Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 pm

Nah - just said it out of mischief :tongueout - it only takes one dirty wasp bite.....!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Good morning
We had superb birdsong this morning - we are supposed to be a particularly good spot for it, the parakeets seem to have gone down to the river for lockdown

Are you watching SpringWatch Sue ? they have just had a sound guy (Gary Moor ?) who has explained that the dawn chorus starts 30 minutes before sunrise and goes on for 30 minutes after ... the first bird is the robin, the second is the blackbird ... then as it gets lighter, more birds join in. His recorded piece was a joy to watch and listen to. :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
We had superb birdsong this morning - we are supposed to be a particularly good spot for it, the parakeets seem to have gone down to the river for lockdown

Are you watching SpringWatch Sue ? they have just had a sound guy (Gary Moor ?) who has explained that the dawn chorus starts 30 minutes before sunrise and goes on for 30 minutes after ... the first bird is the robin, the second is the blackbird ... then as it gets lighter, more birds join in. His recorded piece was a joy to watch and listen to. :thumbsup

Ooh I must see that, I'd be fascinated. I am a complete ignoramus and would love to know what I'm hearing! I think I've worked out the robins and the blackbirds from actually seeing them while they're singing/tweeting.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm

I have my own nature expert living with me in the house at the moment. Having a peaceful cup of tea in the garden isn't possible now as she is continually pointing out birds that are visiting, or can hear their songs. I still have no idea what a goldcrest sounds like, but she hears them all the time :roll: ;) :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:

Will catch up later - Wednesday night is (losing) backgammon night at the moment - playing online, but against real people

Postby aero280 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Is your backgammon game arranged as part of a group? Or is it a sort of "join in on line anytime"? I have a friend who is a longdistance lorry driver. When he is staying overnight in his cab, he finds that he can win, and make money, later at night after the pubs shut and a lot of the other players are drunk and can almost be guaranteed to lose!! :)

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 27, 2020 11:26 pm

On my two little drives at the weekend I noticed very long queues for Superdrug and Boots, but not much else... but may not have driven past open supermarkets.

Postby mistakened » Thu May 28, 2020 7:25 am

Good Morning Campers, Sue I am jealous about your online backgammon, I have been unable to find on line Mah Jong, not to be confused with Mah Jong Solitaire
Waiting for a call telling us that the new washing machine is on its way.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am

Good morning campers :wave
It’s a beautiful morning ... and our first milk delivery arrived at 5:30 this morning ... plus a free gift of orange juice ... all in glass bottles :thumbsup
I’m so lucky ... I grew up with a father who knew birds and birdsong and I had an older cousin who showed me how to spot nests and watch birds without disturbing them ... and I’ll never forget the time he showed me a goldcrest’s nest in our old orchard.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu May 28, 2020 8:56 am

scullion wrote:https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/video-shows-tractor-spreading-slurry-4161214
what did they think would happen? that he would disengage it just for them‽‽

no, i don't watch that one - i don't find any joy in it (it may have changed but i haven't watched since the first series).

I saw that video on Facebook but not entirely convinced it wasn’t a set up like the car at speed going through a puddle and soaking a police officer. If it wasn’t then kudos to the tractor driver for carrying on with spreading because the fields need slurry more than illegally parked cars.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu May 28, 2020 9:12 am

mistakened wrote:
Pampy wrote:Could your last sentence explain the first?
but that does not explain the flour or pasta shortages

I don’t know about other supermarkets but my local Sainsbury’s has plenty of pasta now. I think folks bought it in bulk because of the lockdown as a substitute for potatoes.

The flour situation is different in that there is plenty of flour but the mills only produce a small quantity for public use and the machinery that produces the domestic size bags cannot cope with the demand. I think I read that about 90% of flour goes in bulk to bakeries etc. Morrison’s actually started bagging up flour for sale to the public from the bulk deliveries to their shops with in store bakeries.

Edit to add that I’d not read Sue’s post before posting this.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 28, 2020 9:33 am

Morning all! :wave. Another lovely day. Managed to get up early with the intention of having a walk before it gets hot. Trying to think of somewhere different to go where there won't be too many people. I do like walking beside water but so does everyone else.

The slurry thing must have been set up a bit to get onto social media but good for him anyway. I thought that the name of the person on the tweet must have been carefully selected too.

Off to get ready, good news re the milk, Suffs . I grew up being able to identify birds, trees and wild flowers quite well but find I can't remember them very well now :oops:.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 am

aero280 wrote:Is your backgammon game arranged as part of a group? Or is it a sort of "join in on line anytime"? I have a friend who is a longdistance lorry driver. When he is staying overnight in his cab, he finds that he can win, and make money, later at night after the pubs shut and a lot of the other players are drunk and can almost be guaranteed to lose!! :)

At backgammon? I’m not clear if you mean he plays live at the truck stops or on line
There are 2 main sites for playing online, Grid Gammon and Backgammon Galaxy, we play a club tournament organised via WhatsApp or Challonge (tournament organising site) only using the online sites for the actual games. But once you have an account you can just go and find someone to have a game with
When I was in Turkey we had a horrible coach driver who thought he was king of backgammon, I beat him in all 3 games - a single, a double and triple win, after that he wouldn’t play any more. Tournament play is more skilled than cafe play

I watched the Springwatch after play (I lost last night). I think it works well as a distanced programme and listened to the dawn chorus bit. The wrens in the cemery park are deafening sometimes, and they sing in the early evening too. I could hear the woodpeckers yesterday but couldn’t see them

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu May 28, 2020 10:44 am

Morning All

Hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather and staying alert of course!

If anyone is struggling to find dried yeast I have just had an e-mail from Squires Kitchen Shop, they have quite a lot in stock, plus deals on flour.

I am going to venture to the garden centre this morning (how daring) not stopping if there are queues of people there though.

Postby scullion » Thu May 28, 2020 10:51 am

good morning, all.
sunny - bread is already baking. my partner has finally come round to the method i have been suggesting since last year. he has finally realised the sense of the simple change.
he has also come round to sourdough - so we have plenty of dried yeast - he hasn't started the 200g that i bought for him a few weeks ago. i've also dried some of the spare sourdough starter to check how long it stores for and remains viable. there are times when that would be really useful.
the cake wasn't burnt, yesterday, it was perfect. it may have just been the smell of the ginger.
northleedsbhoy wrote:I saw that video on Facebook but not entirely convinced it wasn’t a set up

it could only have been a set up if the car had been parked there for long enough for the farmer to have checked the field, gone back and loaded the muck spreader (repeatedly) driven back the to the field (repeatedly) and spread the rest of the field before finally getting to the last bit where the car was parked. you can see in the film that the rest of the field is slurry coloured. he may have changed his spreading schedule to that field rather than another, that day, but i think i may have been inclined to do that too, if it had been my field.
the field was ready for spreading - you can see that it had already had a first silage cut.

i'm going to do my 'teddies' early, today. it's been a bit warm later in the day, for the last couple of days, for me to want to bother.
my partner changed the position of the trail camera (new toy he has bought), yesterday, to where we had though the badgers go over the hedge. the pics this morning show that it is actually cat alley. there were some pics of our two cats going into next door's garden (we already knew that they used that track) but it also showed at least three other cats (that we rarely see) using it too. he's going to move it again today.
the first place he'd positioned it was obviously our cat's bathroom. there were plenty of pics of them sat having a wash!
have another glorious day, everyone.

Postby aero280 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:00 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
aero280 wrote: I have a friend who is a longdistance lorry driver. When he is staying overnight in his cab, he finds that he can win, and make money, later at night after the pubs shut and a lot of the other players are drunk and can almost be guaranteed to lose!! :)

At backgammon? I’m not clear if you mean he plays live at the truck stops or on line

Ah! Sorry, he plays poker. He does it online from his laptop in his cab.

Postby liketocook » Thu May 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
It's a stunning day here now after a rather overcast start to it.
I managed to get my beans and courgettes planted out meaning I can move my bedding plants from the conservatory to the covered deck until they are big enough to harden off and plant out. I have my kitchen dining table back :D .
I'll see how hot it is out after the sun goes over a bit and might start painting the log store though lazing with my book in the shade with a cool drink sounds more appealing.
My son bought a bag of the Lidl frozen Greek style pastries at the weekend, he bought the one's with sesame, cheese and oregano. He baked a batch earlier and I sampled 1/2 of one, my they are good so with some salad that's lunch covered. :yum

Postby Amyw » Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Ah that’s good to know LTC, I was eyeing up those last week when I was at Lidl’s . I do like their “country “ of the week runs they do , they come up with some real gems

Postby scullion » Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 pm

just in case you missed this delightful gem about illustrated manuscripts. i listened to it while doing my bit of exercise - the time flew by and with the odd chuckle. well worth listening to.
knight fights giant snail.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Afternoon.

Lovely again. Slight breeze.

I have been trying to throw myself into work, having been a bit off piste for a while. I forgot how many work-related distractions/obstacles there are.

Just mixed up some neem oil insecticide. And some egg mayo for lunch.... much handwashing in between :)

Hope to prick out some seedlings later and have a tidy up on the patio area. Plus do pot audit. Maybe plant some very pot bound bought plants out...

LTC I just have one tray of seedlings in the sitting room now. (Which is why the patio is a mess.) Plus three small ones elsewhere in the house. They usually go into the glass-roofed lean-to before going outdoors, but it's actually too hot in there at the moment. Tonight perhaps. It is lovely to be able to move forward with things, but I fear I will never get to the stage where there isn't a really big job to do. Next up will be potting on courgettes and 'bell' peppers and putting the tomatoes on their quadgrow tanks. Oh and plant my spare beans out... And... and etc.

I'd be devastated if I suddenly had to go back to the office (fear of infection on the trains, and indeed many other things, aside.)

Pastries sound delish. I keep forgetting I have part cooked frozen mini croissants in the freezer. I do have chocolate eclairs in the fridge from yesterday's delivery :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox