Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby mistakened » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:17 am

I have had a conducted tour of the new car and driven it around the area. Thank heavens that it is a bit higher off the ground, it makes entrance and exit so much easier, there is no parking/handbrake which is a bit disconcerting.

A hot day today 40C forecast for Nicosia, we are cooler in the hills but the humidity is about to descend. A line of clouds forms out over the sea, it gradually gets closer. One day you cannot see that cloud, that is because it is on top of you.
I suspect that the A/C will be turned on this afternoon.

Apricots have been poached, they are cooling prior to freezing.

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:19 am

Pat, those are very nice pieces of furniture.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:55 am

herbidacious wrote:Pat, those are very nice pieces of furniture.

thanks Herbi ... I am really pleased with them. Not cheap, but as I said before, this company will make EXACTLY what you want, to the dimensions that you want. The lady who dealt with my order was extremely helpful.

Good morning everyone :wave

I have woken up to a much more cooler morning and I can see we have had enough rain for the garden :thumbsup

Last night on my local FB Group, I stirred up a hornets nest. Someone posted and asked if the local barber was open today ..(he happens to be my adjacent neighbour) I commented how could he legally be open when other barbers and hairdressers can't open until 5th July :? :roll: .. Then others joined in with either supporting comments, or negative ones and I ended up being called a grass ! :shock: Seems this barbers has never closed :evil: :evil: :evil:

My conscience is clear ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 pm

We've had a lovely downpour! The air is lovely and fresh now.

Herbi - so pleased it seems that the door can be made safe. It will be really lovely to get away for a few days and although visits to your mother can be challenging, they're important for you both.

My car's got an automatic handbrake.I am just about used to it, it's a PITA when doing things like parking in small spaces on a slope. I still haven't perfected the art of just pulling away gracefully, I'm usually wedged into a parking space that needs several times going backwards and forwards to get out and I don't think they were really designed for that - nor were the back and front sensors which scream at me when getting into what I consider to be a generous space!

Right, off I go to blitz and tidy to the standard GDs mum will expect when she visits for the first time in 3 months next week. :roll:.(can't let my side of the family down :lol:).

Oh dear Pat :lol: :lol:.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:20 pm

Patsy, hope you do grass him up. Frankly, I've no patience with said barber. I know many of them are self-employed and struggling but its no excuse in my book. So there. :D

Re surveys- we had a structural one done on previous (Victorian terrace) house and said surveyor missed a whole rake of stuff (including a potential problem with the bay, which we later had rectified at considerable cost, dodgy electrics including bakelite switches and an issue with the drains). His report did, however, note that house was around half a mile from a railway (which oddly enough, we knew) and that there was an 'unsightly erection' at the bottom of the garden (a rather sweet shed that I later renovated).

Herbi, hope all gets sorted (both in relation to house and mother) without too much pain..... :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Good morning everyone,
And so it rains and it's a tad cooler this morning though still a nice temperature. We are forecast for more thunder this afternoon before rain and strong winds tomorrow. No doubt the rain will go off in time for the midgies to come out :roll:
Unless a better offer comes along I think I'll work on the out of school club accounts, not how I'd prefer to spend a summer Saturday but they need doing and it's not a day for gardening!
My son finally managed to get some hair clippers, his hair is thick and unruly like mine so has got wide rather than long. With his height, build, full beard and red hair he'd be perfect for the cast if they wanted to remake Braveheart :lol: :lol: :lol: . Hopefully between we can tame it into some sort of order with completely scalping him!

Postby scullion » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:24 pm

good morning, all.
mixed summer weather and breezy.
i was not available yesterday. i'm pretty sure it was due to the propane we cook with. i had knocked one of the hob taps on slightly on thursday and didn't notice until i could smell it, probably only a few minutes. it gives me the most awful headache.
it took me ages to work out what it was the first time it started happening, some years ago, when i would get the headaches (albeit a bit milder than yesterday's) a couple of times a week coinciding with being at home, all day, the day before. we changed the cooker and the headaches stopped. thank goodness it's almost gone.
what a shock, herbi. i hope you've recovered a bit of calm. it wouldn't surprise me if the same happened to us sometime - our cupboards are well loaded.
earthmaiden, when you said you're in a bubble with your granddaughter, do you mean that you're in a bubble with her and her family? i am under the impression that it's the households that are 'combined' rather than one person from the other household and the single person household.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Scully :shock: that’s not good. Glad you worked out what was wrong.

Sourdough bread and pizza bases have been proving a while ... washing is dry and indoors and red radicchio and Swiss chard seeds have been sown and netted against marauding felines.

Sadly we have a deceased young blackbird on the terrace ... OH might not be so sad when I tell him that it flew up into the window from his ripening blueberries ... and there are several bare stems! :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 pm

scullion wrote:earthmaiden, when you said you're in a bubble with your granddaughter, do you mean that you're in a bubble with her and her family? i am under the impression that it's the households that are 'combined' rather than one person from the other household and the single person household.

Yes, it's just that the household set ups for all who might be involved in childminding aren't very straightforward and there were a lot of considerations with bubble creation. I am now in a bubble with GD and her ultra clean and tidy ma (which is why I've got to start tidying up all the time again :evil:).

Can you get alarms which cover propane escapes?

Poor bird, what a nice last supper!

Postby Lokelani » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:27 pm

What a drama with the cupboard collapse. How scary & very sad to lose favourite bits of glass or china.

New cars do take a bit of getting used to these days, so many buttons & automatic features that you don't necessarily want or need! Ours is always beeping at me & often won't do what I want. I never used to have a battle of wills with my old car! :lol:

Blissfully cool here & a lovely breeze. Thank goodness after the last few boiling hot days. Both dog walks were much more fun, didn't even mind getting drizzled on for most of the first walk, it was rather refreshing! Great that it's windy enough to actually cool the house down too. :)

Postby icelesley » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Good evening Campers, :wave it's raining, has been all day, it changes between monsoon and light shower, but you can't tell which will hit you when you go outside until it does, weather Russian roulette. :lol: :lol: :lol: I have been caught out twice since teatime, so I have just had a nice warm shower and washed my hair whilst OH watches footie, :thumbsdown but hey I have missed most of the footie ;) so all is good

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:11 pm

Good heavens Scully, you had a very lucky escape there. All should be well now.

Oh Pat! What a to do!!! Naughty man. :roll:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Renee wrote:Oh Pat! What a to do!!! Naughty man. :roll:

And he went off to work in the barber shop today :roll: :evil:

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Of course ... no conscience! :evil:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Evening all, lots to catch up on!

Pat, what gorgeous furniture, worth paying for to get exactly what you want and looking as good as that :thumbsup

Herbi, I hope you are feeling OK. :newhuggy

EM, Good luck with the good housekeeping tasks!!

Had a wet day here with a few intermediate dazzlingly sunny interludes.

I've been trying to decide on my next laptop purchase as my existing one, which I love, is really in its dotage. Only 8 yrs old but needs a new battery and is hugely slow and also I'm only running Windows 7.

I think I'm going to go for a 2 in 1 - ie one that can also be used as a tablet although without a detachable keyboard as those ones are a lot more expensive.

I was all set to order it and also pay for MS Office as it's £20 off if you buy it at the same time as a laptop at John Lewis and DS said I was mad! Apparently Google Docs is a very good alternative to Word; I certainly won't be doing any PowerPoint presentations and I'm not terribly competent with Excel ....

Do any of you use Google Docs as your default? If so, how do you find it?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 pm

I’m still using Office as I got it for very little as someone who used for work. I need to ditch my pc and will lose it when I do so I’m dreading it

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:15 pm

I use Office. Sometimes use Google docs for dictation.

I prefer Office, buyt it's what I am used to.

I guess it might depend on how much you use it. It's online only though? I resist cloud based things as much as possible for various reasons.

I seem to get though a lap top every two years :( Current one is (literally) on the blink.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:25 pm

I need to get a new pc. The current one is over 10 years old, running Windows 7 and Office 2003. That version of Office won't run on Windows 10 and there also isn't a current version of Office that I can upgrade it to, so I'm going to have a real job trying to convert all my word and excel files. My pc is so old that I've had to get add-ons for Bluetooth and wi-fi!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:39 pm

I don’t have a lap top - I have a tower pc that is 13 years old but has been progressively upgraded to run Windows 10 and Office 2016 and currently works fine with a 27 inch monitor. I always had work laptops - we weren’t allowed to access work stuff from computers not owned and maintained by the company for security reasons, and we couldn’t install any software ourselves.

I’m often shocked to find out what friends with other employers can access from personal/home computers, I hope none of my personal data is in their company databases

I’ve just finished watching Staged, David Tennant and Martin Sheen, wonderful

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 pm

I worked in IT for many years before I retired and have always used a company device to access systems both remotely and locally but have often been very concerned about the cavalier attitude to data security and protection shown by some of the "powers that be". As a consequence, I'm exceptionally careful about my personal data security and privacy. I wonder how many people who have started to work from home since the lockdown are working in a secure environment. I saw a piece on the news today that there are increasing numbers of cyber attacks on employees wfh in the US.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox