Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 am

Suffs wrote:Car seats cost a fortune EM! Gone are the days of wedging the carrycot in the back of the Volvo estate with a haybale or carting 8 Cub scouts around in the same. Probably just as well.
:

Don't I know it! Actually, they're less than I'd expected and convert as the child gets older so this could last up to 7 years. They're wonderful these days and clip in and out easily. Oh yes, done the 8 cub scout thing - sometimes after a couple of glasses of wine in an MGBGT. Thank God we're all still here! When I was small, I used to get a lift to school with 3 boys. I was allowed to sit in the front and the boys in the back used to have cap fights which got so raucous the mother had to stop the car and refuse to go further until they stopped. No seat belts or car seats then!

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am

cherrytree wrote:These are the two boats that are on Facebook..On there it tells you when the boats are due in.
Cheralis Fresh Fish
Silver Fern Fresh Fish
I only read about them last night.

Thanks Cherrytree- that's really useful. :thumbsup

Suffs, your kebabs sound wonderful!! :yum

Chinch- hope you feel better soon... :newhuggy

Mixture of sun and cloud here. Still fairly cool but very pleasant. Washing is in the garden and I'm awaiting a Sainsbury's delivery. We're having Delia's Pork Strog for tea, with noodles.

See you later folks :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:22 am

Good morning everyone,
Ouch chinch hope the GP can offer some decent pain relief :newhuggy
When I was growing up my Dad had a Ford Anglia, 2 adults, three kids, suitcases, a box of tinned food and the (largeish) dog all used to cram in somehow to go on caravan holiday. Sometimes there was a tent, sleeping bags etc.as well if we were going camping. No seatbelts of course and us kids were usually perched on the suitcases on the back seat. It would have been carnage if there had been a crash!
Dry and sunny here today so no excuse not to weed today, every time I went to venture out yesterday it poured!
The big and ancient freezer seems to be non the worse for being defrosted and is good to go again! I just need to get it refilled and then the chest one can it stashed in the garage.
Lasagne for dinner tonight, I made the ragu yesterday and I've bechamel defrosting so it just needs layering up later.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:32 am

I remember when people with “estate cars” would fold the seats flat to fit more children in, six of us and all the gear going to the beach in the back of a Hillman Husky - and coming back wrapped in damp towels

BiL had the Peugeot estate with 3 rows of seats in the 70s, the kids liked to travel squatting in the “way back” - the rear luggage space

Postby smitch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 am

Morning all!

Just spoke to the GP, I have a prescription for more Sumatriptan plus a beta blocker to try prevent the migraines. Had another when I woke up this morning but it has gone now. Will walk up to the pharmacy later on, the fresh air will be nice too!

Postby liketocook » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:28 pm

smitch wrote:Morning all!

Just spoke to the GP, I have a prescription for more Sumatriptan plus a beta blocker to try prevent the migraines. Had another when I woke up this morning but it has gone now. Will walk up to the pharmacy later on, the fresh air will be nice too!

smitch the beta blockers worked really well for preventing my "silent" migraines - they do take a bit of getting used to and some of the side effects aren't great but well worth seeing if they help :newhuggy . It took about 3 months for me to see a difference.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Hope the prescription top ups work smitch, at least the GP is taking the migraine seriously

Postby smitch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks Sue and LTC. The GP has been great, I think I've spoken to her more over lockdown than during a 'normal' year! I'm glad I got a pre-payment certificate for my prescriptions too :lol:

Now all I need to do is get the guinea pigs to stop shouting at each other before my 12.00 meeting :roll:

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:42 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Isn't that something to do with erratic watering Lesley ?

Hi Patsy.
Yes it is overwatering, I checked on RHS. I should only water every three days. I put the auto watering system on and forgot about it as the timer is broken so it overwatered. I won't do it again. :crossed

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:28 pm

Hope the beta blockers do the trick Smitch :newhuggy

Re LTC's comment about the Ford Anglia- what's the first family car you can remember? I still have fond memories of my father's Morris Oxford (I used to like to sit on the arm rest on the back seat. It was long before the days of mandatory seat belts and child seats) and I also remember my grandfather taking me to nursery school in his car, which had those indicators that came out of the sides rather than indicator lights. Can't remember what the car was other than it was black, but oh how I adored those indicators.... :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:BiL had the Peugeot estate with 3 rows of seats in the 70s, the kids liked to travel squatting in the “way back” - the rear luggage space

We had the eighties version, the Peugeot 505. How I loved driving that car. Did us to and from Brittany many times. :clap

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:45 pm

We had a Morris Oxford too, followed by a Standard Vanguard.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Yes good luck, Smitch. I do hope they help. I was on beta blockers for a long while. They sometimes made my heart slow down a bit too much for my liking, but they had a good side effect of bringing my eye pressure down. (I regularly and fruitlessly get referred for possoible glaucoma.)

Was going to put this on the new gardening thread, but can't. V excited to find this in the garden just now. I only spotted the plant yesterday. It must have shot up suddenly. I had no idea what it was. I thought it was going to be something really boring.
Malope triffida. Grown from seed, but don't remember putting it here! It looks to have lots of flower buds too :)

IMG_3045.JPG
Last edited by herbidacious on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby nursemimi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Morning :mug: it will be hot here that's normal.
Hugs to all those that are not feeling well.
I worked Saturday, yesterday and I will work tomorrow.
Then I don't work again till next Wednesday. I am feeling better
but I am going about things slowly.
My mom had a Ford Galaxy 500 it was huge bright red with a white interior
I used to lay in the back window sure would not let anyone do that now.

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 pm

Glad you are feeling better Mimi. :thumbsup It's gone quite cool here the sun has gone behind the clouds, the beast is still flat out in her bed outside though

Postby nursemimi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Thank you Ice
your dog sounds lovely mine are asleep in the living room.

Not doing much today taking it easy I will go to the store
Need a few groceries. will give the garden a water and that's about it.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:06 pm

My late Mum's toyboy has still got a Standard Vanguard. A 1955 model, iirc.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Good to see you feeling better Mimi- don't go rushing around will you? :newhuggy

Someone who lived in the same village bought my father's Morris Oxford after he traded it on and I saw it at regular intervals for much of my primary school years. Wonder what happened to it? Even then it was well old-fashioned (I think Dad bought it second hand). I expect it has long since been scrapped.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:

My late Mum's toyboy has still got a Standard Vanguard. A 1955 model, iirc.

Blimey,

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:03 pm

My Dad had a a Triumph Mayflower, registration number FRV 185 (I was always made to memorise car registrations and holiday addresses in case I got lost)
Then we had a maroon Morris Oxford, which was the first car we took abroad
Then Dad was very excited as he got his next car from new, he got to choose the colour (Glen Green) and everything :lol: - it was a Hillman Minx

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox