Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:55 am

Hello from Leonberg. Arrived last night and stayed in this castle ! We are the only ones here.https://www.schloss-höfingen.com

Should be in upper France by close of play tonight. Might even get home a day earlier than planned if Eurotunnel play nice and not sting us for the cost of a duplicate crossing.

Boy! this has been an adventure and a half, some good some not so......

You all seem to be having a good time......

Postby mistakened » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:01 am

Sorry Zosh, could not get that website. Glad to read that you are on your way home.

I was going to make a quiche but it is not pastry making weather, I shall use the bacon for Carbonara instead. It is however excellent weather for making bread rolls, I make the dough in the bread maker

Moira :mug:

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:09 am

Good morning campers :D :mug:
A glorious morning ... sunshine and buzzing bees 8-)
I’ve been thinking that the floors need waxing and buffing ... but if I try hard I think I can ignore them a bit longer :tongueout
We had a lovely lemon and thyme roasted free range chicken for supper last night, with crunchy roasted baby potatoes
and roasted onions, carrots and courgettes from the garden with ‘purple’ French beans also from the garden. There’s loads of chicken left of course, so salad and baked potatoes tonight ...

Postby icelesley » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:12 am

Good Morning campers. The Sun is out again. :limbobanana I have another kitchen company coming today :!: then we have an appointment tomorrow over at Wren with the designer and to look at the products.
That sound :yum Suffs, we had roast beef and Yorkshire pud with steamed cabbage and baby carrots, roast parsnips an roast new potatoes from the garden and gravy..hmmmm lovely. So tonight it will be cold beef, salad and new potatoes :yum

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:24 am

Oooh I love cold roast beef Ice, especially if it’s rare ... with creamed horseradish :yum

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:21 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i woke up at about five thirty - far too early - so i tried to go back to sleep, then read for a while, then tried to go back to sleep again and then gave up at about a quarter to eight.
there's something that i thought i might need to do today, yesterday, but do you think i can remember what it is today‽ huh!
other than whatever it might be i have nothing planned.
there were no oranges in our delivery, last night. this means i will have to go to lidl in a few days time. it will be interesting to see if people are wearing baskets - like aero - or wearing masks instead.
our dinner last night included new potatoes, the last of the sugar snaps and a few broad beans all from the garden but i forgot the artichoke in the fridge - which was also from the garden.
have a glorious day, everyone.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 am

Morning all! :wave
Good to see you around, Zosh. I was only thinking yesterday that you'd gone a bit quiet.

I prefer cold chicken to cold beef.

It's a gorgeous day. I've been out to move the car and wished I was better organised for an early morning walk. I must tackle the mulberry bushes today, they need cutting back again and the fruit needs picking. The annoying woman down the road has had all her rubbish cleared from the back alleyway (a narrow path of flattened soil) and has finally moved the pallet of shingle from the parking bays at the front :woohoo: . She has used the excess shingle to make her part of the alleyway look really nice so now everyone else's looks worse as weeds have grown where we haven't been able to walk. I know I should be really pleased that she's made it nice at last but I find myself a bit miffed that hers now looks best.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:40 am

Morning. Sunny and warm here.

The Schloss looks lovely, Zosh. (Which almost rhymes...) Good luck wiht the rest of your journey.

Was whatsapping with husband's family last night re his mother's 80th birthday next year. They want to book a gite or chateau somewhere so that we all stay in it for a week to celebrate. This is my idea of absolute hell! A weekend would be a strain (a weekend was a huge strain last time I spent one with MIL, as some of you may remember), but a week?! I don't want to spend that amount of time with anyone other than husband. It was even suggested that we leave our cars in England and rely on Uncle and his husband's cars :o
Needless to say we would take our own car if it happened, and since it looks like they want to do it nearish to Uncle's house, we'd go via our house in Normandy.
Not sure if MIL will go for this. But she has suggested we all hire a cottage for new year, in the past.
Ah well. It's quite some time off. Northern France in Feb... :lol:

I decided to let my artichokes flower, Scully. I only have two. Maybe next year I will eat them. I have had these plants for a few years. There were five of them. Now down the two and a bit. They don't do well, but this is without doubt down to my neglect. (They are in very large pots.) The bees are loving the flower (so far only one out. I could yet eat the other one...)

I don't think this bee is very well. He seemed stuck in there and not moving so I gently lifted him out with a stick and he just up ended himself. If he were human, I'd wonder if he were drunk.

IMG_3038.JPG

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am

herbidacious wrote:Northern France in Feb... :lol:

I have been prevented from travelling to France due to heavy snow at that time of year. I'd be wary of booking anything because you never know (and the heating arrangements might not be geared up for very cold weather either!). Seems an excellent reason to protest!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 am

We shall see, EM. At least they are not suggesting we fly anywhere (yet...) MIL is not tolerat of cold and her brother has quite high standards. I was worrying about being open about needing my own, snore free bedroom. Uncle and husband snores, he says, and I know BL and SIL do. MIL, very young hephew in law, and I will be the only non-snorers (as far as I know.) Pity earplugs don't work. Sounds like rafters could be raised!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 am

Just thought I'd post this. Suffs, I think it was you who said it was easy to propagate watercress from cuttings.

This is from a tiny sprig from a bag of the stuff from the supermarket. I think it's doing ok...

(I really must get on with some work :o )

IMG_3044 (1).JPG

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:22 am

Good morning everyone,
It's rather grey and cool here this morning.
My "big" freezer has been a much needed defrost overnight so this morning it will get a good wash out. While empty my son is going to haul it out so we can give behind it a good clean, it's very grotty there :oops: . The contents are currently in a spare chest freezer that my ex was getting rid of and my took to store for when either him or his brother buy a house. It's not massive but my it holds a lot of stuff, however not for me as reaching the bottom is so hard.
I've mince defrosted to make ragu to have tomorrow with pasta. I might make a lasagne for a change. Tonight it's cheats version of a katsu-style curry.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am

Morning all
Hot and sunny here, was up to 30 degrees before I put the blinds down ....

The day could have started better.
OH thought he had boiled the kettle for coffee but poured cold water into the cafetiere ... he then microwaved the mixture (not in the metal cafetiere, I should add ...!)
I then clumsily scalded the back of my hand with boiling water .... don't ask .... but fortunately after running cold water over it and applying homeopathic burn ointment it's fine.

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I made a "lockdown" cake with three ingredients (or 4 if you include zested lemon) that was so awful I have had to throw it away. I joked that maybe we should have had that for breakfast with the microwaved coffee as it would complete the experience :lol: :lol:

However, we drank the coffee and then made some more ... so the day has started afresh :lol:

Must do my car insurance. I have some questions and am already dreading hanging on the telephone for ages, waiting for a human being to speak to ...

Gorgeous pics, Herbi!

Have a good day everyone :thumbsup

(I mustn't forget to go to the surgery tomorrow morning for a blood test. It's in my diary but I never look at it. Hopefully, having written this now I'll remember ...)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Good morning -
We had really heavy rain around midnight but it’s lovely now, must put the washing machine on and head out

LTC my 4ft 11in mum decided she wanted a chest freezer when they were the only kind, she was a bit surprised when me, my dad and a random uncle all vetoed the idea on the grounds it wasn’t safe for a titch. We had visions of her self immolated in a sound proof garage

Have a good day everyone

Postby smitch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Morning all.

Had a lovely weekend. We had planned to drive to the coast yesterday but neither of us fancied being in the car for that long. Instead, we went on the bus to Uppermill (nearby fancy village) for a wander, then walked a couple of miles along the canal for an ice cream. The queue was ridiculous so we almost didn't bother but it was definitely worth the wait.

Unfortunately my medication induced migraine came back on Friday afternoon :cry: The sumatriptan from the GP is just about keeping it under control but I was only given 6 tablets in my prescription and I've almost used them all.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Good morning -

LTC my 4ft 11in mum decided she wanted a chest freezer when they were the only kind, she was a bit surprised when me, my dad and a random uncle all vetoed the idea on the grounds it wasn’t safe for a titch. We had visions of her self immolated in a sound proof garage

Yep that would be me, I'm only 5ft 3in and not bendy these days. I have a horrible vision of been stranded in a very undignified position...... :lol: :lol:

Sorry you are still struggling to find a proper solution for your migraine smitch :newhuggy

Postby mistakened » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm

I had a chest freezer and am 5ft 4in, there were some surprising items lurking in the bottom of the freezer, I could not reach them :roll:
We have given in and turned on the A/C. It is good weather for getting your bread rolls to rise without the aid of a proving drawer, this lot were plain white rolls, some topped with sesame seeds.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:06 pm

smitch wrote:Morning all.

Unfortunately my medication induced migraine came back on Friday afternoon :cry: The sumatriptan from the GP is just about keeping it under control but I was only given 6 tablets in my prescription and I've almost used them all.

So sorry Smitch, I hope you manage to get some more very soon ... :newhuggy

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Smitch, you could do without that couldn't you? Hope they can get your migraines/medication sorted and compatible. :newhuggy

Glad your trip has gone so well Zosh! :thumbsup

Sounds like we're a proper mixed bag with weather today. It's not at all bad here- not warm (chilly breeze) but mainly dry and some sunny spells. Hope you all enjoy your respective Mondays. :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby cherrytree » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:26 pm

I’ve just been down to Maryport Harbour having read in Cumbria Life about the fishing boats selling fish straight off the boat. We had to wait whilst the fish was unloaded - the boat arrived precisely at 1pm as promised. There must have been about 60 of us in the queue . There was skate halibut, turbot monkfish ,langoustines and other gorgeous stuff. I’ve bought two Dover soles which cost £7. It seemed a real bargain. I just hope they taste as gorgeous as they look. I’ll report back tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox