Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Zosh. I could really do with a bit of scorchio... :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:43 pm

I think I'm going to combine several bean salad recipes - red kidney beans, fresh toasted corn, green beans, a little red onion, herbs

Tempted to do watermelon, mint, feta as well just because I like it and it's very different

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Suelle wrote:If you think dried fruit and nuts are Ok in a salad, Jamie Oliver made this last night on his new '5-ingredient' series, which I thought looked interesting:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/ric ... wild-rice/

Thanks
Not terribly keen on either wild rice or chard (or kale) in a salad, the fruit and nuts are fine!
Wondering about watermelon and feta, only enough cheese as a flavouring, not as a major ingredeint but open to other suggestions

Something on the couscous/tomato/mint/red onion/pine nut theme?
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:27 pm

How about using orzo as a base - keeps its shape & takes on flavours really well - or tabbouleh with plenty of mint & parsley etc. plus mixing it with some giant couscous for added texture - then there's the pineapple/blk bean/chilli /mint/ onion etc. combo which fits in with so many other dishes - I've recently discovered pear & blk olives are a wonderful mix in a salad.

Postby Uschi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Guten Abend!
I do hope Nurse Mimi is OK!!!
Mimi, if you read this, get well soon!!!
(Click on the picture).

Postby mistakened » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 am

Good Morning Camper
halfateabag wrote:Visited the local supermarket and purchased a wizzer to make Cafe frappe
Another frappe drinker, how do you have yours, mine is just a little milk and no sugar.
Stokey Sue wrote:Tempted to do watermelon, mint, feta as well just because
I am very partial to watermelon and feta salad, much more substantial than you might think, pretty too

Moira :mug:

Postby icelesley » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 am

Good Morning campers. The Sun is out again :limbobanana :limbobanana Mimi I do hope you are ok, take care :newhuggy I love feta and watermelon salad too :yum

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:12 am

I think Leros might be the place I first had cafe frappe. You used to be able to make a ready made one which came with a shaker, and was essentially a very sweet coffee milk shake, in France. I think it was a bit of a flash in the pan. I would look for it every time I went after I first bought some to take home, usually to no avail. This was in the '80s and '90s.
I've not had any for ages.

Lovely morning here, right now. I have a lot to do in the garden. Might make a to do list so as not to feel too overwhelmed. I have been very lazy/it’s been very wet for the last couple of weeks. Husband needs to do the lawns (I can't. He bought a very heavy mower and it takes me four times as long to do it as him. Besides, I have other things to do. :) ) I could wait until he's done this before I get going :? I guess he will have to wait for the dew to dry.

We ended up going to look at (the outside of) a house and church in Charlton of all places, yesterday. Went on to the Dome and tried to take a photo, but was stopped by a very aggressive security guard. Not sure he was in his rights, as I think we were on public land/a road, but even if he was he could have gone about it in a more polite and less threatening manner. I need to re-read my photographer's rights, not that it would have been worth arguing them. Wouldn't have even got a good shot from that angle... This business of not letting people photo buildings is on the up. Pretty sure it's for commercial reasons on the most part, rather than security. I've encountered it in what look like public squares in London, and Somerset House, plus Downe House. Anyway, unpleasant.

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:27 am

herbidacious wrote:This business of not letting people photo buildings is on the up. Pretty sure it's for commercial reasons on the most part, rather than security. I've encountered it in what look like public squares in London, and Somerset House, plus Downe House. Anyway, unpleasant.

Hasn't Google earth or whatever it is photographed everything anyway which rather defeats the 'security' claim. I hadn't thought of the commercial angle.

There are a lot of strange things going on.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A glorious morning here ... we’ve been sitting under the ash tree listening to a juvenile green woodpecker squawking for his parents just above our heads ... then we picked sweet peas and now it’s coffee time on the terrace with R3 quietly in the background. The plants on the terrace are so lush it’s almost tropical ... figs, grapevine, cannas, ginger lilies and euphorbia mellifera around us and bright red nasturtiums and pelargoniums, and little lilac daisies tumbling all over the table ... and in the studio the chillies are flowering and fruiting nicely ... Scully we have some tall ones with purple leaves and flowers, and some shorter sturdier green ones with much bigger glossy green leaves?

OH is doing a short 11-3 shift today so I’ll get the bread started and get in the studio ... better get the potatoes up and pick chard after the bread making :lol:

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:44 am

I don't know, Miss Mouse. I am sure the secuity guard didn't know either. Just following orders and getting a bit of a power kick.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 am

That sounds idyllic, Suffs.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:59 am

It is Herbi :mug: 8-)

Postby mistakened » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 am

herbidacious wrote:I think Leros might be the place I first had cafe frappe. You used to be able to make a ready made one which came with a shaker, and was essentially a very sweet coffee milk shake

These days it is essentially a cold Nescafe, milk and sugar optional.

Grilled Peaches and Halloumi for lunch, we have some fresh halloumi instead of the vac packed stuff.

Moira :mug:

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:33 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment but there's a bank of cloud heading our way in an hour or so. the bread should be able to be in before the sun goes (and comes back this afternoon).
if they are from chillies i gave you last year then they are possibly 'blue christmas' and the 'carolina reaper'. be careful with the latter - an eighth was enough in a chilli i made back last year - and i suggest you use rubber gloves!
the speculative news that we will all be wearing masks in shops, by the end of the week, is going to be interesting. looking at the webcams in st ives the only people who seem to wearing them are the people working at 'the sloop' (and a family of four sitting at one of their benches the other day).
i had to go and buy bread flour yesterday - (plenty in lidl) and i was the only one there wearing a mask. thankfully there weren't too many people in there.
in aldi, on the way home, there were only a couple of others, excluding the man putting his on as he got to the checkout behind me but who had removed it when his wife joined him in the line. i don't know if she'd said anything to him - but they had also ignored the 'one person, one trolley' rule the shop has.
the sanitising of the trolley handles had gone as well but interestingly one of the checkout guys was wearing a mask - he obviously has the same view of the efficacy of their screens as i do.
i wonder, if people were asked whether they felt 'safer' if someone else was wearing a mask they would say yes and if so, shouldn't they be wearing one? hmmm.... i'm not 'scared' (as the cautious seem to be labeled) if i was scared i wouldn't be going out at all. sensible precaution, is a way of normal life resuming quicker and if wearing a mask in public for the time being is what it takes to avoid another big wave then it's a small price to pay.
it would also be interesting to do a survey of how long people think two metres is (without looking at floor markings) some, i would suspect, might be mistaking it for two feet!
i wonder how many of the visitors down here at the moment brought masks with them - as i said, it's going to be interesting.
i need to do another sowing of peas and salad leaves - but this time in pots rather than as slug and snail food straight in the ground.
have a good day, everyone

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:46 am

No one is doing even a metre round here anymore, outside at least.
When I have been to a garden centre, they have had antibacterial spray to spray the handles, but who sprays the spray bottle?! No evidence of anyone anti-bacing their hands before or after spraying or wearing gloves.
I didn't see any masks in Derbyshire last weekend. Just a lot of lycra clad behinds.

The ants are swarming (right term? Some have wings...) ) on my patio. You can't walk on it without suddenly finding them all over your body. I think I may have to take some action.

Postby scullion » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 am

herbidacious wrote: I think I may have to take some action.

sprinkle some cornflour over them if you want to get rid of them. the flying ones (a queen and her prospective mates) will be gone soon anyway and the rest will be weakened, or die, trying to remove the cornflour. - but they don't do a lot of harm in the garden and they do provide yaffle food.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Yes, I normally just leave them, but it's a massive colony and you can't sit out without being covered. Not that I am doing a lot of *sitting* out... I have diatomowhatis earth stuff. Somewhere...

The garden is full of bees and butterflies. My plan is coming to fruition on that front.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:15 pm

We get lots of ants here on our sandy gritty ‘freedraining loam’ ... for the last two summers we’ve had them under the front porch and in the sitting room wall, coming out from behind the skirting board from time to time and exploring the house ... then the queen and males start climbing up the wall :shock: ... now we’ve discovered ExAnts ... it’s a concoction of aromatics which the ants avoid ... it really seems to work, sprayed along the edge of the floor and skirtingboard ... and no insecticides so we’re happy to use it indoors ... we bought it via Am@zon ... it’s made in Germany.
As we’ve got warm dry weather forecast I’ll spray along the cracks today ... just as a top up. :thumbsup

Radio 3 is excelling itself today :D The Archers have had to manage without me. :shock:

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:17 pm

I hope they don't take revenge, beyond husband and cats treading it through the house.

I have Ant Music in my head now....

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox