Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Pampy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 pm

PP - how's your daughter doing? And Smitch - how's poorly ratty?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 18, 2020 5:33 pm

Pampy wrote:PP - how's your daughter doing? And Smitch - how's poorly ratty?

Thanks for asking Pampy. Sadly the answer is not very well. Still in pain although not quite as bad. She’s been in a week now and is missing her small children very badly. The doctors are pushing for surgery to remove her colon. She texted this morning to say she felt slightly better but that’s about it.

Postby smitch » Mon May 18, 2020 5:50 pm

PP I hope she is soon on the road to recovery.

Pampy- the vet is treating Nelly for an ear infection so she is on strong antibiotics and two different anti-inflammatories. She is being well looked after by one of her friends and is snuggled up asleep at the moment. Fingers crossed the vet is right and she makes a good recovery. Thanks for asking about her.

Our water leak saga drags on. It is definitely coming from our supply pipe, which is uphill from where UU dug a hole on Friday. They’re sending someone out tomorrow to put another hole in the footpath behind our house :roll:
Last edited by smitch on Mon May 18, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pampy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Oh PP - I'm so sorry - at least her pain has lessened a bit. Bad at the best of times but even worse at the moment. Candles are lit.
Glad Nelly's getting treatment, Smitch :crossed she'll be feeling better soon.

Postby Uschi » Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 pm

PP, that is lousy. I do hope she can keep her colon anyway. Way back in the '80s they sometimes gave colons a second lease of life by laying a temporary stoma and putting what was basically a string of really large plastic beads into the affected part so it would still have "something to work on", but no faecal matter to make the ulcers worse.
Once the affected part of the colon had healed up the beads were removed and it was reconnected. I don't know whether your daughter is given such a choice, but the whole thing worked quite well.
Again, fingers crossed!!! :crossed

Smitch, fingers crossed for your little one, too. Give her and her friend a cuddle from me.

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Big hugs for all who need them. :newhuggy :newhuggy

PP, my friend's husband, who has ulcerative colitis and Chron's Disease, had a colostomy and whilst it took him a while to adapt, he's certainly far better now than he was prior to the surgery.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Oh dear, sorry to hear you news PP, I hope they can something to make her feel better soon
Hope her partner is coping ok with the children in lockdown

Good that Nelly is getting treatment smitch, that sound fixable
Hope the water proves also to be resolvable

My eye appointment for Wednesday has been shifted to an earlier time so nobody involved needs to travel in the rush hour, but it is going ahead

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 pm

:newhuggy to all who need it ....

Just caught sight of this story in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... oronavirus with Aldi joining with Deliveroo, initially Nottingham/E Midlands ...

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your daughter PP, hope something less drastic can be found.

Hope Nelly gets well soon Smitch.

Postby smitch » Mon May 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks all. Here is the patient with her twin, Norah, last year https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOZ-K7HL13/?igshid=1k88wq3qzt92g

I don’t actually know which one is which in this picture :lol: One has a slightly bigger stripe down her back, otherwise they look the same.

Postby Uschi » Mon May 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have shampooed my chives - they were smothered in blackfly, annoying as I went through the pot last week, removed some weeds and dead bits, and there wasn’t a sign of them then

Same here. I dipped them in warmish water with washing up liquid. They look a bit sheepish, but the greenfly/aphids seem decimated. Will repeat it a few times this week.
In German the little blighters, whether green or black are all lice. Leaf-lice (Blattläuse), is the literal translation.
Axel sprays his roses with soap water.
Smitch, they are sooo sweet!!!

Postby Grasshopper » Mon May 18, 2020 11:07 pm

From looking at the bottom of this page, it looks like we have loads of guests!

We have the kettle on! But please observe social distancing ;)

:lol:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 am

They are SO adorable, Smitch. They look very comfy in their little hidey hole!

Postby mistakened » Tue May 19, 2020 7:12 am

Good Morning Campers. PP, I know someone here who had his colon removed under similar circumstances, according to his wife he is now pain free but is careful what he eats.

Despite the heat I shall have to go out, this will include Lidl to buy icecream

Moira

Postby halfateabag » Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 am

The sun will be out later and I will light my oven and have a list of things to cook - quiche, meatballs, a rhubarb frangipani, baked potato wedges, a beetroot, bread pudding..... We are having a social distancing 4some tomorrow - out in the garden as the weather looks like it will be good. First time we have seen out fiends for over 8 weeks, we have a lot to catch up on !

Postby icelesley » Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 am

Good Morning campers. Herbie make room in your bag for another, we can chat while you wait and support you when you come out :thumbsup Good luck with you appointment and don't worry. Hugs for everyone else who needs one too. It's supposed to be sunny today, I don't think anyone told the sky, it looks like its going to rain :roll:

Postby Suffs » Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 am

Good morning campers :wave

A reasonable night and I feel rested :thumbsup

A gentle day pottering in the garden is planned .,. I’ll have a go at the couch grass which is attempting to set up home in the west-facing bed ... and toms and squashes to pot on ... :D

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks icey.
I had a really bad night thanks partly to a friend of husband's saying he (husband) will be 'a gonna' if he catches the virus on top of his chest infection (the friend is in complete isolation because of immunosuppressants) reigniting fears that my hospital appointment may result in me catching it and passing it on to him. And then my mother rang me quite late to say that life is too difficult and she doesn’t want to live any more...and she has run out of cash. My mother has run out of cash primarily because she has been paying her gardener cash and keeps asking neighbours and carers to get her things, some of them really not necessary things, like rubber bands, when she runs out of them rather than waiting and letting me do an online shop. I have mentioned that she ought not to do this, but she insists they are 'going anyway' or 'they don't mind'. One neighbour said he couldn't get her what she wanted without some cash. Really this neighbour should not be shopping anyway as he has a chronic lung condition and his wife is diabetic. I think my mother owes various people money, now.
She sounded low but also really very resentful, and made me feel bad as much as sorry for her. I think she wants me to say that I will go up.
Lucky for her, on the cash front at least, that I always stash envelopes of £100 in my old bedroom for when she runs out. (This happens often as she always insists that I get l less cash out for her than she needs. She's lasted this long because she has had one stash already and had a cleaner to pay.)
Obviously, I haven't told her about the appointment...

Sorry for the moan.

I's quite dull and breezy out. I have put some of my tomatoes outside for the day. Will do the rest in a bit. I think I might try leaving one out at night tonight. Monty Don says don't do it till June but the temperatures aren't supposed to dip below 11 over the next week.

I had better try and get on with some work. The Big Bang today.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 am

Good morning, another nice day here

Will go for a little walk and bake some falafel later, will also roast some cauliflower to go with them. I have a 1.87 kg monster cauli to use

Laundry to be done too

Have a good day everyone, Herbi I hope the Big Bang turns out to be absorbing and takes your mind off things

Postby scullion » Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment but should brighten later.
i must venture into the village shops today. i have a parcel to post and need to buy some milk (some scones and clotted might also slip into my bag).
i stayed up last night to see if a shop slot turned up. there were a few random ones that briefly showed, at around one o'clock, for three weeks time - so i nabbed one. i think they must be ones that people either forget they have booked or decide they don't need.
burgers and sweet potato chips for dinner tonight - one day i'll find a way to fry them crispy on the outside, like ordinary chips.
i feel for your anxiety, herbi. try to take solace in the fact that infections in london seem to be decreasing quite rapidly now.
hospitals are doing their best to keep the different disciplines well away from each other. i have a friend who rotates between two icu wards - a covid and a clean - they manage to keep things separated very well.
have a good day, everyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox