

https://www.blpawards.org/competition/photo-rights

Have a good day folks.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:42 am

Great photos Herb. Everything is dried out and straw coloured here. Moira, we will keep our eyes skinned for the rollers or rock n rollers as I call them.

We are celebrating today, it's his Birthday!!! He had semolina and strawberry jam for brekkie, will collect some bread and have egg sarnies (with maybe some of my HM capers mixed in) for lunch, and probably noodles and the very end of a country saus. that needs using and some local vegetables.

We are visiting an internet cafe locally to try and sort our internet photos out. The phones don't seem to be talking to the MacBook pro... Time will tell.

Postby icelesley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:48 am

Good Morning campers. It's raining :roll: Today is the day the kitchen designer comes to look at the kitchen :limbobanana very exciting, he should arrive 10am . :D

Postby Jrc123 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:16 am

Hello. Stark reminder this morning. Friend who passed away would have been his birthday today. I would have got my head around it but it didn’t help that it flashed up as a reminder all over internet this morning. Doh.

I will speak with his wife later. :newhuggy

Postby mistakened » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:45 am

There was no evidence of last night's fireworks as I drove round very slowly. Deb had already wondered if they were ignited electronically as everything was in rapid sequence. Maybe they bought some sort of framework with them. Effie will know, her mother lives over the road.

I was very amused as I left the big supermarket. As I left the building there were the usual cars obstructing the road outside the coffee shop. In the time it took to push my trolley the short distance to the car, unload and return the trolley, the traffic wardens had moved in and were ticketing those cars. Interesting as that must be private land, typing this reminds me that the were a remarkable number of parking places available. I know that building was empty for sometime, the carpark got used by workers taking the bus into Limassol, half filling the car park, maybe they got parking tickets too.

That particular supermarket often gives out discount vouchers for local retailers, usually pizza or similar. This time it was 20% discount for a local hotel chain, minimum stay two nights, they must be desperate

Moira

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment with rain forecast for the rest of the day.
only thing planned is checking some stuff for the electrician's visit tomorrow and posting a birthday card. the birthday is today but the card will also contain some kefir grains so didn't want it sitting in a post office for a couple of days. the recipient knows of the delay - i think there is more surprise that she'll be getting a card than the fact that it's going to be late.
the debate continued, on the today programme, about masks in shops etc. personally, i think one for the govemeister should definitely be mandatory - at all times.
i think coffee is on its way - hooray!
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am

Morning all! :wave. I had a peep in here late last night and mention of tomatoes reminded me I'd forgotten to water mine :oops: . All the rain lately had put watering out of my mind. I've just done it as the neighbours would have wondered what the noise was if I'd gone out then. The plants will look happier soon!

Interesting link NLB - the rules seem similar to those of 30+ years ago when I was working for the press. I think they clamp down more on long lens pics taken from a public place but clearly intruding on privacy in a private area (or at least, the legal boys know how to present a better case).

icey .. :bounce:

Quite like the idea of semolina for breakfast (perhaps with fruit rather than jam). I still haven't finished the box of polenta which I put out to use up at the start of lockdown, I think that might be a good way to use it up and not as calorific as some other ways which involve cake or cheese.

A few jobs to do today. The start of my walking challenge for the next year too. As long as I walk every day it will be easy - that's the challenge of course! Thinking of going to M&S if it's not busy, my everyday over and under clothes really do need replacing. I suppose I must make appointments for hair, eyes, teeth and feet too :cry: .

jrc - anniversaries will come round like clockwork. I like to work out ways make them special rather than sad. :newhuggy.

Certain politicians could do with a muzzle rather than a mask.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 am

Moring all. Yes lovely and sunny. I seem to be covered in little bumps from yesterday's gardening, though. On my forehead :o
Those marigolds, I discovered, are covered in black aphids :( I did think the black aphid plague had abated, but it would seem not. Will spray them at some point. I have some RHS stuff.
The idea of today (taking a day's annual leave) is to devote it to gardening. Try to plant out all (? ok some) of those seedlings that are just not growing, plus a few pants I bought ages ago and potted on to avoid having to pot out. I may hack back a shrub which I want to take out. Not sure. It will look awful if I just hack it back and then find I can’t dig it up… Want to move the potted fig as well. Wondering whether to get rid of it or give it a some tlc. It never fruits. It’s 19 years old now and not been re-potted or refreshed for quite a while.
I need to send my mother something. Nearest post box collections are at 5pm. Sydenham High street, midday. Would a midday collection mean it will get sent up north sooner, these days, or do they send everything out at the same time? I have an old postcard sent to someone locally asking if the recipient would like the sender to bring them a chicken for ‘tea’ later that day. Those days are certainly long gone.
Our skip arrived this morning - shed roofing and kitchen wall unit, its shattered contents and whatever else we can find to go into it. To go to the 'dump', you have to book and the soonest one can get a slot is September, now. I am surprised there isn't more fly tipping going on.
Chap coming to look at new back door (which needs painting, apparently) this evening. Makes sense to get someone else to do it, if we can. We probably won't do a good job and we'd have to go to a shop to get all the paint and bushes etc.
Electrician coming tomorrow to sort out those cables that came out of the kitchen wall.
Things are potentially getting done (by other people!)

Thanks for that NLB. What made me really angry about it was his approach. He launched straight into “Why are you taking photos. What are you taking photos. Answer ne honestly why you are taking photos. Show me what photos you have taken.” I didn’t know how to answer for a good minute, I was so taken aback. The approach road may have been a private road but it wasn’t obvious, and there we no signs so the aggression was unwarranted and intimidating. He was probably very bored.

Happy birthday to Mr Zosh!

I should get on with things. Maybe another coffee first though... :)

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 am

Good morning everyone,
I was in bed very early and wasn't up that early this morning so I'm feeling much fresher than yesterday. I'm definitely getting too old for late nights and red wine & Baileys is not a good next day combination ..... :lol:
It's raining this morning and set for the day I think. I really need to gut my fridge out, we have so many condiments and jars of things from combining two kitchens that it's getting hard to find space for "proper" food!
This afternoon I'll do some more of the school club accounts, it's the boring data input stuff which I can only face in smallish chunks before my mind wanders and mistakes get made so I'm trying to do a bit every wet day when I'm stuck indoors.

Postby smitch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:39 pm

Morning all!

Miserable grey, rainy day here, such a shame as it was lovely at the weekend. Still, it matches my mood today :roll:

Had a lovely weekend, met a colleague for a quick drink in a local cafe bar on Friday evening, had a nice chilled Saturday and visited my parents as a surprise yesterday.

Back to reality with work and all its problems today :( Trying really hard not to count the days until the end of October but I'm struggling to stay upbeat at the moment, things are just awful. I'm hoping I'll get confirmation of my university place later this week :crossed

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Morning all
Sun shining atm and it was already 29 degrees in the house by our dining table this morning ...

Zapped the woolly aphids on our small apple tree with a strong water spray from the Kaercher thingy that OH uses to clean the deck. Will have to go over it again but hopefully that will have got rid of them properly. I thought I'd squelched them all away by hand a few weeks ago but they seem to have returned with a vengeance!!

Have a good day everyone.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pm

Many of you will have read the news today that Tom Kerridge had 27 no show bookings at the weekend. Assuming it's not just some kind of vendeta against him, this is quite appalling when restaurants are offering fewer tables and have been and are going through a period of crisis.

There has been mention before of a deposit being paid at the time of booking, with various conditions in place if a cancellation is necessary. I wouldn't object to that - would you?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm

Tom has just been on BBC News - it was quite a widespread problem it seems, not a vendetta against him until he released the statement when the trolls started making fake bookings

According to him the problem was even worse with pubs who had asked people to make bookings for drinks :(

Some of his restaurants already take deposits, I don’t mind paying one, and it must be a good way of weeding out fake bookings, or people who make more than one booking so they can decide last minute which restaurant they feel like (he didn’t mention this, but it’s a thing)

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm

If I made a booking and didn’t turn up without reasonable notice I would expect to make some sort of payment. It seems madness not to take card details and make a standard No Show charge ... although I expect the internet trolls who enjoy doing this sort of thing and causing trouble would be well versed in how to make a ‘charge back’ on their cards. There are some despicable people about. :twisted:

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 pm

I quite agree Suffs- that's terrible!

Smitch, sorry you're having a pants day. If it is any consolation, I'm out of sorts too. Slept badly but no other excuse other than it being one of those grey, damp, close days when you feel permenantly sticky.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox