Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:06 pm

good aftermorning, all.
sunny at the moment - i'll be heading out for some exercise while the play is on in an hour or so. i haven't been out for a few days.
i have the dilemma of what to do about upgrading my mac to the next iteration of os - it'll no longer support my office for mac.
i use the mac 'pages' (and other office comparable programs on the mac) but it's not word compatible so i'm thinking that i'll go for open office in its mac version. i see that possibly, another, later version has been posted by janet. i will look at that one, too.
i don't do cloud storage either. i back up to an external hard drive.
maybe i'll downloaded and start practicing before making the final decision.
the last of a close little circle of friends of my partner had has died. his first family, sons and siblings are rather confused and very upset (and angry) as his last wife will let them have no input, and made some strange decisions with 'unfortunate outcomes' just prior to his death, too.
so sad, lovely man.
have a good afternoon, everyone.

edit - i'm just checking - pages may now be compatible with office - i will read some more.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 pm

I liked Picasa too... especiallyfor face recognition. Useful when you are uploading unlabelled ancient family photos. But I know there is other software that does this.

I use Lightroom, and need something to convert RAW files but if you are just working on jpegs, I think the Windows picture editor is not bad for light editing. Certainly for cropping and straightening. Google images has a nice 'pop' facility too.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Scully, our condolences to your OH ...very hard for his family :( ... second wives are sometimes a bit possessive, or controlling, or both. I dread to think what'll happen should my ex become unable to make his own choices ............ controlling isn't really the word for the latest Mrs E ........ :shock:

I've just managed to organise an online order/delivery from Sainsbugs for Wednesday evening. The first I've done with them for years. Fingers crossed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Pampy wrote:A mere youngster - I pre-date PCs! :lol: :lol:

Oh well yes, I enjoy telling uppity IT guys that I had mainframe programming certifications long before they were born.

Sorry to hear your OHs news scullion, it’s really awkward when one person decides they “own” the bereavement and grieving process whatever the family structure - I’ve seen a number of instances

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly, Scully. Sorry to hear that.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Scully so sad to read your news, thoughts are with you and your OH.

Herbi, hope you have recovered from the cupboard drama, and that the cats came home safe and sound.

We have no problem with Sainsbugs, find them very reliable, more often than not our delivery comes out from the Norwich base, very few changes to what we had ordered.

Postby aero280 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:07 pm

The options that you have as a Microsoft office on the Mac are Neo Office, Libre Office and Apple's own iWork set - Pages, Numbers, etc. I have LibreOffice but I don't use these things much these days. We still have a old 2008 copy of Microsoft Excel and Word (I didn't load any others) on the desktop which my wife uses mostly.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Scully, how very sad for your partner. As for the way families deal with such things, I, like most here, was brought up to be fair and it horrifies me how unfair some people are in such circumstances. It's a reminder that it's a good idea to get one's own affairs and wishes in very good order to try to at least minimise problems.

I've been happy with Sainsburys, as good as any other I imagine.

I'm dreading next time I have to purchase a new device now!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:55 pm

I just spotted this on Sainsburys

Chop Chop
Get 20 items in 60 minutes
Whether you need ingredients for tonight's meal or you're simply running low on everyday essentials, our team of personal shoppers will deliver Sainsbury's items to your door.
Delivery within 60 minutes
Minimum spend £15
£4.99 delivery fee
Subs price promise

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:58 pm

aero280 wrote:The options that you have as a Microsoft office on the Mac are Neo Office, Libre Office and Apple's own iWork set - Pages, Numbers, etc.

i have emailed a document in three different formats to my partner (as he has to print from his computer as there's no driver for me) the straight pages one - that i didn't expect him to be able to open. the pages converted to word inside the pages program and as a convert to a pdf. needless to say the one that worked was the pdf conversion but as he has an old copy of ms office it may be that that has a say in how the .docx was received (it got through as a line of the original per page!) i will look into libra office.

Earthmaiden wrote:It's a reminder that it's a good idea to get one's own affairs and wishes in very good order to try to at least minimise problems.

unfortunately, in this case, that wouldn't help. his siblings and sons know that he amended his will shortly before his death but they are unable to find it (or get access). the wife is not british, has strong religious views (non christian), and is going to take the body back to her country to have the full works funeral - even though he was a confirmed, and vocal, atheist. the british family are to be excluded from the funeral.

Postby icelesley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Good Evening Campers. Scully :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy
We had our second large load today taking oxygen to a major hospital ready for a second wave of corona virus out break, which is looking more possible :roll: it was a lot longer than the last one, we didn't have as many spectators this time as it was raining, but there were a few. The next one is in two weeks. I haven't seen my neighbour yet to see our weight loss for he week yet, mine was a miserable 3/4 lb totaling 5 1/2 lb at our halfway point. I think she might have given up, but we will see.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 am

Scully :newhuggy :newhuggy

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 am

Good Morning Campers, the gardeners were here at 7 30, they have already sorted out the yucca, it is one of tall ones. The rush fencing is now being replaced, this has required them to go next door so they being closely supervised by Andreas. I have a load of washing in the machine, I think that it had better be dried inside on the rack, too much dust.
Personally I shall retreat to Lidl

Moira

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Lovely to have that mug of coffee in the morning :thumbsup

The folk on the corner diagonally across from us applied for planning consent last year for an extension ... it seems that following the extensive tree cutting activities in the garden earlier, the extension is about to happen. There have been the sounds of groundwork being done behind the hedge over the weekend and a skip had been filled up. Even more exciting, the garage door has been opened for the first time since we came here in 2011 ( there was a lot of scraping and squealing of the metal door) and now we can see inside ... it looks as if the contents of an elderly persons house has been crammed in and left for years. Now it’s all being taken out and stacked in the parking area around the cars ... my first guess is that the new fitted kitchen is being delivered today ...

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 am

The phone rang, it was Effie, Poppi next door has asked that gardeners do a lot of extra work for her benefit. She has been politely told that the men will only be replacing the current fence. She says that the posts are of uneven height, she would like them of a similar height, please.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 am

Good Morning campers. It's very windy this morning, the garden chairs have just blown over :roll: I think it will rain any minute too.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 am

Well ... I was wrong ... vans with the logo of an insulation business have backed up to the garage ...

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 am

Suffs wrote:Well ... I was wrong ... vans with the logo of an insulation business have backed up to the garage ..
I am glad to read that the house will be properly insulated next winter.
The skip is being filled with garden waste, the new car was moved up the road prior to the skip truck bashing its way up the track

Moira

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm

Good morning everyone,
My condolences to you and your OH scully :newhuggy :newhuggy
It's another wet and wild day here. I woke just before 7 to the sound of the wind howling and the rain battering down and thought nope not getting up yet. Next thing I knew it was after 9.30 and goodness knows how long I would have snoozed for if the phone hadn't rang! Thankfully I have nothing that needs doing at a set time today so won't have to play catch up.
Refried bean tacos for dinner tonight, my son cooked the beans yesterday so I just need to put together the "bits" later.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Morning all! :wave. Excellent curtain twitching going on here today! Nothing so exciting here. I have seen a parking officer talking to the inconsiderate woman down the road at last :klingonbanana . She had a pallet with a bag of shingle on it delivered weeks ago and has been taking a spadeful out every now and then as she titivates her garden. Meanwhile the pallet is taking up space in an already crowded residents parking bay and she has blocked the back alleyway/path with all the things she no longer wants in her garden. To crown it all she's just got a yappy dog. At Christmas and Easter she knocks on everyone's door and gives them cards, chocolate and smiles ... I don't often have a desire to ram something down someone's throat but ......

Had the inevitable night of the week when I dont want to go to sleep last night so am late getting moving today. I have a list of jobs, some have been transferred to tomorrow. Today's main events are a longish walk to a place I haven't walked before and a stop to pick up a parcel from the post office on the way home. I ordered 3 items from Amazon and asked for them to be delivered together. One was despatched early 'for my convenience'. This is that parcel, the other things arrived last week :roll:.

Scully - yep that's a tough one :(.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox